The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

For the record, I too would wear the $hit out of that sweater a few pages back.

at my in-laws in MD right now. Only person awake. I set up the Plex app on my father in law’s giant TV and I’m watching vintage Pigpen in Festival Express. It’s been so long since I’ve seen this. It’s prime stuff. I just wish there were more shots of Garcia’s hands, but that’s always my gripe with love concert footage. Not sure Weir could handle these tempos nowadays!!!!

2. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

A bit off topic but the Buddy Guy performance on Festival Express is killer!

3. notesofachord

notesofachord Cousin Caterpillar

Fixed that for you. :righton:

4. notesofachord

12/7/71

Wow, Me and My Uncle is on fire too. This is a wonderful show for smokin’ versions of short songs. Yeah, it’s missing a big psych jam, but there are plenty of other shows for that.

5. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Yeah just listened to some GREAT soloing from Jerry on Slipknot.

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  6. notesofachord

Jerry mixing in some slide guitar on Smokestack Lightning.

Mighty tasty.

In other news, Utah has cut Oregon’s lead to 8 in the Pac12 championship. You never know...

7. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

5/21/77

Far better.

Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and Oliver like this.
  8. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Interesting. I'll have to check that out!

9. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Do you guys ever listen to the archives for a show that you own that has been officially released? Sometimes I feel the raw soundboards are just that...nice and raw and sometimes preferable for a change.

10. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I listen to the archives if I don't want to walk into the other room and find the CD.

Matthew Tate and Oliver like this.
  11. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Personally, what interests me 99% of the time now are audience tapes, if that's an option. I find a lot of the Dead soundboards, particularly the farther on you get, to just be a bit too tinny and lifeless for my tastes. They're not all Betty Boards.

Freebird, budwhite, trd and 1 other person like this.
  12. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Correct. Just a shame the DP was (Again) woefully incomplete. Never understood that.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    footlooseman likes this.
  13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Uh Huh

No

sleepjar, notesofachord and uzn007 like this.
  14. notesofachord

12/7/71

Another massive NFA>GDTRFB>NFA

With all apologies to E72, from what I’ve heard Fall ‘71 is the hottest time for this medley.

15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I jumped into this one due to your earlier post. It is quite enjoyable. Great sound with a a ton of energy. Listening to Going Down the Road Feeling Bad.

16. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Forum Resident

I'm not doin' Dicks 29, but close, and I agree with you on Sugaree from the 'hotlanta, it is sweet
    nirvana that clocks an epic passing of time. As a matter of fact DiP 29 may be my favorite
    double show package. May 19th is classic to be sure, but the Lakewood show on the 21st has really
    grown on me over the years. It sort of shakes you up, and spins you around while the energy
    pours out of the speaker gear, my favorite rock and roll Dead record.

Since I have a little of the spirit of the Force, and I am watching Rogue One A Star Wars Story at
    the moment, Daves Vol 1 was so chosen for this late evening's entertainment. Disc one is a
    set that I always love to hear; my feelings and opinion on this show are pretty high. For one,
    the recording and separation are exceptional, and it is sequenced nicely with outstanding
    performances. There is a workman-like deliberation and discipline to Jack Straw; Peggy 0
    is beautiful, I could go on, but I've said enough. It's always great to be back, cheers everyone...

:cheers:

[​IMG]

laf848, KCWhistle, ARK and 9 others like this.
  17. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A mind forever voyaging...

That was the type of game the Ducks usually blow. The D wasn't having any of that tonight.

I just got home and decided to let Relisten call the tune and it gave me 2/12/70 Ungano Theater in NYC, stuck in the middle of that Fillmore East run. Considerable speculation about whether this show was performed at all and this is just some other date with a mislabeled tape box. Jerry's on the Sunburst Strat so it's from that time period. LIA and others have essays about this so I will not go on. Whatever this is, it's pretty fn good. Excellent SQ too.

Cold Rain & Snow
    5:30

Beat It On Down the Line (5)
    2:43

Good Lovin' ->
    1:46

Drums ->
    2:05

Good Lovin'
    5:01

Mama Tried ->
    2:38

Black Peter
    9:11

Hard To Handle
    6:35

Saint Stephen ->
    6:49

Not Fade Away
    9:07

Casey Jones
    4:48

If they did perform this show is this all there is? Another unanswered question, it seems. A lengthy bit of Good Lovin' is missing, it seems to me. Early electric versions of Black Peter are my favorite. This one's sweet.

18. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

I mostly stick to the albums on Spotify nowadays, was a while since I used the Archives (or the Relisten app in my case)

ianuaditis and Oliver like this.
  19. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Always preferred 5/19 but 5/22 now takes the throne.
    The booklet from the release is a great read! Typical Phil.

Have not heard the Mosque show since 2012; might be time.

20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That is the early show from 13 February 1970- Fillmore East. The "Ungano's Nightclub" rumor is old, venerable, and needs to be terminated with extreme prejudice.

talkingleaf, ARK, Archtop and 6 others like this.
  21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Been listening to Go To Nassau over the past few days (5/15-16 1980) ....what great shows!!! Is this era typically always that good?

Also - got the Mars Hotel Mofi vinyl (45 RPM) and it sounds wonderful.

JQ

KCWhistle, Crispy Rob, SJR and 5 others like this.
  22. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Forum Resident

That surprised me and Utah blew their opportunity, but I have an Oregon Football sweatshirt so it's
    all good. I'm and SEC-er, but there will be other very interesting games today besides the
    Atlanta showdown today. The Baylor -- Oklahoma game will decide the next tumble from
    the playoff picture, at noon here no less. Beers up...

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

Musically I think it's typical of the era. As it's mixed from multitrack, the sound quality is better than most available recordings from that year.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Remember, they left off the 'dirge tempo' Terrapin Station that preceded Playing In The Band. Editing is the key to glory.

25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Evil Twin

I prefer the 60s Rolling Stones myself, Jagger's country music affectations get under my skin after a while.

Since I read this post earlier, I put on their first couple of albums, it's not as clear when you listen to their 70s albums what kind of influence they had over US rock bands, including the GD. Garcia and Phil both talk about how much they sounded like the early Rolling Stones when they got started, and they really do. If Warners had started scouting them a bit earlier they could've churned out 2-3 albums similar to the Stones' first few discs. Their original material maybe wouldn't have been as strong as Aftermath, but they certainly could churn out covers like the Stones. US record execs missed the boat.
    This is a good analogy for appreciating all eras of GD.
    There was an ad in the Village Voice for the show that day. Given the venue, it would seem possible they could have played it but not recorded it, even though Bear was still around.

The usual suspects have an article on it:
    Lost Live Dead: February 12, 1970 Ungano's, New York, NY 210 West 70th Street The Grateful Dead

KCWhistle, ARK, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.