Stone Temple Pilots - Perdida, February 7th 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theshape, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Is stellar. Period!

2. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

You couldn't be more correct!!
    I love the 2 bonus tracks that was on the Best Buy exclusive version back when it came out.
    I can't imagine the album without those 2 bonus songs. Great stuff !!

Hep Alien and Curveboy like this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Forum Resident

Listening to the hi-rez (48khz/24bit) release and I really like the songs. I do think its a shame that even with an album of gentle acoustic songs, they STILL can't help obviously compressing the dynamics down. DR7 for this kind of music?

The e-mail from HDTracks about this album says "This album was recorded with vintage instruments, acoustic guitars, violins and zithers in 24-bit audio. An audiophile gem." It probably could be.

But the songs and performances are excellent.

George P and miller_time22 like this.
  4. laether

laether Forum Resident

Oh no no...Jeff is the best fit sounding and acting weiland they can ever get. But thats the main problem here. With Weiland things were always fresh, interesting and bit edgy. With Gutt theyre just trying to hang in there. You just cant comapre lets say Atlanta to Perdida (title track). Atlanta is light years ahead. And again im happy Deleos found suitable scott-impersonator but musically the end is with their s/t in 2010.

Lownote30 and Further like this.
  5. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

That album art work is pretty low effort

Crimson jon likes this.
  6. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I came to the STP party very late and I find it interesting that you used the word "impersonator", as I myself struggled with Weiland as a singer/front-man for that very reason, as I thought he too often was simply that....an impersonator of his influences - and I found that very difficult to get past that. It prevented me from investing in the band. Maybe I have the fortunate position of not having emotional attachment, but forget it being a great STP album, I thought the last album with Jeff was a great effort full stop, and I highly doubt if Weiland was still alive that they (he) would have achieved anything better.

I for one can't wait for Perdida to arrive today.

PS:- I would have loved to see where it could have gone had Joss Stone joined STP - her version of Intersate Love Song is fab.

D.B. likes this.
  7. Rawkdude

Rawkdude Forum Resident

Checking out on Tidal HI FI like what I hear so far. It's too bad tour got postponed due to singer needing surgery.

8. laether

laether Forum Resident

Understand what you mean! But i got into stp in 1993 and been following them since so always dug weiland and was interested in everything he was doing at any given time.

D.B. likes this.
  9. laether

laether Forum Resident

Just gave a spin to the remainder of perdida tracks which came out today...

And its unbelievably uninteresting and boring and sadly wont get stp anywhere (further). They should stay as greatest hits act in memory of Scott Weiland.

Hate that flute.
    And how friggin awesome Vasoline sounded after thise tracks coming in random

Lownote30 likes this.
  10. Thievius

Thievius This is my sweet custom title, yo

New music I actually like...?

[​IMG]

Curveboy likes this.
  11. Matisse

Matisse Forum Resident

Perdida is pleasant enough, I guess. Nothing really grabbed me on first listen. Jeff Gutt’s singing sounds good but I kind of hoped he would develop a stronger personality this time around, after finding his marks on the last album - which was very good imo. It’s all a little too safe, lyrics are ok but not particularly inspired and he never really challenges the listener (like Scott often did, yes). I don’t know, maybe the laid-back acoustic approach isn’t ideal for a more passionate delivery. Most of the songs would work perfectly as the typical alone-at-sunset, meditative ballad closing a rock album. Maybe it will grow on me.

anthontherun likes this.
  12. theshape

theshape Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is that Robert singing lead on "Years"?? Doesn't sound like Jeff to me... I don't have my LP copy yet, listening on amazon and can't seem to find any credits online.

13. theshape

"You Found Yourself While Losing Your Heart" is a fast favorite upon first listen! So far, I've enjoyed each song from this album. :righton:

BA Baracus and miller_time22 like this.
  14. Five Star Edge

Five Star Edge Forum Resident

yep, his first lead vocal I believe

15. theshape

Nice.

etherealdog likes this.
  16. miller_time22

miller_time22 Forum Resident

Two listens in and you’re reading my mind theshape. Was almost positive it wasnt Jeff on that track but couldn’t determine for sure. Also, YFYWLYH is an excellent song and might be my favorite on the disc as well despite its cumbersome title. Overall, I think the DeLeo bros are basically incapable of making something that I don’t find at least somewhat rewarding musically. Jeff is in good voice here and I’ve kinda accepted the fact that he is likely never going to have that extra special charisma that Weiland had, but in exchange will provide less volatility and chaos within the band. Which hopefully will mean more consistent recording and touring from the group. A very well done album all in all. Looking forward to more listens.

17. MechanicalAnimal6

if they wouldn't have gotten a "Scott impersonator" some of you people would still be whining....

fickle fans will ALWAYS whine and complain about so much from the bands they "love"

Rocketdog, Stormrider77, ARK and 3 others like this.
  18. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

This new singer is like a Walmart version of Weiland's gucci...
    Other than Morrison on Atlanta from no 4, who exactly does he impersonate on the albums core and purple?

19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

LOL.....I think that you already use the term "other than" to try and negate one example and the limit my choice of other examples to a very small part of his career means you know what I am saying is correct.

I'm not bashing Scott. He was what he was. But similarly you cannot put the same target on Jeff's back, when his predecessor is equally guilty.

Perdido is beautiful album by the way. Stunning performances by all. It sounds simply like a great album and I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

20. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Going to have to pick this one on vinyl. Hopefully the acoustic nature of the album lends itself nicely to the format.

Kiss73 and MechanicalAnimal6 like this.
  21. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It rips of My Favorite Things. That always bothered me. Not a bad song otherwise.

22. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

you can't lose something you never had

23. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Touring with.........................Nickelback????

ewww

WilliamWes and Crimson jon like this.
  24. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I would say that instrumentally, the first album with Gutt sounds like STP, but his lyrics are cringe-worthy, man.

anthontherun and Crimson jon like this.
  25. MechanicalAnimal6

yeah.....cause Scott was such a master with words himself....

"Lovely disguise
    Read between the lines
    You rock the magic plane with no abbreviation
    Three
    Four
    You sell what you bought
    And there ain't no magic pen
    To get back what you lost

I like it when we talk about love
    I like it when you talk about love
    You always were my favorite drug
    Even when we used to take drugs

Even when we used to take

Penguins don't fly
    Crocodile Sunday smile
    Really love to fish
    But don't like superficial people
    Shoe store
    Heard it all before
    From pearly whites to pearly gates
    What do we have to argue 'bout?"

or how about

"And I feel, and I feel
    When the dogs begin to smell her
    Will she smell alone?"

and the lyrics to Cinnamon is beyond bland....and repetitive!

Scott has plenty of cringe-worthy lyrics too. And if you can't listen to music and get past lyrics (that really aren't that band on that last album)
    then that's your loss and on you for being so fickle.

I mean you can listen to the songs i listed just fine but no.....that last album.....it has some terrible lyrics.....they're just oh so bad......
    right............

Rocketdog and Curveboy like this.