Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Hi Mark,

Can you please explain the difference between the two different DTS mixes ?

Thanks

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley 5.1 should be mandatory for my favourite albums Thread Starter

I believe that one of them has a slightly compromised audio spectrum, for low range range speakers systems.
    I just played the full mix. Although my speakers are small, I have a sub, and my speakers are still full range speakers.

Jaap74 likes this.
  3. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

In the fall of 2015, Burning Shed had a promo: If you preordered the debut Bruce Soord solo album on CD, you could download a 5.1 mix for it as well. I was already a Pineapple Thief fan, so I jumped on it. It's on my list of surround mixes I might review. But I'm not sure I should bother because I don't think it's available. Here is the Discogs listing. But anyway, I like it a lot.

Sooo, four years later his next solo project comes out. Is the 5.1 download free? Nope. Is there a bluray version of the album? Nope. Have to to buy a box set. Am I going to buy it? Nope.

However, I did order the 2112 DVDA for $15. Waiting for All This Will Be Yours bluray

4. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Bruce has done a bit of surround mixing for others and include:

Opeth: Deliverance
    Fire Garden: Far and Near
    Tim Bowness: Stupid Things That Mean The World
    Tim Bowness: Lost In The Ghost Light
    Tesseract: Polaris*
    They Seem Like Owls: Strangers
    Riverside: Love, Fear And The Time Machine*
    Anathema: A Sort Of Homecoming*
    Anathema: The Optimist
    Ghost Community: Ghost Community
    Katatonia: The Great Cold Distance
    Katatonia: The Fall Of Hearts*
    Katatonia: Sanctitude
    Gong: Rejoice! I'm Dead

* Favorites of mine.

ti-triodes and mark winstanley like this.
  5. mark winstanley

Dopey me.. I forgot to do the poll

This weeks choices

Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies

Michael D and Beaneydave like this.
  6. mark winstanley

Chicago V 5.1 and quad

7. mark winstanley

Kraftwerk catalog (album choice on the day)

8. mark winstanley

9. mark winstanley

Rush Snakes and Arrows

10. mark winstanley

Simple minds Once upon a time

highway likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

Coltrane/Santana Illuminations

12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

Yes Tales of topographic oceans

14. mark winstanley

Steve Hackett at the edge of light

weekendtoy, Joe McKee and JakeKlas like this.
  15. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Forum Resident

I forget are we supposed to vote for just one? or two? or? I picked one for now but hard choices :)

16. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

OK I just voted for the 3 I liked

17. mark winstanley

Vote for all of them if you like. I am merely trying to look at the stuff that the majority want to look at.

jeffreybh and Joe McKee like this.
  18. riskylogic

Voting for all of them would be the same as not voting. The best strategy would be to wait until Saturday and then tilt the scales to your preference at the last minute. But if everyone did that it wouldn't work. :winkgrin:

highway and mark winstanley like this.
  19. mark winstanley

It would be fairly unlikely fro everyone to vote for all of them lol
    I was merely stating that there is no restriction on the voting. It is merely an indicator of where the majority want to go on any given week.

20. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

This one.

21. riskylogic

Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination. I used the have the first four Parson Project LPs and maybe one or two others. Pyramid was my first and favorite, with I Robot as a close second. The debut album I considered to also good, but not in the same class as the next two. After I ditched the LPs, I acquired the complete catalog on CD. Tales of Mystery and Imagination grew on me at that point to where I considered the first three as the top three. I didn't realize until picking up the 5.1 release that the first CD release in 1987 had been thoroughly remixed. Who knew that the Orson Welles narration that fits in so wonderfully wasn't there on the original? There are some extra guitar parts too. The surround mix is yet another great improvement. Orson gets the center channel and there's always something different going on in the back. (3/3)

Rush - 2112. I used the have the first four Rush LPs and maybe one or two others. 2112 was the first and my favorite. Is there an echo in here? I didn't really get into the rest of the Rush catalog until the last five years or so. I picked up Snakes and Arrows and loved it, so now I have all the studio albums. I don't consider 2112 to be in the same league as most the latter stuff, but it's still a sentimental favorite. Besides, it seems like a Rush album that would benefit from a surround mix. There are some good moments. The intro swirls a bit, the stream at the beginning of Discovery and Soliloquy is in the back But, by and large it's a front dominated mix - like the two other Rush 5.1s I have. As expected. Oh well, for $15 I got a hirez stereo version and the comic book is cool. (2/2)

22. riskylogic

Weather Systems

[​IMG]

Studio album by Anathema
    Released 16 April 2012
    Genre Progressive pop, post-progressive
    Length 55:44
    Label Kscope
    Producer Christer-André Cederberg. Vincent Cavanagh, Daniel Cavanagh

Weather Systems is the ninth album by the British rock band Anathema. It was released on 16 April 2012 in Europe via Kscope and 24 April 2012 in the US via The End Records. The band describes the album as "not background music for parties. The music is written to deeply move the listener".[4] The album was recorded in Liverpool, North Wales and Oslo, each place significant to Anathema's past, present and future.

Personnel
    • Daniel Cavanagh – lead vocals, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, bass guitars, keyboards, piano
    • Jamie Cavanagh – bass guitars on "The Storm Before the Calm"
    • Vincent Cavanagh – lead vocals, keyboards, programming, electric, acoustic and bass guitars on "The Storm Before the Calm", backing vocals on "Sunlight"
    • John Douglas – drums, keyboards and programming on "The Storm Before the Calm"
    • Lee Douglas – lead and backing vocals
    Guest musicians
    • Petter Carlsen – backing vocals on "Untouchable, Parts 1 and 2"
    • Christer-André Cederberg – bass guitars, Piano on "The Beginning and the End"
    • Joe Geraci – Spoken word on "Internal Landscapes"
    • Wetle Holte – drums on "Untouchable, Part 1" and "The Gathering of the Clouds"
    • Strings – The London Session Orchestra, arranged by Dave Stewart
    Track listing
    All tracks are written by Daniel Cavanagh, except "The Storm Before the Calm" by John Douglas.

