What Rush are you playing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rikki nadir, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma It’s 2112 Somewhere

Regular domestic copies are going for much cheaper.

2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

As I mentioned earlier, Clockwork Angels is the only Rush album I don't have, but I was thinking of buying the vinyl instead of the CD... thoughts? Is the vinyl any good? For some reason, I'm imagining the CD being far more bricked than the vinyl would be.

Radagast likes this.
  3. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

Looks like you may be correct, see link below. Clockwork Angels is a great record, but the compression of the CD makes it hard for me to listen to. I wonder what the vinyl sounds like.
    Album list - Dynamic Range Database

4. Diablo Griffin

Diablo Griffin City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The vinyl is slightly more dynamic, but IIRC, there were many reports of sibilance and non-fill being present. Several years ago, I bought a new copy that had both of these issues in addition to being off center. I returned it and ended up getting a used copy from a forum member. This copy also has sibilance, but I was fully aware of this before the purchase and I consider it to be the lesser of 3 evils. It's really a matter of luck... if you're still able to find a copy. The vinyl may be OOP too since it's not available on the band's site. It's also rather expensive on eBay ($90 is the cheapest!) and Discogs at the moment. Amazon has a few though: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AC4D59M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AP3VA1GJZM3EQ&psc=1

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Radagast likes this.
  5. BourbonAndVinyl

BourbonAndVinyl Forum Resident

Thank you!! I'm always open to suggestions! Much appreciated!

Radagast likes this.
  6. J_D__

J_D__ Forum Resident

Do you remember the Rush concert played on MTV non-stop in 1982? I just remember Alex wearing a red suit.

7. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Forum Resident

RUSH's Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson have thanked everyone who has paid tribute to Neil Peart.

Peart died on January 7 in Santa Monica, California after a three-year battle with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer. The iconic RUSH drummer was 67 years old. The band announced his passing on January 10, setting off shockwaves and an outpouring of grief from fans and musicians all over the world.

On Friday (January 17), Lee and Lifeson took to social media to write: "Our most heartfelt thanks go out to family, friends, musicians, writers and fans from around the globe for the incredible outpouring of love and respect for Neil since his passing. These touching tributes help to lessen the pain of this terrible loss and remind us all to celebrate his remarkable life and our connections to it."

RUSH's final show took place at the Forum in Los Angeles on August 1, 2015. Peart indicated at the time that he wanted to retire while he was still able to play well, along with a desire to spend more time at home with his young daughter.

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Music Appreciator

Exit...Stage Left

ARK, ytserush and J_D__ like this.
  9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Fly By Night - Rush
    CP4/CP3, GK x 2.
    [​IMG]

10. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Listened to a few tracks each from Vapor Trails, Clockwork Angels, Test For Echo, Counterparts, Roll The Bones, Snakes & Arrows. The weak link with all these records are the vocal melodies which aren't very memorable. But the musical aspect is brilliant. I thought the remixed Vapor Trails sounded great. As does Clockwork Angels.

akmonday likes this.
  11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Rush - 2112
    180 gram reissue with hologram in deadwax

12. J_D__

J_D__ Forum Resident

I never realized it was “Exit Stage Left”

pool_of_tears likes this.
  13. Slick Willie

2112 - Rush
    JAMF x 2.
    [​IMG]

IMO, their grandest!

14. Diablo Griffin

Diablo Griffin City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I got done with the studio albums yesterday and will be moving on to the live releases now. Just played All the World's a Stage last night and will spin the Hammersmith show from the deluxe Farewell to Kings tonight.

15. Slick Willie

Perm. Waves - Rush
    -A/-B, Rays G.T. x 2.
    [​IMG]
    Another dynamic powerhouse!

Scope J, rikki nadir and fishyboots like this.
  16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Thanks. it looks like the vinyl was re-issued in 2013 (for UK), and that's what's mostly available today, for around $25, give or take. Which is far cheaper than a new copy of the CD is going for.

Diablo Griffin likes this.
  17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Agreed. And Presto has some pretty great vocal melodies (IMO), but the production/sound is so light/wimpy.

18. Incamera

Incamera Active Member

I don't think I ever managed to get through Clockwork Angels because it hurt me to listen to. I would say to myself "I'm going back to Rivendell".

Radagast likes this.
  19. texquad

texquad Forum Resident

rikki nadir likes this.
  20. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

"I see red
    And it hurts my head"

21. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Roll the Bones this evening

Snakes and Arrows this morning - which I’ve not listened to in over a decade. Some great moments but, Bravest Face and Good News Worst are 2 of their weakest ever songs, I think...

22. daltieri

daltieri The 80`s kick ass

Vapor Trails Remixed at this very moment

StarThrower62 likes this.
  23. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I'm playing all of them...........This is gonna take awhile.

Scope J and ytserush like this.
  24. all24bits

all24bits Forum Resident

Clockwork Angels, their best album in years, up there with the very best of their catalogue, IMO.

Scope J likes this.
  25. J_D__

J_D__ Forum Resident

I’m not a hardcore Rush fan but, this seems to be favorite of the really devoted fans.

rikki nadir likes this.