Using old smartphone as streaming renderer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 500Homeruns, Sep 27, 2020.

1. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk Thread Starter

I have an LG V30 that has been retired from daily duties. I recently hooked it up to my main system as a streaming renderer for Tidal via 3.5mm headphone to RCA. I think I may go USB out with an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt after doing some research. I use USB Audio Player Pro on the V30. Has anybody used an old smartphone this way? Any recommendations to get better sound quality when going this route?

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Forum Resident

USB Audio Player PRO can be set up to be a UPnP renderer on your network. Then use a UPnP server application on your desktop to send audio to the phone which is connected to the DAC. I've tested that using JRiver Media Center as the UPnP/DLNA server. Just have to make sure you configure JRiver to stream lossless rather than convert everything to lossy. You can look at the UAPP app to see what kind of file and bitrate it is getting to confirm that things are configured correctly to stream lossless.

500Homeruns likes this.
  3. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk Thread Starter

Am I correct in thinking that the output through USB of the smartphone is a better option than the headphone (3.5mm) out?

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

USB out will be a digital stream. So, your answer depends on the whatever is decoding the stream. The V30 has an ESS SABRE 9218P Quad-DAC chip, so it's going to take a pretty good DAC to match it.

5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The chip alone does not a DAC make. All of the supporting circuitry makes a difference too. And for this reason, external DACs do have a distinct performance advantage over internal DACs.

vegafleet likes this.