Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Upgrading Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Detroiter in the South, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Detroiter in the South

Detroiter in the South Well-Known Member Thread Starter

After six months of falling in love with records all over again, I’m ready to start the upgrading process to my system with speakers.

I have up to $800. I could spend $1,000 if really necessary.

My preference is vinyl first, cds second, streaming third, and maybe HD digital later on. You can see my music preferences, pretty much in order.

Standard living room (I’ll be moving around a bit the next few years).

I cannot imagine going into stores to test listen right now, but I need better speakers in my auditory development... Thank you all so much!

2. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

Looks like from your profile your upgrading from a "90's JVC shelf" speaker.... what model, just curious?

Are you looking for a bookshelf / standmount, or are floorstanders in the mix too? Also, how big is a "standard" living room, or how big of a space and do you play loud?

3. Congrats on getting back to vinyl. It's the highest calling one in the audio world can receive. Be nice to know.....What kind of juice these boxes gonna get? In other words, what amp/preamp/receiver....?

4. Detroiter in the South

SP-C55BK
    I do not like it terribly loud, no. Maybe great sound at moderate levels?
    This living room right now is about 14x17.
    Floorstanders might give me the best bass?

5. TheVinylAddict

That's a decent sized space, not overly small and not overly big.

Floorstanders giving the "best bass" of course will depend on your choice of course, but realize that if you want new, and in the price range and size of floorstander you're looking at, then you're looking at something that probably won't have overly large woofers, probably in the 6" - 8" range. Which depending on the design, may or may not be enough bass for you. It also depends on what is driving them (amp) -- that is just as important on what you'll get. I had a pair of Klipsch RP-280FA for a while in my HT setup, two 8" woofers - good rep for quality sound, but the mids weren't there for me with 2 channel.

But bass is also subjective - some like a lot, some don't. Realize a nice bookshelf with great imaging paired with a sub can get you there too. (like an LS50 with a sub added). Same with the floorstander, if you like a lot of bass you may consider adding a sub anyway.

You could always do something like finding a well kept JBL L100 or L150 with a large woofer too... :) I like large woofers in mains, and not a big fan of adding subs if it can be avoided - but I am not a bass head, I like good imaging and the best quality mids / highs as a priority. I have a speaker with 13" woofers, but with a fabled midrange too....

6. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Klipsch RP600m might be a good fit.

There's a great review on Stereophile. I was trying to paste the link but my phone is dumb.

7. Detroiter in the South

I am not opposed to a sub later, I guess. I do like bass, but not so much that it overpowers the rest of the music. Balance.

8. Detroiter in the South

Would they pair well with a sub later? And maybe if I can really dump cash on speakers later, maybe these would be more versatile as back-ups in life.

9. Detroiter in the South

The current amp is a ‘79 Tecnics su8044. Serving me well enough for now...

10. Art K

Art K Forum Resident

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary.

11. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Omen Dirty Weekend [Mk.II]
    Next Sale October 1

12. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely. There is a sub in this series as well.
    Rel also makes nice subs that are pretty affordable.

13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

This is a carry-over from your other thread. I believe your listening experience will be much more enjoyable with both speakers and turntable under your budget.
    Any new speakers will not be justified by your current turntable and cartridge-

The recommended speakers sound great and were Stereophile's budget speaker of the year.

The turntable is a solid value decent real world grown up turntable. Here is the kicker- call Music Direct and with this "package deal" ask them to bump up the Ortofon Red to an Ortofn 2M Blue cartridge as a favor for your loyal business.
    Down the road you can add a sub but for now your system will be singing sweet!

No more "Panic in Detroit" !

Wharfedale - Diamond 225 Bookshelf Speakers | Shop Music Direct

Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable | Shop Music Direct

Rick58 likes this.
  14. Arclight73

Arclight73 Forum Resident

+1 to the above. You have enough money to do 2 upgrades. You could also look at the Elac Debut 6.2 at Music Direct as well.

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

And add to that list the amp too -- a '79 SU-8044 was mid to lower end in it's day, and sell for $175 tops on the used market for good ones. It probably has caps that need attention to boot, and other parts.

16. Detroiter in the South

So perhaps speakers and an amp. My turntable is probably the best part of my rig at the moment, and I can upgrade that a bit later....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Rick58 likes this.
  17. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

The Zu Dirty weekend are great. If you want some extra change in your pocket, Tekton M-Lores are also good, I have a pair in my second system.

18. Detroiter in the South

Any great amp/speaker pair ups that I should look at for around $1200?

Rick58 likes this.
  19. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Might look at a refurbished receiver. Schiit also makes some stuff you might want to look at but I'm not sure if they make an integrated. There's a receiver from Outlaw Audio that gets a lot of love around here. You may need to stretch the budget a little more to get speakers and amp.

20. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

See if you can find locally go vintage :

Polk Monitor 10s $150-$250
    Klipsch KG4s $250-$400

Both of these speakers IMO rock hard and are fun to listen to! Plus you can save some coin

21. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

22. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

OK you're bumping the total up ... GOOD ... feel the excitement ... ! :winkgrin: Yes, pay more get more ... OK of course you can go used/vintage too if you like, but I'm only talking about new here.

The Rotel + ELAC above look nice for sure. Maybe a few more to toss into the hat:

Wharfedale - Denton 80th Anniversary Bookshelf Speakers (Pr) | Shop Music Direct (also above) NOT having heard these, they're on a nice sale so you get more for your $$$

I did notice there's an "85th Anniversary" version of these but they're $899 and not on sale (of course). So getting the 'previous' model saves $$$ and I think these are (still) well-regarded.

There's a bunch of really nice integrated amps for $700 or so ... Marantz - PM6006 Integrated Amplifier **FACTORY REFURBISHED** may be just the ticket. I have bought factory refurbished, open box, and even 'scratch and dent' for my last several large purchases, no regrets at all. These come with a warranty as long as you buy from authorized dealers (Music Direct, Audio Advisor, Crutchfield, Accessories4Less are folks I've used). Look around at those web pages too. Sometimes there are astonishing bargains to be had.

The Marantz unit seems like an excellent amp, but look at the "Customers Also Viewed" ones too. Of course make sure they have a phono preamp! Probably anything over 40W/Ch would be OK, all of these seem to be.

AH, if you want to add a sub later, look for 'sub out' or 'preamp out' connections on the amp. The Marantz unit I mentioned does not have these, but you can still connect a sub using the "B" speaker connections ... you do NOT want to use the 'Recorder Out' as this is a fixed level output meant for recording. You want the sub volume to be 'tied' to the main (variable) volume.

OOOOOOHHHHH !!! The Arcam Arcam SA10 Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in DAC at Crutchfield (or at Music Direct Arcam - SA10 Integrated Amplifier ) has preamp outputs AND remote BALANCE control which I find to be ESSENTIAL ... but others may not of course! Pretty sweet at $200 off ... but ... it's gonna go over the $1200 ceiling with the speakers (which are important as well). Hey, an extra $100 spread over several years of listening pleasure ???!!! I've been using that as an excuse for decades, has served me well !!! :D

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020