No. Title Lead vocals Length
    1. "Untouchable, Part 1" Vincent Cavanagh, Lee Douglas 6:14
    2. "Untouchable, Part 2" V. Cavanagh, L. Douglas 5:33
    3. "The Gathering of the Clouds" V. Cavanagh, L. Douglas 3:27
    4. "Lightning Song" L. Douglas 5:25
    5. "Sunlight" D. Cavanagh 4:55
    6. "The Storm Before the Calm" V. Cavanagh, L. Douglas 9:23
    7. "The Beginning and the End" V. Cavanagh 4:53
    8. "The Lost Child" D. Cavanagh, V. Cavanagh 7:02
    9. "Internal Landscapes" V. Cavanagh, L. Douglas 8:52
    ______
    In the special edition, both discs come in a limited pressed hardcover digibook like their previous albums. The DVD features the album in 5.1 surround sound. But here’s the problem; even though it was originally advertised as a hires DVDA release (like the previous album), it was actually released as a DVD-V with Dolby Digital only (no DTS even) and no hires stereo. KScope eventually “fixed” the problem by putting out a hirez 5.1 flac download. I bought it for £8.33 and no shipping. It was worth it to me - even on my mid-fi system, the sound quality is noticeably better. But the flac download is a little sketchy too – the album comes all in one file.

If you really want the defective original special edition, Amazon lists a new one for $49.99, and used copies are available at prices that aren’t terrible: Discogs But the better strategy would be to get the CD for hardcopy stereo and the download for the 5.1

If that isn’t weird enough, it isn’t entirely clear who did the 5.1 mix. The credits in my digipack just say the mixing was done by Cederburg, but Jakko says the 5.1 was by him. Since the stereo and 5.1 mixes are very different, I’m going to go with:

5.1 mix probably by Jakko Jakszyk
    Bass and Drums in front on all tracks. Strings in surround on most tracks

Untouchable Part 1
    Lead vocal in center and back, percussion, bass, background vocals in front, guitar in surround. Very nice at end, but otherwise a weird mix.

Untouchable Part 2
    Piano in front and guitar, lead vocals (both Daniel and Lee) just in center, strings in surround. Much better

The Gathering Of The Clouds
    Storm in surround, lead guitar and Daniels vocals in center, Lee in front, background vocals in back. Nice

Lightning Song
    Lee lead vocals in center – her background vocals still in back. Guitar in front.

Sunlight
    Synth in back, reverbing lead vocal front to back. and guitar and background vocals in surround, guitar in center at end.

The Storm Before The Calm
    Lots of percussion in back (also in front but different), both Lee and Daniel vocals in center, synth in surround. Second phase: Echoing background vocals front to back, Lee in front, Daniel in center, lead guitar in front. Great surround track

The Beginning And The End
    Piano in front, rhythm guitar in surround, Daniel in center, lead guitar in front, background vocals in back. No strings on this one. Nice mix.

The Lost Child
    Piano in front, Daniel in center, cymbals in surround.

Internal Landscapes
    Synth in surround, narration in center. Guitar in surround, Lee and Daniel alternating in center. Strings in surround towards end, then reverts back to just synth in surround, narration in center. This track is very much like the final track on We’re Here Because We’re Here.
    ____

This is the second of four Anathema albums I plan on covering, and since I am going to run out of multichannel mixes to review way before Mark does, it’s time to do another one. This one is quite like We’re Here Because We’re Here. Since I had already listened to WHBWH probably fifty times before Weather Systems came out, it is my favorite. However, I can well imagine that someone listening to both for the first time would prefer WS. The same is true for the next one, Distant Satellites, which is also well regarded by Anathema fans. All three run in the same emotional vein.

As for the surround mix, I am not familiar with another multichannel mix that is so different from the stereo one. Assuming Jakko did it (which means each of the four Anathema surround releases has a different author), we can conclude that he is not always as conservative as he was with Bruford Feels Good to Me. I did not like the mix for the first track much, but after that it was good to great. The Storm Before the Calm is especially good. Speaking of Bruford, Dave Stewart and the London Session Orchestra are the star of the surround show. It’s the strings that often keep the rear speakers humming.

If you can deal with the flac file, the download is a great deal. If not, then WHBWH or Distant Satellites would be better choices. (2/3)

23. riskylogic

Since Rne didn't register his vote for Tales properly, I voted for him. Seems like a good weekend to listen to it.

albertop and mark winstanley like this.
  24. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

What about the info on Burning Shed's download page: "Produced and mixed by by 5 times Norwegian Grammy nominated Christer-Andre Cederberg"? Is that only the 2.0 mix, or did Cederberg perhaps do the 5.1 also? After all the info is given in connection with the latter.

25. riskylogic

Cederberg did the stereo mix for sure, but the liner notes of the special edition don't say anything specifically about the 5.1. Besides Jakko himself, the discogs listing says Jakko did it. Also, the consensus on QuadrophonicQuad is that since the mixes are so different, someone different must have done the 5.1. The QQ thread also has some advice on how to go about burning a disc from the flac file. I won't bother - I usually play stuff off my hard drive anyway.