Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Yello, new album, 'Point', August 28th, 2020.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

CD, LP and Collector's box (signed copies available).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First song, 'Waba Duba'

The box set has 3 extra tracks.

POINT Limited edition collector’s box set

Disc 1 – CD
    1 Waba Duba
    2 The Vanishing Of Peter Strong
    3 Way Down
    4 Out Of Sight
    5 Arthur Spark
    6 Big boy’s blues
    7 Basic Avenue
    8 Core shift
    9 Spinning my mind
    10 Hot pan
    11 Rush For Joe
    12 Siren Singing

Bonus tracks:
    13 Insane
    14 Zephyr Calling
    15 Meet my angel

Disc 2 – Blu-ray Montreux Jazz Festival 2017

Disc 3 – DVD Montreux Jazz Festival 2017 on DVD

Disc 4 – Picture disc vinyl LP

Side A

1 Waba Duba
    2 The Vanishing Of Peter Strong
    3 Way Down
    4 Out Of Sight
    5 Arthur Spark
    6 Big boy’s blues

Side B

7 Basic Avenue
    8 Core shift
    9 Spinning my mind
    10 Hot pan
    11 Rush For Joe
    12 Siren Singing

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/yello-point/hnum/9898731

My only gripe is that the box contains a picture disc and not black or even colored vinyl.

Lupe Lu, RAZORMADE, Jason W and 7 others like this.
  2. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

I am excited!
    Have been thinking that it may be time for a new Yello album by now.
    Have pre-ordered the box within a blink after reading the news, hopefully still in time.
    Though I am not too excited about the new track, but I also wasn't for many of their previous albums. So often it turns out the "singles" are the weaker trakcs for me that work only or better in context of the whole album.
    I don't care for the LP, but as a picture disc it may be a nice addition. And the price of the whole box is just ... amazingly fair! I had expected almost twice the price. 55 EUROs is certainly great value for the money, more than many other artists provide.

Yay! A new Yello album has appeared on the horizon!

Bruno Primas and Groovy like this.
  3. hEARt PhoniX

As of now jpc.de is listing the box as out of stock. The amazon.de entry is a bit vague, but it can still be ordered. Though Itrust jpc more, I believe they at least try to take only as many orders as they can fulfill.

4. Starmix

Starmix Forum Resident

Hi Guys
    I know this probably isn’t the right place to discuss this but I’ve just managed to pick up a copy of Yello “Mixed Up” 2cd. Are there any Yello fanatics out there that have any information about the source material as a few tracks sound like vinyl rips.

5. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Hope more Dieter than guest vocalists this time around. The odd track is okay, but he seems of a guest vocalist anymore. Good news.

englishbob likes this.
  6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

oooh love these guys, was playing Stella now and did a search to find out new music is on the way...hurray.

LarsO likes this.
  7. englishbob

englishbob Its a s*** business

Agreed - the last album he was hardly there. Although the new track is predictable Yello

8. Groovy

The latest single from the new album is 'Out Of Sight':

9. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

Yes, this is a bummer. Would have purchased this if it was black or even colored vinyl. I do not like picture discs.

10. bladerunner555

bladerunner555 Forum Resident

Thanks for the warning.This is the exact reason why I seldom listen to The Eye.I have not checked out any of their albums after.

11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

It's on my Must Purchase list. :righton:

12. Groovy

englishbob and Matt S like this.
  13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

14. englishbob

Expensive outlay this at £23 for a single album, and yet again no download code with the vinyl. On the VPN later then...

15. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Listened to Point a few times this morning. Easily the best album since early 90s. Lots of Dieter and the album flows.

bever70, Surly, jamesc and 1 other person like this.
  16. englishbob

Look at this, actual information on the album sleeve about what you are getting! It will never catch on

[​IMG]

bever70 and Krzych like this.
  17. Groovy

As I'm waiting for my JPC order to get here, I'm listening to the samples on iTunes and relieved that there are more interesting songs on the album than the two singles they released. I understand why they chose those two songs, they're upbeat and very Yello. But it took me a while to really like them because I found the videos to be distracting. 'Waba Duba' is so much better without the visuals. For one thing, Dieter looks frail, which is to be expected at 75 but is naturally a little upsetting for someone who's been into the band for 37 years (criminy!)

