The Faith No More Listening Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChristopherTeuma, Sep 9, 2019.

1. ChristopherTeuma

ChristopherTeuma Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. ChristopherTeuma

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"The Last to Know" has some cool melodic stuff going on and I don't dislike it but I'm typically pretty fatigued by this record at this point so I think I tend to be less forgiving of the tail end. (The same thing happens to me with "Album of the Year" but in the case of that particular album I'm pretty sure it's because the last three tracks blow (ha ha)). This album is too long for me and I want to go do something else by this point in my listening. This sensation of restlessness begins following "Take This Bottle" at around the 40 minute mark. Not necessarily the fault of the material. I blame myself.

I'm listening to KFAD in the car again today, blasting "Caca" as I pull into the parking lot at work. Very therapeutic.

4. ChristopherTeuma

You ever tried a resequence? Is there a better, shorter version?

I'm gonna have a think about a resequence once we get through the bonus stuff, because there are some more "old" FNM sounds in there.
    I haven't had a go at the 7x7 vinyl sequence.

There's clearly an EP of the rock songs - Get Out, Gentle Art, Cuckoo, Ugly, What A Day. Punk.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    mark winstanley likes this.
  5. ChristopherTeuma

I feel like The Last to Know is the pivot point of the old sound into what we get from here on out. The ringing chords, I guess there's a "boop-boop" in the "Look at me" bit, the toms/snare flams...

I really do love the guitar solo, and how it's supported by - HEY GUY'S, IT'S - Roddy's voicings...

Patton's full voice is almost grown up (or fully grown? thoughts thread?)...

Listening to this album day-by-day does sort of spoil the flow. The last few songs on this album have always had a bit of an "LMNOP" effect on me.

6. Daniel Plainview

I had considered about that. The box of singles was produced for a reason. Maybe that's the way to go. Maybe this album is best digested one song at a time in any old order you please. I don't own the singles box, and I'm not sure I want to make the investment at this point just for the sake of experimentation.

As I've said, there's nothing on the album I particularly dislike (although I definitely like some tracks much more than others), yet I find the experience of listening to the album as a whole to be... less than satisfying... Maybe it works best as a bunch of songs floating around freely and not shackled to the confines of a 57-minute record album.

7. Wigru

Wigru Forum Resident

This one I also enjoyed more live. The heavy almost Sabbath-like riff in the middle section is great, but indeed the solo and the later guitar part is not valued enough. It has more soul in it than Jim Martin ever could play.

Trey is a really amazing guitar player and it's a shame that he didn't do more pop oriented things in his career.

8. ChristopherTeuma

The things he has done, in and out of the Secret Chiefs 3 world, are spectacular. The Trey Spruance musical story is nowhere near over, who knows if he works on more pop in the coming decades...

asdf35 and mark winstanley like this.
  9. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Well said, that fatigue was exactly my problem. It was so bad for me, I didn't realize how great the last song was ("Just A Man") until recently. I'll be the last to know. Never got past the "Bottle." I'm starting to get the bug from listening/watching more recent shows at youtube. "Just a Man" is definitely a highlight of live shows, as is "Ashes to Ashes." I bought those albums on release days, but damned if I remember them. These songs really breathe live, of course with super-animation from Mike.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Pick up a fast car, burn my name in the road

So caught up with stuff, I got really behind.
    I love this song ... I don't really know why, I just love it

11. ChristopherTeuma

Man was born to love-
    Though often he has sought
    Like Icarus, to fly to high
    And far too lonely then he ought
    To kill the sun of east and west
    And hold the world as his behest

To hold the terrible power
    To whom only gods are blessed-
    But me, I am

Just a Man
    King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime 1995

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sky is clear tonight
    Sky is clear tomorrow

A star is out
    I reach for one to sparkle in my hand
    A star is out
    I will not touch you I am just a man

Sky is clear tonight
    Sky is clear tomorrow

-And every night I shut my eyes
    So I don't have to see the light
    Shining so bright
    I'll dream about a cloudy sky,
    A cloudy sky

Sky is clear tonight
    Sky is clear tomorrow

A star is out
    I reach for one to sparkle in my hand
    (In your hand)
    A star is out
    I will not touch you I am and just a man
    (Cuz he is just a man)

"Man was born to love-
    Though often he has sought
    Like Icarus, to fly to high
    And far too lonely then he ought
    To kill the sun of east and west
    And hold the world as his behest
    To hold the terrible power
    To whom only gods are blessed-
    But me, I am just a man"

--And every night I shut my eyes
    (See the light)
    Shining so bright
    (I dream, dream about)
    A cloudy sky
    (Cloudy sky)

And every night I shut my eyes
    But now I've got them open wide
    (Open wide)
    You've fallen into my hands
    (You're fallen, fallen, into my hands)
    And now you're burning me
    And now you're burning me

