Vinyl is selling so well, it's getting hard to sell vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nojasa, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

What makes someone part of the "VC"? Do you need to have a youtube station, or just be someone who uses a turntable and records?

lazydawg58 likes this.
  2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

People have also been buying vinyl for the right reasons since the dark days of the mid-90s when the format appeared dead in the water. I personally never gave up on it. Neither did hundreds of thousands of other die-hards. From industry advocates for the format such as Jack White to ordinary fans who refused to throw away their turntable and get rid of their record collections, people kept the format alive in its darkest hour, and, no matter how much people dismiss it as a “fad,” the resurgence has been going on for way too long now to be dismissed as such.

That records are selling so well that it’s becoming difficult for the pressing plants to keep up with demand is a good problem for the vinyl industry to have, all things considered. The alternative would be for pressing plants to be sitting idle because no one cares at all about records anymore.

3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Welcome to Marketing 101.

ARK and meyers like this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The other week I played a great Dynaflex pressing of Lou Reed’s Sally Can’t Dance. Dynaflex records can sound fantastic. It was the Dynagroove process that was suspect, not Dynaflex.

bibijeebies likes this.
  5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Of course, it's what makes RSD work.

ARK, elgoodo and Fruff76 like this.
  6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Resident

It's basically become an urban legend, over time. Its true that stories circulated in April of 2016 about the results of a British survey indicating that 40-50% of vinyl buyers surveyed either didn't have a TT or had one but never used it.

The polling company (ICM) is considered reputable; still, the survey itself is old at this point, and was limited to UK buyers. I don't know how they selected the sample, but that could skew the results as well. Importantly, I've never seen these results repeated in any other polls.

Nevertheless, over the years, this single story has grown into this timeless, accepted truism trotted out by the the "it's just a fad" haters, applying it across the board. I personally think that the study probably has some relevance across borders and I think that there are people who buy records just to "have" them. But 40-50% of buyers? Seems quite hard to believe.

Neonbeam and Spencer R like this.
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Well, that and the fact that, despite all of the “hipsterz just want to display their vinylz on the wall” sour grapes, that millions of people are genuinely interested in buying, collecting, playing, and listening to vinyl records is what makes RSD work.

There isn’t a Compact Disc Store Day featuring 5,000 copy pressing runs of old Yardbirds albums selling out in hours because not enough people care about CDs for that to work.

You can try to sell the sizzle all day long, but you also need the steak.

paulbright81 likes this.
  8. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I generally see those comments after something sells out and further copies are pressed. Like a variant that was limited to 300 but they got so many orders so fast that it got upped to 500. That seems like splitting hairs to me

ARK likes this.
  9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes, Dynagroove was a failed experiment but Dynaflex was a successful necessity of the times.

10. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

who is "we" and yes the Omaha Introvert is cute, and musically knowledgeable as well.

Fruff76 likes this.
  11. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

C-eling. probably should've made that more clear.

12. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Okay. But unlike you, I do buy vinyl. In fact fact, I regularly buy vinyl that's pressed in quantities of 100-200 copies. And that's not because the labels or artists involved are trying to create a "limited edition collectible," it's because that's how many they realistically think they're gonna sell. Just about all of the reissues of Italian soundtracks and library music records I'm always going on about, because they're one of my biggest musical passions, are pressed in runs of 500-1000 copies simply because there are only so many of us who love this music and are gonna buy these records.

Just last night, I bought a single by an indie guitar band called Make It Plain because I read about it in a Bandcamp article and it sounded like something I would like. When I went to buy it directly from the label's Bandcamp page, I found out three things:

1. There were 15 copies left out of a pressing of 250.
    2. Including postage, it cost $6
    3. It had been released in 2018.

Man, if that label thinks they're hyping the vinyl limited edition craze, they are...uh, playing a long game.

ARK, aseriesofsneaks, KAJ1971 and 2 others like this.
  13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Again, I live in a college town that supports a thriving indie record shop, a shop that just expanded and opened a second location in our state’s capital city. I am friends with quite a few younger college-age LP fans who shop at our local store. Again, most of those people either have a hand me down turntable from their parents or an older relative, or they have a $200 - $250 USB turntable. None of those people I know have an el cheapo Crosley, but none of them have a Rega, either. They have decent but not great used or new equipment. But they are using that middle-of-the-road equipment to actually play the records they buy.

ARK, aseriesofsneaks and ghoulsurgery like this.
  14. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Wouldn't it be proportional?

Shouldn't it be proportional?

ARK and cwd like this.
  15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Even if there are people that are just buying records to display them, that’s still money made by bands/labels/stores. It’s a net positive to me

16. bibijeebies

bibijeebies Forum Resident

Floppy....but better vinyl quality

ssmith3046 likes this.
  17. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

On another thread it was noted that a run of 500 cds including packaging might be around $1 - $1.50 per and the same run of LPs would be more like $7 -$10 per, if memory serves me well.

ARK and Tom Campbell like this.
  18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it might well be, but i think you would hear more about it with limited production runs, if that makes any sense.

fortunately, i buy lots of new records and i don't experience too much non-fill, warps, or off center pressings. when i do i either return them to the store or contact the record label directly for replacement.

19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

And, again, that’s been part of the hobby for as long as it’s been going on. The two artists whose catalogs I collect most seriously are R.E.M. and the Beatles. I have five or six copies of some R.E.M. albums on vinyl, including sealed copies with the hype sticker still attached to the shrink wrap. I have fewer sealed Beatles records like that, but I do have a few. I’ve got a sealed copy of Wings’ Wild Life with the original hype sticker still on the shrink, and I keep it sealed because I have multiple open playing copies of that record.

Again, from reading this forum and from interacting with my real life friends in record collecting, I know that there are some people who buy, say, two copies of every single Paul McCartney Archive Collection release - one to play and one to keep sealed. While I can’t afford to collect like that, it’s been part of the hobby for “serious” collectors forever. If some younger fan without a turntable wants to buy a Taylor Swift LP to keep sealed or to frame and hang on her wall to show her support for Taylor, well, as you note, it still counts as sale for Taylor and her record company. And that kind of fandom is not really so different from me hanging on to my sealed copy of Wild Life.

20. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

I’m with you on this. Still buy vinyl, but almost exclusively from charity shops.
    Recently started subscribing to Tidal hi-res and use that for my musical explorations both new and old. Never stream anything I have on vinyl and would happily return to buying new if prices dropped to a more realistic £10 -£15

21. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Sure, but it wouldn't be the same without the limited edition aspect that gets people to line up on that day, for fear they're going to miss out, if they don't. It also leads to all kinds of impulse buying.

None of this is a bad thing, though it's not really my thing.

ARK likes this.
  22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Sure, but, again, my local Starbucks could announce that it is only going to sell ten pumpkin spice lattes every morning to the first ten customers who order one, and I wouldn’t care, because I don’t like pumpkin spice lattes. In order for the “fear of missing out” strategy to work, you have to be selling something that people actually want to buy and are in fact afraid of missing out on.

ARK likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

From my perspective...

It is great that folks are buying records.
    It is great that folks are buying cd's.

I am happy that streaming is available as a resource for exploring, but I would hate to see it completely take over at the expense of physical product, but by design, that is going to happen, sooner or later

This forum is probably the worst place for these types of discussions to happen, because, I believe for the most part, everyone here is passionate about music, and a lot of us want to actually have that music in our house, not some database controlled by a business.

So there are rationalizations from record and cd buyers as to what is happening, and we get in a blither about what is doing what and where each product is.

StephMess78, ARK, DrZhivago and 5 others like this.
  24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yes, agreed. I don't really need the day itself to buy records but don't begrudge anyone who enjoys it.

ARK likes this.
  25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

In 1981, Tom Petty famously threatened to change the name of his album Hard Promises to $8.98 to protest the record industry raising the price of new albums to $9.98. Adjusted for inflation, $9.98 in 1981 was roughly equivalent to $30 today. So, in the United States, the real price of single LP vinyl records has actually remained fairly stable over the decades.

From you talking about pounds, I assume you’re in the UK. I have family there, and, in my visits across the pond over the decades, I’ve noticed that CDs especially have always been more expensive there than they are here in the States, even after factoring in the relative value of the dollar and the pound.

pwhytey likes this.