Dismiss Notice
We are rebuilding the search index and other forum caches this morning. Search results may not appear correct until indexing has completed, and the forum may respond a little slower than normal until this has finished.

Zune and Lossless files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by greghadz, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greghadz

greghadz Member Thread Starter

I just bought a Zune, my first digital media player other than discmans. I want to transfer as much music in a lossless format as possible, so I went with the 120gb. (room to grow). I had asked a salesperson about .wav files; he wasn't sure but he knew it could do lossless. Looking at what info is available, it apparently doesn't handle wav files. So...

what is the best and easiest way to update wav files already on my computer either to WMA Lossless, or another acceptable substitute?

I have not downloaded the Zune software yet; it just arrived and I'm back at work now. But this is what I'm working with at home:

Dell Dimension computer (around 5 years old)
    Roxio Media Creator v7
    Windows Media Player (version 7 or 8, not sure which)

I will most likely not be doing much downloading; most will be taken directly from my cd collection. I don't anticipate using it for storing video or pictures; all 120gbs will eventually be music.

ZUne also accepts WMA Standard and WMA Pro 2-channel (both up to 320 kpbs; 48khz sample rate; AAC and all mp4, mp3 formats - but if those are all lossy I don't want that.

Best format? Uncomplicated and easy way to transfer? If I need to download another program that will make it easier that's okay. I'm just trying to avoid a multi step process. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. edb15

edb15 Forum Resident

dpPowerAmp

3. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

I'd suggest using WMA Lossless http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928191 since it's supported by the player, along with WAV (but you don't get tagging with WAV). To transfer, I believe you need to use the Zune program, much like you generally need to use iTunes for the iPod. The Zune isn't really an open system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.