Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The Who set to release shows on Youtube

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Zoso88

Zoso88 Forum Resident

Is this not 18min from the first night at Shea, which was included as bonus tracks on the DVD/BR?

Herman Schultz, WhoTapes1 and RayS like this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

It was.

Which suggests this will follow the Stones model very tightly. Bonus material from DVDs for 6 weeks.

3. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I think so, too. And the "holy grail" will be some tracks from the Coliseum show (1969), which was a bonus on the Kilburn DVD, and "unique footage" from Royal Albert Hall 2000 (with Pete and Paul Weller rehearsing - also a bonus on that DVD).... I hope I am wrong, though.

WhoTapes1 and RayS like this.
  4. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

We’re getting unseen Who content. For free. When there are (almost) no gigs happening anywhere IRL at the moment. I’m not about to start complaining.

In fact, kudos to them for letting the side down a bit and including that performance of “My Generation” where it goes off the rails starting at the Ox’s bass solo. Warts and all. Respect.

5. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Also if they stream an unreleased show it would be on a Japanese bootleg a week later. They may not want to expose unreleased video to bootlegging they can monetize later.

6. RayS

It is nice that they are sharing anything, but throwing around “unreleased” and “rarities” will likely prove inaccurate and that will lead to resentment. The Grateful Dead, Dead & Company and Bob Weir, by comparison, streamed entire concerts. The 1990 GD concert just streamed Friday was fresh from the vault - never before seen. So yeah, 5 previously-released Shea songs was less than impressive by comparison.

BeatleJWOL, hi_watt, walrus and 3 others like this.
  7. J_D__

J_D__ Forum Resident

If this Shea song selection is any indication of future releases, I won’t be watching.....

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

An unreleased show to them doesn't necessarily mean unseen footage by most die hard fans.
    Toronto 1982 first show could be a possibility for the unreleased YouTube airing.
    Maybe it was dusted off and considered around the time of the Shea release?

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  9. RayS

But Toronto '82 WAS released. So it's not "unreleased" or "unseen", and I guess "rare" would be subjective.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  10. Zoso88

Zoso88 Forum Resident

I believe the 2nd night in Toronto (the final gig) made up the majority, if not all of The Who Rocks America VHS/LD release. The 1st night, which most think is the better performance circulates in trading circles, but has never been legitimately released. In my opinion they should’ve cleaned up the Toronto ‘82 concert and released that instead of Shea.

slipkid likes this.
  11. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

The Video Disc!

Cachiva likes this.
  12. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Yep, wake me up when they show a live performance from ‘67 - ‘76 that has never been seen by at all outside of The Who’s archival storage room, including by hardcore bootleg collectors.

13. RayS

I'm sorry, my eyes skipped right over "first show" when I read your original post.

I think the odds of such a thing happening are near zero, unfortunately. It's pretty clear from Roger's intro that we will be getting "clips" rather than "shows". DVD bonus stuff seems likely if not inevitable.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  14. keifspoon

keifspoon Forum Resident

Sweat dreams my friend. Because as far as this is concerned, I'm afraid you'll be sleeping for years. :o

WhoTapes1, vitorbastos123 and J_D__ like this.
  15. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I hope you don't mind me going slightly off topic but as this is currently the most active Who thread and this touches on the YouTube concerts.....

There is an interesting interview with Roger from this weekend on The Who's website. If you have a spare hour it is worth watching:

Some interesting take aways:

1. He doesn't have a high opinion of John Entwistle's songs.

2. Roger actually wrote Dangerous although it was credited to John.

3. There was a hint that there is something in the works (and he's not referring to a new album)

4. In fact he is not very enthusiastic about a new Who album as he had to pay for the last one.

5. He believes the 'Who' album was over produced and did not get on with the producer.

6. He would be interested in a joint tour with Robert Plant.

16. dharma bum

dharma bum Forum Resident

I'd love to see the Maple Leaf Gardens show from December 17, 1982 in its entirety, the way it was originally shown on the satellite broadcast, and before it was diced up for HBO and VHS.

17. J_D__

J_D__ Forum Resident

I can do with the Kenney Jones shows. Let’s work on the 1964-1978 years:)

peachyg72 likes this.
  18. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Roger you heathen :sigh:

Herman Schultz, Michael Rose and Bink like this.
  19. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Usually artists wait at least a year or two before slagging off their own album(s).

I was pleasantly surprised how decent the 2019 Who album was...granted, I went in with incredibly low expectations, but I still really enjoyed it. A bummer Roger is already crapping on it not even a full year later.

Michael Rose and Bink like this.
  20. Zoso88

Zoso88 Forum Resident

That would be nice. Would like to finally see the full Charlton ‘74 gig. Though I don’t mind Kenney era Who, especially 79-81. 82 they were over it and it shows.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  21. RayS

He also said the production ruined "Quadrophenia" ... which is now the standard that he compares "Who" against. It doesn't mean much. :)

WhoTapes1, ARK and walrus like this.
  22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Some clarifications about these:
    Specifically, he says he wrote most of the lyrics. (Why didn't he ask for a credit?)

He claims the main reason they recorded John's songs was to keep the taxman away from him.... :sigh: Harsh. I doubt this is Pete's opinion.
    Only because a fan asked the question "would you like to do a tour with Robert Plant?" It's not something he's trying to make happen.

slipkid, felipezorro and Bink like this.
  23. J_D__

J_D__ Forum Resident

Quad has always sounded muddy but, the 1996 version is a little better. Roger never liked the sound of Quad.

24. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

They're both so cranky. Him and Pete are perfect for each other.

ARK, J_D__ and RayS like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. These guys are bound to contradict themselves when they discuss the same topics over a 50 year period.

It is also telling that he admits he threw out the comparison of WHO to Quadrophenia; i.e. the former being the best album since the iconic 1973 album. Roger basically admits he just through out Quadrophenia as a way of generating hype, and that he could have named a handful of others.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    RayS likes this.