Technics Overhang Gauge IGD & Arm Lift Height Questions.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Nov 11, 2018.

1. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently bought a new headshell. ( Audio-Technica AT-HS10SV 1/2")
    My old one was to light and resulted in me having to have the counterweight at its max weight to balance the tonearm. Once I changed cartridges and aligned the cartridge with the Stevenson protector I noticed that though my records sound better (more warmth and detail) I still have significant more Inner Groove Distortion. Why is this?

Also, I think my arm lift height is off. I've been messing with it for a while now. Before it was so bad that IGD was insane now I think its back to what it was, but I don't think its perfect. I have read as long as the tonearm is parallel its fine.

I have a Technics Sl-1500 MK1 and Shure V15 Type III cartridge should I buy the Technics Overhang Gauge?

SFK0135-01 52mm Turntable Cartridge Overhang Gauge from turntable needles

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Forum Resident

What stylus is on your Shure? How many hours are on it?

The Technics gauges work for a 52mm overhang but many of them come warped and are unusable. Get an accurate metal ruler or a pair of digital calipers to verify overhang.

The Technics overhang is based on Stevenson, but slightly different. So do not use the protractor and the ruler/gauge method together. Pick one and stick with it.

Stevenson alignment works so that you should get less IGD. However, that's only gonna be true if you did it right, and you have a decent stylus. Some records are cut very aggressively with narrow deadwax and you can't expect a cheap elliptical or conical to do the job. They just can't.

Heckto35 likes this.
  3. AcidPunk15

My alignment was off it was correct than changed I think because my arm lift mechanisms need lubing. Also, my tonearm would touch the armrest because it wasn't high enough. Now I finally fixed the arm lift height. It doesn't touch the tonearm. I think that was the problem. while the IGD isn't what it was it is very close. Thx

patient_ot likes this.
  4. AcidPunk15

So you are saying if the cartridge is aligned properly then the only problem would either be the LP or the stylus. I think I have played 50-100 hours on this stylus the previous owner either did the same or more do you think its time for a replacement it sounds pretty good to me.

VN35E Type Stylus for Shure V15 Type 3 Cartridge | Turntable Needles or VN35HE Type Stylus for Shure V15 Type III Cartridges - our # 764-DHE

Will this suffice or should I get the higher end one $100. is it a huge jump in sound quality. or should I just get a new cartridge? Have you had any experience from turntableneedles.com

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. patient_ot

Unless your tonearm bearings are jacked, then yeah, most likely the record or stylus. What record is it and how narrow is the deadwax? What is your current stylus? Do you know the previous owner and trust them, or is that just what they said? If the latter, all bets are off and you need to replace it.

In terms of what stylus to buy, that depends on your budget and how clean your records are. If you don't have an RCM or at least a Spin Clean I would not recommend a higher end stylus. The cheaper ones won't track inner grooves as well, but running a more expensive one through tons of dirt and grime buried in your grooves is not good either.

No experience with TTN. If I were looking for an aftermarket Shure stylus I'd buy directly from Jico in Japan, that way there is no question about what you are getting.

New cartridge? Depends on budget and what you want. If you really want to try something else, go for it. But I think you'll find that is more expensive than buying a new stylus for the cart you already have.

6. AcidPunk15

My previous owner was some hipster chick who bought 20 LPs and she didn't want to deal with installing a counterweight on a vintage TT. She said she was going to buy a new TT. I believe she wasn't going listen to records anymore. She seemed like a hipster. Who bought a TT to be trendy. She didn't even realize she had an expensive Shure V15 Type III.

I am listening to the Doobie Brothers The Captain and Me BS 2694 (S40, 430) Deadwax is 3S-2694-40430-2 . There is virtually no click pops, or IGD.

My budget for a new Cartridge would be $100-120 when I can afford that.

7. JohnO

JohnO Forum Resident

I have bought from turntableneedles and they are fine in my opinion. I am pretty sure I had a live online chat with someone there who was knowledgeable and correct and explained something to me. At this second I do not see a live chat button on their website. Possibly they make that live chat button visible when they are available to chat.

The Technics gauge they sell is an exact copy, not an original Technics, but it is exact and completely acceptable (and not warped). And, yes, you should have one and use it whether you purchase it there or elsewhere. Even if you try a protractor method, using the gauge first will give you a fast start of using a protractor for finer adjustments - which I doubt would be necessary. Technics did the engineering work and made the simple overhang gauge to work correctly for the vast majority of users.

(I am only a customer of t..n, no other connection.)

One source of Technics info claims there is a difference in the pivot-to-spindle length between the 1200 and 1500, but I have just looked at both service manuals and they specify the same length and the same overhang, and the normal Technics overhang gauge will be fine.

bru87tr and AcidPunk15 like this.
  8. dahoo

dahoo Forum Resident

you won't beat shure v15iii in that price range.

Heckto35 and patient_ot like this.
  9. AcidPunk15

Good To Know. I did some research on Bliss needles. This company makes replacement styli. It is an off brand of JICO. My understanding is that EVG makes styli that is pretty close to JICO. I will just replace the stylus when I have the cash.

10. patient_ot

Where did the stylus come from when she got it? Was it new or an ancient one? The only way to determine wear with accuracy is to have the stylus inspected under a 200X microscope.

11. patient_ot

The problem with "off brand Jico" is that sometimes those are made to a lower standard. Many people have figured this out because their "off brand Jico" don't have a tie wire on styli that should have them and have to be run with zero anti-skate to not mistrack.

You want Jico? Order from Jico in Japan.

EVG is just a brand name or repackager IIRC. At some point they were selling a lot of styli made in Japan and people speculated that they were "off brand Jico". Then they started selling a bunch of cheaper styli made in Switzerland. The Japan stuff is probably old stock. I believe the story is their Japan supplier stopped working with them and all their new stock is Swiss made.

See here: About V-MAE

Concerning magnetic needles, the “EVG Japan” needles will sell out and disappear, and be replaced with “EVG Swiss” or not replaced at all if the Pfanstiehl product is identical. Please do not contact me with whether or not a needle is Japan sourced. Look on the website, read the needle listing. It will be kept meticulously up to date. What it says, is what you will receive. This transition has already started, the 4767-DED has already flipped to EVG Swiss. Some Japan sourced needles might be available for a year or more as V-MAE stocked up where possible. As always, I stand behind every needle sale and any issues will be addressed. Any needles found to be consistent troublemakers will be removed from the website.
    (3/1/2018)

AcidPunk15 and JohnO like this.
  12. AcidPunk15

Thx again as always

patient_ot likes this.