The Four Seasons Edizone D'oro Reel to Reel

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoguy, Dec 7, 2019.

1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

So, I've been listening to a digital transfer of a mint 1968 reel to reel copy of The Four Seasons Edizone D'oro.

Sure, the actual fidelity isnt as good as some recent CDs. But there is a very interesting thing about it.....many of these mixes seem clearer than other versions of the same song.
    It almost seems like the master reel used for the reel to reel issue were tape copies that were 'unfutzed' with like many of the Seasons tapes were. I can hear things in the mix that I don't hear on the cds with this material. Any Four Seasons fans here would like to comment?

billh likes this.
  2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I have Edizione D'Oro on original vinyl and many CD 'greatest hits' collections on CD.

It is hard to compare them as the sound is all over the map; some are pitiful while others are outstanding.

The Partnership has not policed this very well.

3. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

I bought the vinyl album over 30 years ago (I think) because it had Rag Doll in stereo. Not very good stereo though, hardly better than mono. Is there a good stereo version anywhere?

4. stereoguy

Shaker....the stereo version on the Edizone D'oro is a beautiful, wide stereo mix.

5. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

3 3/4 IPS, duplicated at 16x speed, from whatever generation copy tapes Philips supplied then. Typical rock tape. OK quality with a good copy, but a true near mint LP on most average forum member turntable/tonearm/cartridge setups would slay this tape in terms of quality. The so called "Master Reel" which sourced this tape you have, is most likely 4th or 5th generation by the way at best.

6. stereoguy

Hi Mclover. Actually, I used to be a Production manager for a custom record and tape manufacturer, so I know all about the high speed duping, bin loop masters and all that. Thats not the issue.

And as far as the mint Lp goes....the bass response was slashed on the (2) Lp set in order to fit 29 tracks. I actually have a mint Lp, and the digital transfer of the reel to reel is actually better...at least it has some low end.

What I'm saying is that it sounds to me like the reel to reel issue used a master reel that did not have a lot of the extra EQ, compression, etc, that the lps had.

7. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

What I am saying, this tape would have been better had it been released some 7 or 8 years earlier, had been at 7 1/2 IPS, duplicated at 4X speed. I know about the LP's faults very well. Philips and Mercury LP discs of the era, often suffered from overmodulation, and all but the best of tonearms and cartridges could track them without mistracking damage.

8. stereoguy

Agreed. Have to say tho, that the transfer I have from the reel to reel tape is surprisingly good sounding (knowing what I know about 1960s reel to reel manufacture).

I am told that Edizone D'oro will be included in the new Four Seasons 40 Cd Box Set...apparently they found the 1968 assembly master. So, *thats* where it will sound as good as its ever gonna get.

McLover likes this.
  9. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

I hope the box set version is the best we can get from that 1968 assembly master, and that it's well mastered, with full dynamic range intact as best it can be. This will be welcome news.

10. stereoguy

It sure will. I have been comparing the versions on EDO to the same songs on the 4 Seasons Cds I have. There are some obvious variations, like "Dawn" without the slow intro, etc, but as I said earlier, the mixes seem to be clearer, with less compression and final EQ that I hear elsewhere. We shall see!!!!

11. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

I wish we still had all the Four Seasons master tapes intact, and the multi-tracks available. A crime that we do not have these preserved and available for present day remastering work.

john lennonist likes this.
  12. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I'm a fan of the Seasons, but not familiar with their tape situation. Are there mostly missing/lost multi-track tapes that prevent remixing the songs, or is there a political situation within the organization that is not allowing this to be done?

Royce likes this.
  13. Royce

Royce Forum Resident

Here's a thread from Steve (Hoffman) himself that explains everything. Despite it's age, everything in it is still true.

Past Four Seasons Sessions And Masters..

kwadguy and McLover like this.
  14. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Yes, you're right. I was thinking of another song. I've just dug my vinyl copy out & played it, as you say it's a nice wide mix but then near the end it jumped in a few places, one of my favourite songs.....but luckily for me I have a second copy of the album & it plays perfectly. Why I bought the second copy, many years ago I can't remember...but I'm glad I did.

15. stereoguy

Yup. And for some wierd reason, the stereo Rag Doll is a bit hard to find on CD.

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City!

I have the LP, but Ace CD reissue is hard to beat:edthumbs::cheers:

17. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Thank you, Royce! I didn't realize there were so many issues with the Four Seasons tape archive. That definitely explained a lot about why we've only gotten the versions we have, and why certain mixes were used even though they are not the "correct" ones.

Royce likes this.
  18. Royce

Royce Forum Resident

Forgive the delayed response Ken, you're welcome! :)

19. Ken Charmer

Ken Charmer Well-Known Member

The Engineer at Reynolds Mastering has two sets of Master Tapes from the Partnership Archives and both are safety copies......but one is 15 ips. I've asked him if he can review these against a vinyl album dub to assess their quality as transfers. When I get feedback from him I will advise here. But he has confirmed it will be DISC 15 of the set with 29 tracks from the best surviving source......on CD in FULL for the first time.

20. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

I'm sure you're aware of this, but the stereo tracks from the ACE CD were supposedly mastered from an R2R copy.

21. stereoguy

Veefan, I dont have the ACE Cd, but wasnt that Cd *not* a representative version of ED because the stereo/mono content of the CD didnt match the Lps? Thats how I remember it, unless senility is setting in!

22. stereoguy

It would be really nice if they made the ED Disk#15 available separately.

23. Ken Charmer

Ken Charmer Well-Known Member

Maybe...if the set sells out and some people think follow-on re-issues as NEW 2020 Re-masters will sell enough.

24. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Correct - the ACE CD only featured the Edizone stereo mixes that were different to the original albums.

25. stereoguy

Thanks, good to know I remembered correctly. Really looking forward to a remastered ED. I've got the Lp set AND the reel to reel, neither is really great sounding. But the mixes (to me) are GREAT. Everything in nice wide stereo except "Ronnie", because no stereo tape existed.