The Beatles: Single By Single

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bailes, Nov 15, 2019.

1. nikh33

nikh33 Forum Resident

Go to 2:32

William Smart, zipp, Dean R and 3 others like this.
  2. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

Yes

3. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

As a big fan of Love of the Loved, does anyone know why this was left of Anthology One? :confused:

stevenson66g likes this.
  4. Bailes

Bailes Billy Shears Thread Starter

They should've just officially released the entirety of the Decca Audition on a CD (maybe something entitled "The Beatles 1962" or something like that).

William Smart and pablo fanques like this.
  5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Never released in the U.K.

NumberEight likes this.
  6. nikh33

nikh33 Forum Resident

Why wonder? Every Beatles single in the US was mono until Get Back/Don't Let Me Down. Every Beatles single in the UK was mono until Ballad of John and Yoko/Old Brown Shoe.

7. nikh33

nikh33 Forum Resident

Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand and Sie Leibt Dich were never released in the UK (until Rarities LP in 1978).

8. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

yet it was released in OZ... Strange ole world

9. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Love Me Do's best bit is the harmonica for me. PS I Love You reminds me of the type of background music in Carry On films for some reason. My mum bought the single when it was a hit, and pretty much dumped her Cliff Richard fandom for The Beatles from that point on.

10. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes, but Paul is the primary writer in both, which was the first question.

pablo fanques likes this.
  11. nikh33

nikh33 Forum Resident

As you know I find Yellow Submarine was a 50/50, John writing the verse and Paul later writing the chorus as they both describe in 1967. The initial idea for the song that became Yellow Submarine was therefore John's.

AFOS likes this.
  12. nikh33

nikh33 Forum Resident

PS I Love You could have been written by anyone at any time up to October 1962, but Love Me Do was ear-catchingly, uniquely Lennon/McCartney.

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

Maybe cover the EPs here too

marmalade166 and blutiga like this.
  14. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I heard it was"PPM" he passed on
    According to Litttle Steven, at this point Vee Jay retained 10% of all US Beatles releases through 1968.

But the contract was cancelled when Vee Jay failed to make a royalty payment of... $860.

William Smart and marmalade166 like this.
  16. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I know, that argument can be made and I respect it. But I'm not convinced. I think it's Paul's idea and John and others helped out to finish it.

William Smart likes this.
  17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

P.S. is definitely a more sophisticated song, but I think Love Me Do is catchier and was the better single. Definitely my least favorite UK Beatles single other than possibly Ballad/Brown Shoe. But still a fun song.

I have been making a lot of use in it teaching my daughter to play guitar. Starting out just strumming the 3 chords, then getting the line going with her thumb while picking the chords with her other fingers, and now advancing to playing the harmonica melodies and bass line simultaneously. So it has taken her through a lot of stages of playing and she is real psyched to now be doing the whole band (other than drums) with her guitar and voice.

18. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Or, if they only wanted to release five of the Decca tracks on Anthology, then at least include all three of the Lennon-McCartney originals.

pablo fanques, goodiesguy and FJFP like this.
  19. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The harmonica solo of Love Me Do has gone from simple to profound. For me it's a rhapsody that can be played with the knowledge of the altering from the innocence of the band and the era to all of all the glory and cultural change that is to come due to their ongoing development and significance.

20. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

That John does the echo part tells me he wrote some of it.
    Btw I used to think it was Paul echoing Ringo if for no other reason he uses similar effect on Uncle Albert

William Smart likes this.
  21. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I must be the only one who doesn't like the Harmonica. Blah. But then I also love the bagpipes:wtf:

22. I thought it was Paul....and Donovan.

Samantha Wolf and AFOS like this.
  23. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Flying High

Poor Cliff :cry:

24. Bailes

Bailes Billy Shears Thread Starter

Please Please Me

[​IMG]

UK Single Released: 11 January 1963
    US Single Released: 7 February 1963
    B-side of: Ask Me Why (UK, US Original Release), From Me to You (US Later Release)

The Beatles had accomplished a modest debut success with "Love Me Do", but outside of Liverpool and Hamburg they were still practically unknown. Part of the problem was that the group were committed to begin what was to be their final Hamburg season just as "Love Me Do" entered the British charts and so were unable to actively promote it on their home soil. Nonetheless, their producer, George Martin, felt it was a promising start and decided to go ahead with a second single.

"Please Please Me" has a diverse history. George Martin has stated that the original version of this song was "rather dreary", was too slow and consequently had little prospect of being the big hit the band were looking for. Martin said, "I was still thinking that we should release their [earlier] recording of 'How Do You Do It?'", a previously taped Mitch Murray composition that Martin insisted the Beatles record which he had seriously considered as an alternative debut single instead of "Love Me Do". The group replied that they were only interested in recording their own material. McCartney said: "It was symptomatic of our group that we turned down 'How Do You Do It?'." Ringo Starr commented: "I remember us all being ready to stand up for the principle of, 'We have written these songs and we want to do them'". George Martin was ultimately sympathetic to their appeals, but said later: " would still have issued "How Do You Do It?" had they not persuaded me to listen to another version of "Please Please Me".

Lennon first conceived "Please Please Me" as a bluesy, slow tempo song. Lennon recalled: "I remember the day I wrote it, I heard Roy Orbison doing 'Only the Lonely', or something. And I was also always intrigued by the words to a Bing Crosby song that went, 'Please lend a little ear to my pleas'. The double use of the word 'please'. So it was a combination of Roy Orbison and Bing Crosby". Originally it was vocally sparse, did not contain any harmonies or responses, nor did it have the scaled harmonica intro.

References: Wikipedia

25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I wonder what the mono single sounds like. Of course, the 1987 CD would remind me.