The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

2. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Why the band kept touring in 1995 given Jerry's obvious and serious health problems I'll never fully understand. 25 years on and I still get upset about this.

3. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Probably the same reasons they kept touring after Brent died (and prior to that, when he was obviously in trouble). They were never good at confrontation or helping people with their personal problems. They let Pigpen drink himself to death. They let Garcia and Keith become junkies in the late 70s. Part of the whole trip, I guess, that you didn't try to tell people what to do with their lives, or else they just didn't feel comfortable trying to press the issue (they tried that in the mid-80s and it didn't work).

Also, they had bills to pay, and they employed a lot of people (many of whom had been with them for 20-30 years) who had bills to pay.

4. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis Forum Resident

Only by name -- worth checking out?

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I'm starting to feel like the Save Your Face hype man, but I think you would enjoy his "Space" mixes:

GD 94 Space

notesofachord, bzfgt, trd and 2 others like this.
  6. US Blues

All the actors in this scene were moving from free will- no blame.

7. US Blues

Pigpen had a congenital defect in his liver, the alcohol was certain terrible for him yet this was another factor that, in the end, prevented his recovery after he quit drinking.

8. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis Forum Resident

That looks like a great site, thanks for sharing. Lots to dig into.

SJR, KCWhistle and frightwigwam like this.
  9. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I like it (although I must say I haven't listened to it in years). It's not just "space"; it's basically a series of sound collages created from the "pre-drums jam", "drums" and "space" segments of various shows.

10. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

But in terms of the rest of the band, their reaction was startlingly similar to their reaction to Brent's death 17 years later.

March 8: Pigpen dies.
    March 15: Back out on th' road.

Basically, the Grateful Dead "family" was never a particularly warm, supportive environment for anyone, as far as I can tell.

11. US Blues

Absolutely, the family (and especially the crew) was "full of irony and spite."

12. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Yep, ultimately you had a guy with an unbreakable drug habit being enabled by an entire community. Jerry's last few years were a slow-motion train wreck. All that aside, he squeezed 100 lives into his abridged one. I'll still always wonder what could've been if some sober ninja had broken through.

13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Agitation: Dead Crimson Cow.

The final round of the PGA Championship is today in SF. They've been using SF-area music for cut-aways (I heard some Janis/Big Brother yesterday). Just now they cut-away with Estimated Prophet.

bzfgt, Dorelda_Doremus and US Blues like this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

When I was searching for Infrared Roses on Youtube, I found this chunk of improv, which is quite tasty:

Guy Smiley and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

can anyone give me their thoughts on the solo stuff ? mickey hart seems to be the only one after 2000 who seems to enjoy creating new music

16. US Blues

That happened this past January when the 49ers were in the NFL playoffs and SB- GD at the commercial cut-outs. Better than the outcome of the SB for sure. :cussing:

Crispy Rob likes this.
  17. LandHorses

LandHorses Forum Resident

Bob Weir put out Blue Mountain a few years ago, and I think it's his best solo album since Ace.

18. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Besides the Jerry stuff, I can only give my personal favorites;

Weir, Ace and Blue Mountain as mentioned above
    Phil Lesh and Friends Highlights Vol.1 This features Kimock and Jorma. Was there ever a volume 2?
    Trichromes, I'm probably in the minority here but I like this CD, Hunter co wrote most of the tunes.
    Mickey, Rolling Thunder and Diga
    Hunter, Tiger Rose

Hey LandHorses, Listened to 7/1/1985 today on the bike ride Day Job, Scarlet>Fire, Playing>UJB sequence, pretty good stuff!!!
    Summer and Fall '85 were good times!

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, adamos and 2 others like this.
  19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’m going to lay some blame at the feet of John Kahn. Nuff said.

tobyd and US Blues like this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

7 Walkers is fantastic. Highly recommended. Very sad there wasn’t more than 1 album.

21. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Pretty much this. This whole question is very well-addressed in the "Long Strange Trip" documentary.

uzn007 likes this.
  22. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Well, you're at least partially right. It's worth noting that he WAS in rehab when he died, so it's not unreasonable to blame three-packs-a-day of cigarettes, and a hot dog and milkshake diet as more direct causes of the heart attack that actually killed him.

23. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

Yep. The Grateful Dead train needed to keep rolling along. Taking a break was not an option.

US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. SJR

SJR Senior Member

I was about to post this link. I’ve mentioned before, there’s some great stuff on that site.

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident