Stirling's LS3/5A speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wes, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wes

wes Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Stirlings finally arrived, and man.........They're incredible......they kind of have a magnepan flavor....Just wide open sound stage.....A tantalizing midrange, and the bass is better than I tought it would be. I don't think they need a sub. They're very well balanced...........

The biggest improvement is in the mids and soundstage. Female vocals just flow. In fact, everything flows like water......

It may take a couple of months for these to break in fully, but they just blew me away when I first plugged em in.

There's a website that's dedicated to these little puppies.

Lots of good information.

www.ls35a.com/

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Mastering Engineer Your Host

They are good little speakers, aren't they?

Invented so the BBC could have a "good for voice" portable monitor for remote radio broadcasts.

How much are those little suckers?

:)

3. wes

:D Those little guys range from 750 to 800$ new from Stirling broadcast depending on the veneer.
    Or,
    you could find a pair off of ebay, or the web classifieds used. I know that your a frequent Ebayer.......

Look for names like Rogers, or Chartwell. I'll bet you can find a used pair between 500 and 800 $

Another monitor that's supposedly similar is the Harbeth HL-P3ES-2, or the Spendor S-3/5.

The Harbeth will set ya back more. It goes for well over a grand.

I decided to get the Stirlings because they have licence to the original BBC LS3's, and I wanted a fresh pair ;) .

Which ever way you swing it, Stirlings, Rogers, Chartwell, Harbeth or anything similar, I'm sure you'll be happy with em.

I've read posts from audioasylum, audioreview etc. and I've only heard good things on all the above............

I was slightly worried that the bass was going to be too thin, but I'm happy with the bass. They have a great balance with everything else.

I played your Joni Mitchell Blue album and the vocals sound more natural than the Advents. The vocals would harden at the higher frequencies, whereas the Stirlings seemed effortless.

For me it was a revelation..................

-Wes

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

You're tempting me!!!! :eek:

5. wes

LOL!!!:D :D :D

6. Richard

Richard New Member

Guys:

Glad to hear about the Stirlings! Was wondering whether they had really pulled off a great 3/5a. Had a pair of the original Rogers a long time ago - wish I had kept them - everything Wes says about the LS 3/5a is true, although I think they varied a bit between manufacturers over the years.

There is a very informative and interesting website (Wes, you probably know it well)- www.ls35a.com that I ran across a couple of weeks ago, lot of good stuff on it including much info on Stirling.

Steve - these little buggers are as good (or better) in their own way as the AR 3A's were in their own, different, way. Simply fabulous small monitors - lot less fragile too!

Richard

7. Wes,

I have a pair of Linn Tucans and I am thinking of replacing them with either a Dynaudio Audience 42 or an Audience 52. Did you compare the Stirlings to Dynaudio?

John

8. wes

Hi Johnny, unfortunately I haven't heard any dynaudio stuff.

I've heard good things about em............those Dynaudio audience 52's are probably the same size as my Stirlings.

I don't live very close to any hi-end dealerships, so I still need to do some more toe dipping. The closest dealership is about an hour and a half away from me, and they sell mostly overpriced Mark Levinson(which I don't care for) and B&W equipment. But whenever I'm in a bigger city like New York or something. I make the rounds as much as possible.........

-Wes

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Howdy, I have a pair of Dynaudio MDY-4 speakers built from kits via Madisound Speakers www.madisound.com They are power hogs (my Dyncao St-150 at 75 watts per channel poops out when it's time for Van Halen from DCC and I gotta hear Ice Cream Man at 12 on the Richter scale), but man oh Manischewitz (Sp.???) do they have revealing mids! They are killer for voice, male or female - Roy Orbison ala DCC makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Never had the pleasure of auditioning the LS3/5's, but they were voiced with voice in mind - if you get the urge to kick out the jams the Dynaudio's I have can take all the abuse you can dish them (6 1/2" bass/mids with 3" voice coils and huge power handling capability). If you just like to kick back and listen at sane levels the Brit boxes are probably a better choice.

Hey Steve - you gotta be kidding - speakers the size of shoeboxes for the man of Tannoy persuasion??? The sensitivity of those boys puts them in quiet man's land or using them as kingsized headphones - Inertia's gotta be pegged (that warning about killer bass on the cover is no joke!!!) What's the angle for these mighty mini boxes???

10. Steve Hoffman

All types of speakers for all types of moods, Mono Mike.