(See the light)
    Shining so bright
    (I dream, dream about)
    About a cloudy sky
    (Cloudy sky)

But now I've got them open wide
    (Open wide)
    You've fallen into my hands
    (You've fallen, fallen, into my hands)
    Shining so bright
    About a cloudy sky

A cloudy sky
    A cloudy sky
    A cloudy sky
    That's what I say
    (See the light)
    (Shining so bright)
    I'll dream about that cloudy sky
    (I dream, dream about)
    About a cloudy sky
    (Cloudy sky)

LYRICS: King For A Day...Fool For A Lifetime

Faith No More - Just a Man
    Faith No More - Just a Man (2016 Remaster)
    Faith No More - Just a Man (2016 Remaster)
    Open Qobuz
    Open Qobuz
    Faith No More - Just a Man - Listen on Deezer
    Faith No More - Just a Man (2016 Remaster) - Listen on Deezer
    ‎Just a Man by Faith No More
    ‎Just a Man (2016 Remastered Version) by Faith No More
    Just a Man
    Just a Man (2016 Remaster)
    Just a Man
    Just a Man - 2016 Remaster

KING FOR A DAY | 21st Anniversary | Bill Gould Interview
    Where did the idea to include live brass on Star AD and a choir on Just A Man come from?
    Billy "Well, I wrote the horn parts for Star AD with a midi instrument, so anything less than real horns would have sounded completely ridiculous.
    The choir on Just a Man, if I remember, was Mike P’s idea. We recorded both the horns and the choir the same afternoon..it was quite a fun day.
    "

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  12. ChristopherTeuma

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

"Just A Man" is an odd song. The Asian-flavored verse melody, the abrupt interlude, the choir... I'm still not sure about it, but Mike sings it so earnestly I feel I should try harder to embrace it.

We've come a long way from "Get Out". I don't know why the album feels so long but it does. Phew!

asdf35 likes this.
  14. ChristopherTeuma

12 November 2011
    Maquinaria Festival Santiago, Chile

15. ChristopherTeuma

from Faith No More? Never.

I think it's entirely earnest, the eastern is the same eastern, with the same Roddy voicings since We Care a Lot!

I love this entirely earnest song, it recalls this/that Robert Palmer song Every King of People or something of that late 70s white guy in the Carribean thing thing, but then Patton amps up the character.
    This and Star A.D. were my immediate favourites as a 13 year old, in 1997. It was so difficult to find real instruments and real colour in this type of music.
    I am, and was, a big Smashing Pumpkins fan, and their orchestrations were wonderful, but compared to this stuff it was dreary and amateur.
    I didn't know this was the guy from Mr Bungle for years, I took the credits to mean he played the guitar and that was that. That he orchestrated the orchrestrations, speed wrote them, should've been no suprise.
    That Billy orchestrated them first, as I have for years, on a MIDI staff staring at a big monitor attached to a sort-of-floats-about-the-room-with-purpose PC tower, sounding out farty SoundBlaster (or whatever Billy was using) sounds. That Billy demo-ed out the songs and ideas for the album, that's news to me.
    It wasn't a surprise that Patton wanted the choir - but listen to it - "You're fallen, fallen, into my haaaaands". If this is Trey's work, he's really getting his Michael Jackson "Heal the World" (which I think came later) on, he's going for R&B Gospel of the 1991 radio variety, and they're succeeding. I can hear the singers smiling.

Maybe it isn't professional sounding compared to what they're aping, this isn't Henry Mancini or Ennio Morricone level arrangement.. but it's something close, and this is still our weird nerdy No-Wave/Punks in this Gospel drapery.

Wigru, Daniel Plainview and asdf35 like this.
  16. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

"Just a Man" kills as a set closer. I'm definitely digging these songs - in the live setting.

I was just...exposed...to the Brisbane 2010 "Just A Man" incident today. That's more Mike Patton than I intended to see heh heh.

Also watched the Coachella set, where he throws in some throat singing to end "Just a Man." No doubt there are 1000 other notable versions and incidents, and I'll try to see/hear them all.

Wigru and ChristopherTeuma like this.
  17. Wigru

Wigru Forum Resident

This is the best song on the entire album. Even the reviewers who didn't like the album mentioned this song as a sincere highlight.

A choir. Not just any classical choir, as many gothic metal bands use, but a gospel choir!

It's then only song I expect them to play live. Luckily it's a favourite of the band also. I think this is what Patton really wants to make (cfr Mondo Cane). He's Always more motivated doing this song.

18. Daniel Plainview

I wish I hadn't googled this. I was hoping he had outgrown such antics. He's a very talented man... but he's also a bit sick.

ChristopherTeuma and asdf35 like this.
  19. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Ha ha , sorry. In his defense he was only like 42 at the time. Just a (young) man...The sick part is I read about this and then specifically looked it up to verify. I can only blame myself!

