The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thank you. of course i'm closing in on the epic cornell st stephen as we speak

WaterLemon likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

thanks. i need to check this out

lucan_g and WaterLemon like this.
  3. SJR

SJR Senior Member

Of course! I feel we’ve been over this before :p

Archtop and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

With regard to Hart's albums, both are definitely drummer albums.

Rolling Thunder has a bit of a Native American vibe and features a lot folks from the SF music scene at the time, members of the Dead, Quicksilver, Airplane etc. It also has early versions of PIB (The Main Ten) and GSET (Pump Song)

Diga is primarily percussion based but Garcia appears on a few tracks including an early instrumental version of Fire On the Mountain called Happiness is Drumming.

5. Matthew Tate

thank you. any clue about the stuff he did after that? the planet drum stuff and the 90's releases?

US Blues likes this.
  6. SJR

SJR Senior Member

This arvo’s listening — Jerry Garcia Band: Electric On The Eel, 10/08/91 from the box set.

Such a sweet-sounding, warm and smooth recording. Lovely stuff . . .

Shining Star just melts :love:

[​IMG]
    1991/2019 Round Records (3) ‎– JGFRR1021, ATO Records ‎– JGFRR1021

7. dsdu

dsdu Forum Resident

I've heard Mickey's latest stuff is pretty good. :cool:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Evil Twin

I can't comment on his latest stuff, though I rate Mysterium Tremendum and RAMU pretty highly among post-Garcia efforts.

But Rolling Thunder is a psychedelic masterpiece, a quintessential text of deadheadism in my estimation.

Crispy Rob, frightwigwam and fishcane like this.
  9. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

It's all kind of different if I remember correctly, Planet Drum is kind of like spaced out world music lol. I believe I bought it on vinyl a few years ago.
    Other stuff like Mystery Box has vocals and lyrics by Hunter, Down The Road is on this which references Garcia, Lennon, JFK etc. but honestly I'm not all that familiar with his post GD stuff. I may be wrong on this but I think the Other Ones used to do Down the Road.

Crispy Rob and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Agitation: Dead Crimson Cow.

More than likely. One cannot reiterate greatness enough.

SJR and US Blues like this.
  11. LandHorses

LandHorses Forum Resident

The only problem with Mystery Box is Mickey sings. It's a very good world music album otherwise.......his only song album (aside Rolling Thunder). The Mint Julips are nice singers. He was touring this album as part of Furthur 1996 and the songs were fun live.

Here's the aforementioned "Down The Road"............................

ThirdBowl and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Matthew Tate

what do you mean by "song " album?

13. That's a really good interview.

This observation is funny, and true: "You can sit in on almost anything if you’re a lead player.."

14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

IWT! (x2) It had only been 4.5 years when they busted out St. Stephen at MSG, yet it seemed like worlds apart. The sonic eruption in the Garden (in & out of the Garden he goes) was the sound of pure ecstasy. :love:

15. LandHorses

LandHorses Forum Resident

Album is all vocals/songs where most all his other albums are all instrumentals.....at least the ones I’ve heard.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. US Blues

Of the latter day Mickey albums I love: Supralingua, Mysterium Tremendum, & Superorganism. Of course this assumes you also have: The Apocalypse Now Sessions; Dafos; & At The Edge. All of those will take you into new and exciting musical landscapes.

17. Matthew Tate

maybe an expert can answer but looking at the credits i'd guess mysterium tremendum and ramu might be a lot of songs and a small amount of instrumentals

US Blues likes this.
  18. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

I had other listening plans this weekend but my sudden acquisition of the DaP 16 (3-28-73 Springfield) and DaP ( 7-19-74 Fresno) CD's altered my course. I am quite impressed by both shows and hope to give a short review tomorrow, as currently I am only 4 discs in out of 6.

19. US Blues

Grateful Dead
    Friday, November 9, 1979
    Buffalo Auditorium
    Buffalo, New York
    8 PM Tickets $8.50

Soundboard Cassette Master KindLLy
    provided to celebrate Jerry Garcia
    on this quarter century of his passing.
    Originally shared August 9, 2020

This came into circulation this evening. Very nice complete SBD (some patches) of a previously AWOL show from a strong period in GD history.

20. US Blues

Pardon me for not offering more detail. Both Mysterium Tremendum & Superorganism were created by the Mickey Hart Band, so they feature vocal songs, some of which have lyrics by Robert Hunter. This was a great band that I had the good fortune of seeing in concert 5 or so times during the very few years of their existence. I saw much of those 2 albums performed live, intertwined with space and Beam jams, along with well-curated material from the GD catalogue.

Crispy Rob, ThirdBowl, adamos and 2 others like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

Thank you

US Blues likes this.
  22. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

It's a very good album. Totally came out of left field, for me. I never really considered that he would put out another release of that caliber. A true joy.

23. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

When my coworker found out I liked the Dead he gave me his stub for the 74 Fresno show. I had to listen to the soundboard of that and it was a great show. Awesome jam into Eyes.

24. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

I remember people wearing the Garcia ties way back in the mid 90’s.Those doodles were interesting.

25. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

[​IMG]
    Trip #4: February 22, 1969.

Dupree's Diamond Blues >
    Mountains of the Moon >
    Dark Star >
    That's It For The Other One >
    Death Don't Have No Mercy

Doin' That Rag >
    St. Stephen >
    The Eleven >
    Turn On Your Lovelight

As you can imagine by looking at the tracklist with every title in bold, this is a must-have from the box set. Five days before the first night of the legendary Fillmore West run, the band gave an astounding flawless concert (Jerry screws up the "nightfall of diamonds" verse, but what the heck). Bear captured it in one of his most amazing two-track recordings. Crystal clear, balanced, perfect (there's a cut in "Death Don't Have No Mercy", but that's not his fault).
    Top-grade 1969 Dead.

Crispy Rob, laf848, mBen989 and 14 others like this.