1. We are experiencing extraordinarily high traffic at the moment due to the outage this morning, plus we will be running a few processes in the background to rebuild server caches. The forum will be responding a bit slower than normal until this has passed. Thank you!

What's Your Favorite RECORD LABEL?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by K.P., Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Oh, and I still have a soft-spot in my heart for ZTT!

BigManRestless and c-eling like this.
  2. readr

readr Forum Resident

3. c-eling

c-eling I never dreamed another way.

Quite a short roster they had didn't they Vince?, out of my horde I just have a old Propaganda cd on them

K.P. likes this.
  4. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

There was a label around about a decade ago called Planet Clique and I loved everything on that label, especially SuperJupiter. They put out three official (I assume, or semi-official) B-52's remix EPs of tracks from Whammy!, Mesopotamia and Wild Planet. I'm not a huge fan of dance remixes but these were very well done. The guys behind it worked as producers / remixers Manhattan Clique (or MHC).

SuperJupiter: You Know

onionmaster likes this.
  5. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

FAME
    Stax
    Now Sounds
    Real Gone

troggy likes this.
  6. I think Reprise have been the most consistant for me in terms of production and quality pressings.

lemonade kid, K.P. and c-eling like this.
  7. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

I loved their initial burst - Art Of Noise, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Propaganda (and Act). I even liked Das Psycho Rangers even though it seemed no one else did. When it all went 808 State and Seal I lost interest.

Morton LaBongo, K.P. and vince like this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Leedon

goodiesguy, K.P. and c-eling like this.
  9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Regal Zonophone

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Pye International

vinyl13, Texastoyz and K.P. like this.
  11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well... just the fact that they would 'screw' with the heads of collectors; dozens of different mixes, covers, and the long, laborious 'intellectual' liner notes............ those were the days!

c-eling likes this.
  13. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Island, a label that has releases from as diverse artists as Bob Marley And The Wailers, The B-52's, Nick Drake, John Martyn, Roxy Music, Sparks, Anthrax, Grace Jones and countless others, not to mention beautifully designed record labels (I think the pink rim, and it's Blue Mountain and Mango offshoots, are the prettiest labels ever). In recent years they have also been quite good at archive releases, particularly the Wailers Deluxe Editions.

[​IMG]

ggergm, DeRosa, Texastoyz and 2 others like this.
  14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

16. c-eling

c-eling I never dreamed another way.

Oops forgot RRE/Play it again Sam
    [​IMG]

K.P. and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

ZE

BigManRestless likes this.
  18. Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he means the record company and its roster of artists.

From my perspective (child of the '60s), I'm inclined to agree with you about Columbia. I can't think of another label that had as many awesome singles on the charts from '65-'75 and beyond. As a result, I do equate this label design with quality:

[​IMG]

MisterBritt, K.P. and HominyRhodes like this.
  19. raphph

raphph Forum Resident

Sixties and early seventies A&M - I trust that label so much I would have bought everything they released if I was alive.

20. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator... Spent a good bit of teens spinning this label (sad isn't that as a 12 year old I discovered prog before punk!)

Mylene, Texastoyz, K.P. and 2 others like this.
  21. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I'm with the OP in that I was born in 77 and listened to a lot of underground indie in the 90s. I had a lot of Matador, Up, 4AD and Touch and Go.

Nowadays, I think my favorites are Daptone, Ubiquity and Stones Throw for new stuff. Quite a few from Southern Lord as well.

Blue Note and Verve have been on my radar for a long time. Stax and Motown/Kudu for 60/70s soul

K.P. and bleachershane like this.
  22. krisjay

krisjay Forum Resident

Bad Afro Records
    Home of Baby Woodrose, Dragon Tears, Spids Nogenhat and others. Some of the best psych/pop, psych, coming out.

K.P. and Scope J like this.
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

24. Dudley Canuck

Dudley Canuck Active Member

Sire.
    Any label who had the balls to put out THE RAMONES in the middle of the 70's gets my vote for that alone.

c-eling, K.P., vince and 1 other person like this.
  25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.