The Who New Release, Who

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MassHysteria, Dec 7, 2019.

1. MassHysteria

MassHysteria Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listening to their new album released yesterday, Dec. 6th.
    Quite surprised with it as Roger's voice has held up nicely for his age!
    The music is what you would expect from The Who, and I mean that in a good way.
    The opener All This Music Will Fade really captures the mood. With a little snippet sounding similar to Baba O'Reilly in Detour.
    So far, so good. Give your opinions, thoughts, etc

2. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Negatory.

3. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I've listened a few times already and am enjoying it.

Roger sounds great throughout.

I never would have expected to be interested in a new album by The WHO at this late date, but the claims of "Best since Who By Numbers" sound about right to me.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  4. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Very much a Yay from me. I've already listened to it about ten times.

5. raphph

raphph Forum Resident

This is better than it has any right to be - can hear many vintage Who motifs...I'm liking it - it's not a disaster.
    I have a signed Pete copy on the way soon.
    And will be seeing them in February do a tiny acoustic show in Kingston.

Vinyldood, Aftermath, laf848 and 6 others like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

"who" is a hundred, a thousand, a million, a gazillion time better than the the pathetic 'endless wire'.

i like it.

7. sound chaser

sound chaser Forum Resident

No thanks. Someone suggested it was the best thing since "Quadrophenia", yea, right :).

izgoblin, DiBosco, veloso2 and 4 others like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't know, other than 'who are you".....it's darn close.

SteveM likes this.
  9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Autotune ruined this album

KariK, Klassik, RAZORMADE and 5 others like this.
  10. J_D__

J_D__ Forum Resident

What’s most interesting to me, is it sounds like classic Who but, still modernized. Like the rapping in “I’ll Be Back”

11. J_D__

J_D__ Forum Resident

The auto tune is the one thing I wish could be changed. It sounds somewhat unnatural to me.

eternalise and Audionerd like this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I can't stand it. Completely divorces all emotion from Pete and Roger's voices. As instrumentals they'd kick ass; bypass that Godawful plugin and you MIGHT have their best since Quad. Such a shame :shake:

J_D__ likes this.
  13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I love Who By Numbers, but Who Are You never connected.

14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I enjoy it so far, and I posted my review on here.

angelo73 likes this.
  15. angelo73

angelo73 ⬚⿻⬚⿻⬚

.. that would be one Roger Daltrey.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Yay.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Mr Daltrey said that even for It's Hard.

JohnCarter17, PIGGIES and angelo73 like this.
  18. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Great album for me. Far better than expected

19. angelo73

angelo73 ⬚⿻⬚⿻⬚

And I have to agree with Mr. D on both counts. I never much cared for By Numbers or Who Are You, they just didn't connect with me for some reason. I like the song 'Join Together' , though. But when I heard 'Athena' for the first time I knew they were back on track. I remember thinking the exact same thing (I never knew that RD had said that about It's Hard) - that it was a return to form. It was like Pete was unhappy or uninspired or something and It's Hard was a sign him dusting himself off again.
    Tbh, except for parts of Face Dances, I haven't really jumped for joy about any of their output since, not like in the old days.
    WHO connects for some reason. There's a spark in the songs I really haven't heard in a long time.

MassHysteria likes this.
  20. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

It's early days but I am enjoying this new one a lot more than anything since Who by Numbers. Never really liked Who Are You all that much aside from the title track. Face Dances is a bit hit and miss. Got rid of It's Hard and Endless Wire - found both very disappointing (aside from a few tracks that I now have on comps)
    It will be interesting to see if this new WHO has staying power but I can say that I currently have about 5 of the songs going around on repeat in my head at the moment - which can only be a good thing

21. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Idk about all this... aside from a few songs both Face Dances and It's Hard sound completely forced and uninspired while both By Numbers or Who Are You sound honest.

One of the problems with 80s Who (and Pete's work in the 80s in general) was that the group was trying to sound New Wave or at least 'modern' and it didn't do either of those albums any favors.

"Athena" is just a cringeworthy song. I would kill to hear a Who version of (Roger vocal) of "Rough Boys" and "Empty Glass" over the dredge of "Athena" and "Daily Records".

Dave Hoos, Sherman, J_D__ and 2 others like this.
  22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

The production on It's Hard was a disaster imo, though its compositions per se were ok. For example, Mr Townshend's demo for Athena - originally titled Teresa - sounds better than the final version with The Who:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  23. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Careful here everyone; anyone voting "nay" is likely to have someone claiming to be "official" requesting for their posts to be deleted..........

Good album; nothing exceptional and the compression used ruins the experience, but there are some incredible moments in there.

Hep Alien, jestoon425 and veloso2 like this.
  24. angelo73

angelo73 ⬚⿻⬚⿻⬚

I find there is always honesty in their work, but sometimes the spark, the energy, doesn't quite reach me as in the case of By Numbers and Who Are You. I agree Face Dances, mostly, sounds a bit forced, but there are bits in that .. 'Don't Let Go the Coat' , 'Better You Bet', 'Cache , that are quality songs, but the production is very 80s and it was the end times of the golden era for Rock and they were trying to forge a new sound with Kenny &John's "new" rhythm section. I have always loved 'Athena' - for me that song soars the way Who records used to, 'Pure and Easy' (Odds & Sods), 'I'm a Sensation', 'Baba O'riley', 'Little Billy' come to mind.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Hep Alien and kwadguy like this.
  25. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Songs like "Don't Let Go the Coat", "Cache Cache", "Daily Records", "Athena", "Cooks Country" (and several others) have always sounded like Pete was just on fumes during that time and forcing crap out... or at least he was over extending himself with his solo career (I've always felt songs like "Rough Boys", "Let My Love Open the Door" and "Empty Glass" should've been Who songs... could've easily replaced the three FD songs above and instantly would've been a great album).