I like the wild live shows, none of his antics ever really bother me. Except when he's mean to people in the audience, during some "karaoke" incidents. I imagine being in the front row and having the luck to get Mike in my face demanding me to sing. I'm afraid I'd screw up and he'd slap my head and then dive on top of me.

There's a good quote/article from Mike about how he never intends or plans to get crazy on stage. His goal is to just do the music....but things happen. I'll have to find the article and post.

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  20. ChristopherTeuma

Worse than nothing

Absolute Zero

Digging the Grave February 28, 1995
    B Sides And Alternate Versions March 13, 1995
    King For a Day... Fool for a Lifetime Deluxe Edition September 9, 2016

LYRICS: King For A Day...Fool For A Lifetime B-sides

Can we begin at the end to save some time?

Dead center
    Point blank
    Together
    The clock is ticking
    You have no authority here
    Float like a dead man down the river
    And there are no streets in this city

Et cetera is my worst enemy
    It's low and I know it all will go
    To the big hand of the god damned

You're here
    Red dot
    And now you know where not to go

The middle ground is absolute zero
    What can be found at absolute zero

Can we begin at the end to save some time?

Et cetera is my worst enemy
    It's low and I know it all will go
    To the big hand of the god damned
    The big hand of the bald man

The middle ground is absolute zero
    What can be found at absolute zero
    A happy end is absolute zero
    Nobody wins an absolute zero

Worse than nothing
    Nothing...
    Worse than nothing
    Nothing...
    Nothing...

Faith No More - Absolute Zero (2016 Remaster)
    Faith No More - Absolute Zero (Digging the Grave B-Side) [2016 Remaster]
    Open Qobuz
    Absolute Zero (Digging the Grave B-Side) (2016 Remaster)
    Faith No More - Absolute Zero (Digging the Grave B-Side; 2016 Remaster) - Listen on Deezer
    Absolute Zero - Digging the Grave B-Side; 2016 Remaster
    Absolute Zero (Digging the Grave B-Side; 2016 Remaster)

10 Singles That Faith No More Should Have Released

'That track was all Patton, can't remember why it was left off the album, probably a time issue. We had loads of great stuff left over.' Mike Bordin 2015 FAITH NO MORE RARITIES | #4 Absolute Zero

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  21. ChristopherTeuma

22. ChristopherTeuma

23. Wigru

Wigru Forum Resident

Indeed, should have been on the album. Is that Spruance in the video?

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Really good song. Probably my favorite non-lp track.

25. ChristopherTeuma

Sure is. For one night in Chile in 2011.

I of course love this song. I heard it first on my friend Adam's blue Digging the Grave cassingle, which he either dubbed for me or I dubbed myself, but I listened to it a lot. I parsed the lyrics slowly, play/pause.. if the lyrics I pulled from the still live old Faith No More website are correct, well teenaged me was way off. But I've been getting the main bits right.

"Et Cetera is my worst enemy" has always been close at mind, any situation where someone glossed over information they needed to communicate. It happens a lot. I do it a lot.
    "The middle ground is Absolute Zero" might be the story of "Songwriting, by Faith No More" - how can we ignore that this is Patton's song about not compromising? And this is Patton's GUITAR ROCK song about it. If Jim was pissed off that Patton was taking too much control, I'd say he had grounds!

I'm getting "Patton song" from the Mike Bordin quote I included, up until now I'd thought this was a Gould/Spruance deal, but I'm not surprised if it was all Patton's ideas. There's something about the Patton guitar songs that aren't dropped-d, but are constructed as if they are, that I think comes from Patton not being physically able to play guitar.. I'll have to look up a source, but I have a vague recollection he has no feeling in his left arm.. regardless, the Patton guitar songs - Malpractice, Gentle Art, Get Out, and I suppose this - are all, well they're not ham fisted to play properly, I mean Jim Martin and Trey Spruance interpreted them, with power chords (and many lovely Major thirds) that I presume Patton can't operate, they're ham fisted sounding. Match that with Mike Bordin's self-constructed playing style, and you get this proto-King For a Day perfection.

The riffing, we got a boop-boop!
    And it's from our tentpoles Billy and Mike Bordin. With Trey's riffing syncopating the whole deal.
    And like Cuckoo for Caca, Roddy gets his voice heard.

It's a damn shame this wasn't a single, but I'd argue it doesn't come near "radio ready", and I'd say Ricochet (a song I don't care for) does, Evidence and Digging the Grave definitely do.
    I dunno what detail would shine it up and not ruin it, more open hi-hat? Some "whoa-oah"s? Some scratching?!?
    Ooooh.. I'm very tempted to, as is my humour, create this version... no, I don't have the time, you're welcome.

Absolute Zero
    is a Top 5 Faith No More song.
    Bringing my Top 5 to about an 11..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    youngchoulin and SHU like this.