Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Stone Temple Pilots - Perdida, February 7th 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theshape, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

"the band seems to have entered an awkward “Jethro Tull phase” on their eighth album, Perdida. Yes, there’s flute. Yes, there’s acoustic guitar and string accompaniments. What’s missing from the formula, though, is witty, cutting lyrics and well, some excitement.

But for now, they sound like half the band they used to be."

Stone Temple Pilots Unplug and Lose Their Identity on New Album, 'Perdida'

ouch

mattright likes this.
  2. Kym

Kym Senior Member

Just listened to this album for the first time all the way through, and I'm already playing "She's My Queen" for a fourth time. It's definitely my favorite, flute and all. :D

3. Kym

Kym Senior Member

Sadly, it looks like Perdida has not charted at all on the Billboard Top 200 album chart. Double ouch.

I'm sure the cancellation of their acoustic tour promoting the album due to Jeff Gutt's herniated disc did not do them any favors.

4. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

My only critique is the outro to Sunburst sounds so much like "Cadence and Cascade" by King Crimson it stopped me in my tracks. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this album a lot.

5. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Miles Away is very similar to Boat on the River.

6. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Forum Resident

Just as I did their last album, I’m loving Perdida. Personally, as much as I like the harder rocking aspect of the band’s music, what I always loved was when they would do a more laid back acoustic tune, or one that was Samba or Lounge influenced, because they did them so incredibly well. To get a whole album of stuff like that is just heaven for me. This album is like a love letter to the 1970’s Laurel Canyon music scene, with little bits of the more folky and acoustic sides of early Led Zeppelin and King Crimson thrown in for good measure. The tunes and performances are excellent, and Jeff Gutt is great here. Sure his lyrics may seem vanilla compared to Scott Weiland, but they also aren’t all inspired or referenced by drugs, either.

I don’t know what it’ll do for the band, and I doubt it’s going to win them many new fans, but I’m sure glad they made it. Haters can hate, and that’s all on you if you do. I’ll happily take an appreciate it. Hoping they will get around to doing an intimate tour for it, though.

7. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Forum Resident

I picked my copy up at my local indie store, but I didn’t even see it on the shelves of many other brick & mortar retailers who carry music. Best Buy doesn’t stock CDs anymore, and neither Target nor Walmart had any copies on hand, either, so that certainly isn’t helping them.

8. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

This album isn't bad. I personally don't have a problem with Gutt. I think he is doing a good job. I would have liked to see a really hard rock album before this though. The self titled with Gutt was pretty good and I think establishing more of that with him before doing this album would have been better. I think if they wanted to go an all acoustic route this time a live album with these tunes would have been better. But that's just me. I look forward to the next electric album.

etherealdog, Hep Alien and Rocketdog like this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Finally got to this...it's a very good album. Hints of Led Zep, Heart and even some Rolling Stones.

etherealdog and theshape like this.
  10. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Forum Resident

I was reminded of this while listening to the new album, as it’s in a bit of the same vibe. If you’ve never seen it, it was included on the DVD of the Deluxe Edition of the Thank You compilation. In 2001, Glen Campbell’s son Cal, who toured with him as part of his band later in life, introduced his dad to the music of Stone a Temple Pilots. Scott Weiland, had produced some tracks for the younger Campbell’s rock band, and STP’s bassist and songwriter Robert DeLeo was a longtime fan of Campbell’s. After one of Campbell’s L.A. shows, the group met him backstage. The mutual admiration led to Campbell inviting DeLeo and his fellow bandmates, his guitarist brother Dean and drummer Eric Kretz, to record versions of some of Campbell’s classic tunes. They also worked on additional new material for Campbell and the band to record together, but by all accounts their version of “Wichita Lineman” was the sole collaboration that was complete. Great version of the song, too.

11. theshape

theshape Forum Resident Thread Starter

Received the signed lithograph that was accidentally left out of the package when the LP originally shipped. Pretty nice!

12. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

when i got mine, the lithograph was wrapped up in the same paper they had used to fill up the dead space in the package....had i not checked more carefully, it would have gotten thrown out. They should have taken better care and made it a bit more known that it was in there. It could have easily gotten ripped or mangled from people opening up their packages.

theshape likes this.
  13. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Forum Resident

A heads up, I'm putting together a Stone Temple Pilots album by album thread that will include the side projects as well. I'll start it on Monday. Most of the music from the 90's and beyond doesn't always get a lot of focus, and I have time on my hands. I'm sure there aren't a lot of us STP fans, so I hope to see you guys there. Something to take our minds off the madness.

14. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Forum Resident

15. etherealdog

etherealdog Forum Resident

I really really dig this album. 100x improvement over the last s/t one especially. It's fantastically recorded and has an enormously chill vibe throughout. Well done, STP.

16. etherealdog

As a matter of fact I really agree with the above poster's comment that this sounds like it could have naturally happened between Purple and Tiny Music (or to me around Talk Show 1997-1998 ish right after Tiny Music.)
    I rate this album pretty high in their catalog and while I am not feeling at liberty to place that order of merit, I would say it's at least better than the last 2 self titled records and also Shangri-la Dee Da....

17. FloydMaui

FloydMaui good kitty

So, I did buy Perdida ..... and then sat on it for months until about 2 weeks ago ....
    Now that I've spun it maybe nine times I can say that I really do like this album a lot :righton: .... but that's really no surprise because the DeLeo Brothers (and Eric) have never actually disappointed me. Every thing they've done has won me over in the end. I admire them a lot.
    It is constantly kinda eerie though how much Jeff Gutt sounds like Weiland .... Over and over again I have momentarily forgotten that it's the new guy I'm hearing....
    The album is a "grower" ..... and it really pushes my melancholy button.
    I don't scrutinize the lyrics, probably best not to.... And I've got no issues with the flute either ....
    Interesting to hear Robert take a lead vocal too.

Wish I could see them !

bummer about Gutt's medical problem and the cancelled tour .... but then covid happened and cancelled everything anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. etherealdog

It's without a doubt better than the last 2 self titled albums by far. I would as well place it above Shangri-la Dee Da. Those last 3 are quite disjointed and uneven and so not much to judge against though I prefer the 2010 s/t peace fingers ✌️ release over the self titled Jeff Gutt led butterfly cover one if had to choose. Perdida though is a triumph and a much welcomed surprise.

miller_time22 likes this.
  19. The Gomper

The Gomper In Another Land

Shangri-la Dee Da is my favorite STP of all.

20. etherealdog

I won't ever attempt to bend or subjugate one's personal tastes. I know they were firing on all cylinders when they made that album and there was a lot of inspiration in the STP camp at the time with talk of a double album, Scott's prolific output and a behind the scenes documentary film. I have my criticism of it but it's not worth mentioning. Your opinion is yours and as worthwhile as any other's on the subject.

realkilroy, gritty and The Gomper like this.
  21. The Gomper

The Gomper In Another Land

Fair.

22. Boomy

Boomy Forum Resident

That was when Scott had the long hair and full-grown beard, right?

23. etherealdog

[​IMG]
    Yeah, circa 2000.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Boomy

Boomy Forum Resident

Shoot, I thought his hair was longer at one point. On the "Hello, It's Late" footage, maybe (?)