The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

This Altamont discussion has got me thinking about '69 Stones and '69 Dead. While '72 Stones and '72 Dead is quite often acknowledged as peak Stones and peak Dead, there is something about the heavy, muscular sound of both bands in '69 that just cannot be beaten or replicated. Both bands reflected the tenor of the times as a weighty, apocalyptic sound infused their music, especially live. Both were playing primal rock & roll at the top of their game. Marimbas were replaced by Keith's attacking guitar on "Under My Thumb," and despite Mick saying it was, it was not "all right."

laf848, sami, notesofachord and 6 others like this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Regional leader in sales

I put on “singles 1968-1971” just a bit ago myself.

sami, footlooseman and Frosst like this.
  3. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Sweet Stones nectar. I gotta apologize for monopolizing this thread today. I'm a real sucker for any "death of the 60s" discussion and, of course, the Rolling Stones.

Might cleanse my palate later with some 5/4/77 Grateful Dead with its throwback (73/74-ish) "Playing in the Band."

KCWhistle, sami, bzfgt and 7 others like this.
  4. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Right now I'm listening to Rock The Cradle, Egypt 1978. A really sweet Row Jimmy among other highlights.

bzfgt, US Blues, Matthew Tate and 6 others like this.
  5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Evil Twin

Per Scully, cops wanted nothing to do with any of it: "there are no police to be found anywhere! They are smart, they stayed away. They're off drinking in some redneck bar somwhere saying 'Let those f***ing Hell's Angels kill the hippies, the **** do we care?"

Meredith was hassled by some Angels and then went back to his car to get his gun; maybe if it was cops he wouldn't have, though cops in the 60s were nothing like the paramilitary tactical forces we have these days.

It seems much less suicidal for some guy at a hippie concert in the 60s, with 1oo,ooo anti-establishment types swarming all over to say 'I'm gonna get my piece and teach these pigs a lesson' versus nowadays (or even the 80s which is when the police became much more militarized.)
    Not only that, but evidently there was a steep hill all around and the stage was at the bottom. Highly questionable decision to move forward, but the Stones had to have the finale to their concert film (and the GD took the brunt of the blame for the Angels.)

6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

The Shakedown Street is the highlight of this set

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Egypt has the best and most unique Shakedown jam

8. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

I haven’t heard the Egypt shows in a long time, I should pull them out.

9. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

In my opinion the highlight of RTC was the Fire On The Mountain jam

10. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

The famous San Francisco Be-In? Hell's Angels were security.
    Those free Dead shows in Golden Gate Park? Hell's Angels were security.
    It may seem like an insane decision but it had worked before. Altamont was the result of a cumulation of bad decisions, but also just not anticipating the different environment at Altamont...not the same group of Angels and not the same peaceful attitude that had prevailed at Golden Gate events.
    The Dead & Garcia continued to play at Hell's Angels events in later years, which apparently went off very well. You don't hear of anyone getting stomped at 11/23/70 or 3/25/72 or 9/5/73...although I would imagine the audiences there surrounded by burly bikers were super-well-behaved, unlike some of the manically zonked crowd members at Altamont.

Then you sure don't want to read Steve Parish's book!

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

I thought Lesh and Kreutzmann's books were good for what they were, but I got the feeling from them that Lesh wishes he'd been a classical composer/conductor and Kreutzmann wishes he'd been Keith Moon or John Bonham, and neither of them takes you inside what it felt like to be creating those epic improvs in the 60's or 70's. I've only glanced at Parish's book.

bzfgt likes this.
  12. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Yeah, the Ollin Arageed -> Fire is the highlight by a long shot. The "Shakedown" is interesting in that Jerry gets completely lost during the first solo section and just stretches it out indefinitely... I don't know about "best ever". It's unique, and interesting, but pretty mellow compared the the versions I think of as best ever.

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Agree with all of this.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

6/30/85 is peak Shakedown

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That's probably tops in my book. 10/25/79 New Haven is up there (available with tape speed issues on Road Trips 1.1). 4/2/89 Pittsburgh is probably the best I personally caught live. Although there are some good ones with Keith, my favorite Shakedowns tend to be from the Brent era.

KeninDC, footlooseman, adamos and 2 others like this.
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Get Ya Hands Outta Your Pockets

Run, Rudolph, Run!!

Grateful Dead
    Dave’s Picks Volume 22
    Felt Forum, NYC, 12/7/71
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Run skeleton doofuses, run!!!

KCWhistle, KeninDC, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  18. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Shakedown:

4-6-82
    12-31-84
    6-30-85
    4-10-87
    4-5-91
    9-22-91

The two from 1984 and 1985 are often cited as the best ever, and I wouldn't argue against either one.

Oliver, Crispy Rob, adamos and 2 others like this.
  19. trd

trd Forum Resident

We discussed the Shakedown some months back, it’s unique in that they don’t go to the major key in the second jam. Only version like that I am aware of

20. notesofachord

notesofachord Get Ya Hands Outta Your Pockets

12/7/71

Wow, Cumberland Blues is white hot and Brokedown Palace is delightful. This is a great first set.

Bill the Drummer and Keith the Wonderkid are especially on.

Update: Hot Casey Jones too!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I’ll have to check out those ‘87 and ‘91 versions, I don’t think I’ve heard them except possibly 9/22/91. 12/31/84 has never quite done it for me as much as it seems tomfor others, but certainly good, and 4/6/82 is another favorite of mine. 11/21/85 has rough vocals but a great jam.

uzn007 and Oliver like this.
  22. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

9/7/85 has a much different vibe from 6/30 but is also a top version.

Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  23. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Never thought I'd say this but the past week I've been listening to '77 tours in general and I'm REALLY digging it. Just so different from my comfort zone of early Dead. I think I get it now.
    The analogy I'd use is ...Beer! You drink a highly rated stout and love it. You then immediately drink a highly rated IPA and you think yuck! After awhile you get used to the change in taste and then you love your IPA. :laugh:

KCWhistle, Panama Hotel, ARK and 5 others like this.
  24. sberger

sberger Grumpy(but grateful) geezer

25. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Now playing Dicks Picks Vol 3 5/22/77. Nice show.