The Beatles sound best on...reel to reel?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Jun 30, 2017.

1. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

That would sound good depending on your setup but, it will not be anywhere close to a true 15 ips tape dub!!!

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mainstream rock /pop.
    Does anyone do ( true)15ips dub then /now ?

3. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

7 1/2 IPS for needledrops, IEC EQ, 1/2 track Stereo is more than good enough for dubbing an LP. Mine are done this way, tones at the head of the reel for level and azimuth. If it was good enough for Drake/Chenault, it's more than good enough for moi.

4. violarules

violarules Forum Resident

The Beatles recorded to tape because that is what every single professional studio (outside of developing nations) was using. Recording direct-to-disc went out in the very early 1950's. It wasn't because the Beatles were special or perfectionists, at least not at the early stage of their career. Nor did they need multi-track recording early on, either, since most of their recording was done to two track with not a tone in the way of overdubs. It was simply the professional standard and the standard of EMI. Full stop.

DRM likes this.
  5. MichaelArcane

MichaelArcane Purveyor of Terrible Opinions

Bouncing digital recordings to tape is still very common. Tape does have a certain "sound" and it often takes the edge off of digital recordings. Plenty of people love the coloration it lends to cymbals, especially.

But that doesn't mean that playback on tape is superior. Magnetic tape can deteriorate over time.

6. violarules

violarules Forum Resident

I never said any of those things weren't true. :laugh:

7. MichaelArcane

MichaelArcane Purveyor of Terrible Opinions

Never said you did ;)

8. krisjay

krisjay Forum Resident

How about direct from the masters, 15ips reels of The Beatles catalog. I'd pay 200 for certain titles. Could a company make any profit at a 200 dollar price point?

9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I have over 200 Beatles cassettes. Tape can maintain high quality sound for decades.

10. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

Doubt it would make money at $200. Very expensive catalog to license, assuming you can license it at all. (and likely impossible) And also, there would be a running master involved, which would make your tape 3rd generation at best. Add $100-$150 to your price tag for any real profit to be made.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  11. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Sure is tempting! I have read the tapes are copied from a digital master. I don't know if this is true! What I do know, an analogue copy of the master -or- the production master itself can not be played repeatedly hundreds of times without some fidelity loss. The 15 ips tapes could be strictly a limited run, (copied one at a time in real time) or they are indeed copied from a digital master.

A digital master isn't a bad thing at all. However if the buyer believes the product is made from a 100% analogue chain, as per advertisement, this would be deceptive. In my opinion, any 15 ips two track reel to reel copied in real time from any high definition 1st gen copy from the master should be worth the $200.00 tag.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I doubt that very much, I've got no idea how much a reel of quality freshly made virgin tape cost these days but it probably cost something in that order just for the blank tape alone.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  13. The FRiNgE

Mostly agree! I have some 30 year old cassettes, and 50 year pre-recorded reel to reels that play beautifully. But they won't play forever. The tapes must be stored correctly, away from magnetic fields... which the average home is a minefield. The sources of AC RFI can be from any electric motor (vacuum cleaner) a "wall wart" power supply, fluorescent lights (transformer) a desk halogen lamp (transformer) door bell transformer, your neighbor's fluorescent lights just below your floor (walls and floors do not stop magnetism).. The RFI from a laptop computer could "erase" some of the signal from tapes. Heat dries out tape. Magnetized heads sap the high frequencies out of your tapes. (who demags the heads?) Finally, repeated play reduces signal amplitude, higher frequencies, and also micro dynamics.. low level signal. Dust on the tape and/or heads accelerate physical wear.

If any of us were a cassette tape, we should have a lot to be afraid of.
    Records are another story, a different set of predatory devices!

DRM likes this.
  14. The FRiNgE

Good point, but at retail prices prohibitive. Even at just above cost, not much profit could be made at $200.00 per tape. @McLover mentions licensing fees, which for The Beatles can not be cheap.

15. rocnred

rocnred Southwest Desert Freak-a-zoid

The Beatles sound best on... ACID!
    (I swear that last piano note on "A Day in the Life" lasted 6 minutes and 23 seconds. Then you got the squeaky chair and the "Shhhh". It changed my life in 1976)
    That is my final answer.

16. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

Two good 10.5" reels of RMGI tape, one's looking at $160-$180 retail alone. At 15 IPS, normally covers two LP sides a la Tape Project. $350-$400 reality for pre-recorded tapes this way. Very expensive to make.

Uglyversal likes this.
  17. krisjay

krisjay Forum Resident

Sign me up for the 400 dollar Abbey Road, and you only live once, so also put me down for the 800 dollar White Album then.

18. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

Good luck. As you have the Beatles estates and Apple to deal with, and Universal Music to deal with. That's a major licensing obstacle to deal with, likely impossible or absurdly high fees.

Uglyversal likes this.
  19. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

Are the original master tapes owned by Abbey Road Studios?

I bet they’ve got some mileage on them by now.

20. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Yes, I was disconnected of current prices for tapes, I even don't know how easy is to obtain freshly made tape but the prices you quote are no surprise at all and at 15 IPS tape go very quickly, to me the $200 for a recorded top product did not add up. Thank you!