'Arthur Spark', 'Big Boys Blues', 'Way Down' and 'Hot Pan' sound like they've pushed their sound into new areas while still retaining the essentials of Yello.

Now I'm genuinely excited for this to arrive.

The new video, for 'Spinning My Mind' (in which Dieter looks a lot better).

AGimS and jamesc like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Anybody got the box yet and played it? Mine arrived today but I'm planning to wait and see what people think about the picture disc.

19. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident

Wow, I had no idea they were releasing a new album. I added it to my Tidal list and ordered the LP as soon as I found out. From the audio snippets I heard so far I cant wait to hear it in it's entirety.

20. Neonbeam

Listened to it this morning and "Waba Duba" works much better without that video. In fact "Point" seems like a strong Yello album. Even though I have to play it some more. A local store sold signed copies of the standard black vinyl and I picked one up this RSD morning. For now the Collector's Box can stay sealed.

Bluepicasso likes this.
  21. hEARt PhoniX

I was very shocked and disappointed by Waba Duba. While I understand why they made it the single I personally do prefer songs that do not sport that shamelessly obvious Yello formula. But who could decry it, they are Yello after all. Plus I learned not to take singles as a valid indication, often I find they are the weakest tracks on albums. Often I find I like them much better within the context of the whole album.
    And it's the same here. As it's the opener it now gets me into the mood for another chapter of the Yello universe. And while I first thought the album was much weaker than Toy, they are winning me over song by song. A great listening experience, the sounds are just ... majestic, and while the tracks themselves may not be as playful, they are so well done I will find new sonic corners to discover for quite a few more spins, and / or just enjoy the typically fully rounded sounds, Dieter's oh, so sexy and always slightly ironic voice, and then Fifi Rong beautifully closing the regular album.
    To me Yello albums usually require several listening sessions:
    * first meeting, get a general idea
    * have a deeper listen
    * finally make myself comfortable within the album
    * enjoy the sounds like new friends, establish relationships
    * finally feel at home, wandering around between the sounds, having friendly exchanges here and there, happy to meet

The Bonus tracks are also well worth to be heard, all in all this is yet another welcome Yello album. Zephyr Calling, while playing a bit with exoticism, has got some really ear shattering sub bass that can get me flying again and again. And I really like the additional colour FiFi Rong brings, also on the last bonus track. I am looking forward to experiencing her voice on the Montreux Jazz Festival documentation.
    To me this album right now sounds like yet another reason to love this duo, and since I fell in love with their Pocket Universe they have kept on being fun, I even learned to love the older albums. I am convinced there will be a time when I will own all their albums, they keep on making themselves part of my life, old friends I do not want to let go.

First impression:
    Point Yello is another nice place to spend some 50 minutes, your chance to meet, greet and bathe in some truly luxurious sounds, enjoy great songs and the great voice of Dieter Meyer. Out Of Sight may have some of my favourite Dieter moments, with his voice tuned extra low and played with, altering it into various directions.
    Right now I'd say I prefer Pocket Universe, Toy, Motion Picture, The Eye, Touch but it's a very welcome addition. And this is only the first impression, i.e. quite like to change and be refined.

I am so glad I caught the big box.
    2150/2600

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    bever70 and Thorpy like this.
  22. jamesc

jamesc Formerly Known as Undertow

I really enjoyed Toy after losing track of them for years so I'm hoping to track down the box. I was surprised to hear that they have a Atmos surround mix of the album up on Tidal but they didn't include the surround mix on the Blu-ray in the box set. Hopefully it comes out as a separate release some day.

Has anyone compared the Blu-ray concert to the Live in Berlin show?

bever70 likes this.
  23. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

My collector’s box was supposed to arrive today. Now I refreshed the tracking page and new estimation is it will arrive tomorrow! ARGH!! Another 24 hours to wait for it. Nice to read good reviews though.

24. englishbob

Certainly "Out of Sight" is my favourite track, probably one of the more memorable tracks they have made for decades.

Of course there is old "Yello being Yello" thing, but their earlier work was so inventive and varied, these later ones I'm very mindful that Boris is just composing these on his app. Don't believe me, this video was uploaded in 2013...sound familar?

25. Neonbeam

After familiarizing myself with "Point" via Spotify I just played the standard black vinyl and it sounds unbelievably good. Death quiet and lots of detail. 200gr vinyl? Definitely a grower! :righton: