Stone Temple Pilots - Perdida, February 7th 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theshape, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Or how about..

You'll see the lies you'll eat the lies..

Or

One time a thing occurred to me what's real and what's for sale?

Or .....do we know how the story really goes or do we all just hum along?

Pretty awesome to me and millions of others.

The new album has the worst lyrics this side of rap.

2. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Wow. Did I hurt your feelings Mr. Gutt? It was just my opinion. Plus, you're taking Weiland's lyrics lierally without diving below the surface. There's also his delivery of said lyrics, and the melodies he came up with.

TheMovieRad and Matisse like this.
  3. jwoverho

jwoverho Senior Member

I’m enjoying the album a lot. Plenty of atmosphere with the acoustic arrangements.
    I’ll get behind any of the DeLeo brothers work. Super talented guys.

4. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

As usual, I like an album then come here and read all the whining about it. I think their first two albums post Scott are pretty good, and I really like this album. A different vibe than their others. They are in their 50s...an acoustic album makes sense for them. Jeff Gutt has done a nice job this far. Way better than I expected.

5. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I've been listening to the new album over the weekend.

In fairness I can get why Stone Temple Pilots fans might not enjoy this album, but holy crap its a really great album. I love the instrumentation, the wind instruments, the backing vocals. The whole thing is fab.

6. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Who is Jeff Gutt?

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

FloydMaui and Hep Alien like this.
  8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yes, I know he is the new singer.
    Where did he come from?
    The new music is terrible.

Lownote30 likes this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Forum Resident

Jeff Gutt - Wikipedia

Previously fronted some nu-metal band and was on a TV show called The X-Factor. I'd never heard of him before he joining STP. I completely disagree on your assessment of the music, but if you mean the new acoustic album and only like the harder rock sound of STP, you might check out the first album he recorded with the band from 2018. I think he's doing great with them. When a charismatic front man for a band that has been around 20 years dies, that veteran band has few good options. I think they have the right guy to make new music with and do justice to the classics.

10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Been enjoying this this weekend :righton:
    [​IMG]
    Stone Temple Pilots - Perdida
    With insert

11. laether

laether Forum Resident

On s/t jeff is a better fit when theyre rockin out man. But on Perdida lack of Scott makes me cry. His melodies would most definitely save this now below mediocre album.

Lownote30 likes this.
  12. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

gotta say, there's 2 songs in the middle somewhere that really threw me off with the amount of woodwinds....
    to the point of overkill and they just ruined the song for me. a little is okay and fine, but that was far excessive use in a few songs, that
    really kind of ruined the album for me, and i have LOVED every single thing they've ever done. i'll need to really listen to this album a
    bit more.

Would be nice if the band's distribution company would ship out the pre orders too....would like to get my Vinyl and signed poster.
    Pretty pathetic that it hasn't even shipped out and i have yet to hear back from their customer service since i messaged them last
    Thursday....

13. theshape

theshape Forum Resident Thread Starter

I noticed on my shipping notification that DHL was involved. So, see you in a month... Lol.

14. MechanicalAnimal6

hey at least you got a notification...i still got nothing on my order from their own merch company....the band is unprofessional is so many ways....yet i stay a fan...

i'll get the japanese import before i get the vinyl from the bands own store....that's sad....

15. theshape

It is sad. My notification may as well had not even come, once I saw DHL was involved. Lol. I'd probably be angry if I wasn't able to listen to it elsewhere until my copy arrives. :righton:

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  16. Five Star Edge

Five Star Edge Forum Resident

the acoustic bonus tracks were first released on the live 2018 RSD album.

17. Five Star Edge

Five Star Edge Forum Resident

Anyone notice that track six (she’s my queen) is missing on the back of the album?

miller_time22 likes this.
  18. miller_time22

miller_time22 Forum Resident

Yes, couldn’t figure out what the deal was. Ended up wondering if my copy had an error but certainly seems to be intentional.

19. MechanicalAnimal6

here's a quick little thing i did while listening to the album just now....just some little notes i made while listening to it....figured i'd post it here maybe

Fare Thee Well - Great opening track. Sets the mood nicely and is just a good all around ballad.

Three Wishes - I am immediately taken back to the "Tiny Music" era of the band. This is a standout and superb track!!!

Perdida - Another nice somber tune. I dig it. I could easily see this being on almost any of their previous albums and fitting in.

I Didn't Know The Time - Start of the song is great! Really digging this one.....then the flute comes in....it's okay for a few seconds,
    and that's really all how long the solo should have been. seems about twice too long for me. Doesn't totally
    ruin the song, but i'm not a huge fan of the ending of this song due to this.

Years - Very cool to hear Robert sing !! I am intrigued in this song just because of that fact alone. His voice is different and interesting to hear.
    I like the tune, but not one of my favorites on the album, but it's not the worst song on the album either. It's just......good. Then.....
    Saxophone......? Did a Kenny G song just come on? What's going on here? Is this still STP??? Yeah....???? Okay....Another song that would
    be much better with a different ending.

She's My Queen - Starts out great...digging this. Definitely different and not something i'd expect from the band with the backup vocals.
    It also does sound a bit like something they could have done in the past. This might fit on Shangri La De Da.
    And...........more Flute.........could really do without this overly long Flute rubbish again. What is this, Jethro Tull? NO!
    Get rid of the flute and this would be one of my favorites on the album probably.

Miles Away - Cool song! Not a huge fan of the strings in it, but it's a decent tune. I could easily imagine Scott sitting in a chair singing this tune
    during their Unplugged performance or something. Nice little tune.

You Found Yourself While Losing Your Heard - Love the chorus to this song. The whole thing is great! This should be a hit.
    Really like Dean's solo and his overall playing in this track.

I Once Sat At Your Table - Lovely acoustic track. I almost wish there was more songs like this in their albums. Or if Dean would do a whole
    solo album with stuff like this, that would be great!! Love this tune !

Sunburst - Couldn't ask for a better album closer. Such a nice sound to it. Another track i could easily hear on almost any of their other
    albums. Jeff does such an amazing job on this album. The whole band does really. This song is so good!!

Overall, i'd give this album an 7.5/10. Get rid of the flute and saxophone stuff and i'd give it a 9.5/10 probably. Almost wish i could edit out the few parts
    i wasn't too fond of. I am glad they made this album and that it exists, but i hope the next album will be more like the one before it still. I love their slower, acoustic type stuff, but also love the rockin' stuff. A nice balance of both (like on most of their albums) is how i prefer to get STP albums, but at this point, i'll take whatever i can get from them !!

20. MechanicalAnimal6

did not know that....just waiting for my copy to arrive. wish they'd release the whole thing on cd!!

21. theshape

While listening to this song in the car, I thought to myself, "this one sounds like something that might have happened between Purple and Tiny Music! :righton:

22. MechanicalAnimal6

nice!! cool that you had the same notion about that song!

etherealdog and theshape like this.
  23. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I think the flute and sax add to it. Robert DeLeo's vocals sound like a raspy Todd Nichols (from Toad the Wet Sprocket).

24. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

As soon as I heard Years I thought it sounded like this vocal performance a bit.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. MechanicalAnimal6

the japanese version arrived in the mail last night, along with the vinyl and autographed lithograph....very cool !!