;)

11. wes

These little puppies are about as accurate as a set of speakers will get. I will guarantee you that...

They just don't reveal the deepest bass......but what you do get is tight accurate bass...just not as deep as a speaker like maybe Steve's Tannoys......

-Wes

12. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

Stirling LS3/5A

Hi Wes,
    Great news you finally received the Stirlings - they will DEFINITELY sound better with 200 hrs on them and even better at 400. Enjoy your great little speaker - it's a gem.

Jim Ricketts

13. Steve Hoffman

Me want pair too!:(

14. wes

Hi Jim, yep I love those little things....

Tell me...which part of the sound will improve the most after the breakin period?

That's exciting news!!!!

:D

-Wes

15. Jim Ricketts

Wes,
    I found the Stirling sourced B110 drivers need a solid 200 hrs for the suspension to loosen. You will hear a much faster, clearer and more detailed sound. Your xover caps and wiring also will undergo changes during this burn-in time and will also improve sonics with a more open sound. I recall you mentioned you have a Dynaco tube amp? The LS3/5A loves tubes. Also, be sure to find a nice pair of stands - generally speaking, light and rigid will keep you on the right track. Give us reports as your pups break-in.

Jim Ricketts

16. wes

I just recieved my new stands a few days ago. They're pretty nice.... 30 inch Contours, and some Transparent speaker cables.:)

-Wes

17. Jim Ricketts

Wes,
    I'm not familar with those stands - can you describe or provide a website with info? Thanks! Also, any reason to get 30" height?

18. wes

Hi Jim,

I bought em in Salt Lake. A place called Audition Systems sells em. I don't have the packaging and I tried to search for their website........no luck....I don't have a whole lot of experience with speaker stands.... They look nice....they've got cone points on the bottom to reduce vibration.....

I picked the 30 inch one's because that was the tallest they had......... (don't know if I did the right thing)

Audition Systems kinda does half audio half home theatre. They don't have a whole lotta variety to choose from......

Mostly Mark Levinson amps, which in my opinion are way too over priced, and they've got B&W speakers and some other brands as well.

Their website is: www.auditionsystems.com

-Wes

19. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Hey wes, how are those new speakers doing? Any further comments?

I was wondering what kind of musc do you listen to, and how much power are you using to drive them?

I saw some comments that the LS 3/5A is incapable of high volume levels, and are therefore not optimal for full orchestral pieces. Can you comment on that? Are they adequate for the occassional max volume listening sessions with stuff like Rush or Pink Floyd?

Thanks.

20. wes

Hi Pigmode.....

Man..................I'm hooked.. I can just listen for hours.....I've never heard vocals sound so convincing before......

Do they get loud enough???? For me they do....and I'm one of Pink Floyd's biggest fans........In fact I listened to Meddle and Dark Side today.........They get plenty loud......I just recently rearranged my system.....I have most of my components in the computer room...with interconnects going through an air vent in the wall linking my Dynaco Mark III tube amps (60W per channel) in our bedroom connected to my LS35A's..... The room dimension is 15 X 20......Not the biggest room...but the speakers fill the room very easy without strain........It's not going to fill a whole house.....They're mainly designed for smaller spaces..

The bass range is better than what I thought it would be... For me, it's well balanced from top to bottom....There's no need for a subwoofer......There's enough bass that you'll need to move the speakers a couple of feet from the back wall....

Anyway, go to the website that I put up.........Some good info.

www.ls35a.com

-Wes

21. Jim Ricketts

Wes,
    Another area that improves noticeably after break-in is the dynamics - the speakers will play louder with a greater sense of ease. All in due time, of course!

22. wes

Hi Jim
    That's cool! I've probably put about 50-60 hours worth of listening so far. I think that I can hear a smidgen more detail than when I first plugged em in.

Oh, in my last post I didn't mean that I put the LS35a up. I meant that I've posted it before on other threads........

-Wes

23. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Jim,
    do you think 25w per channel will be able to drive the LS 3/5A to its full dynamic potential? I believe Stirling rates 25w at the bottom of its range. I had always believed in having a nice overhead but would like some other opinions. Is biwiring a viable option?

This would be for a small room of 10x11 or 10x16.

24. wes

If it's a 25w tube amp it should be okay......

I've heard for some reason that solid state amps rating that low might not be enough. I also heard that when a solid state amp "clips" it can damage the tweeters. I don't know how accurate these statements are though.....

Hey, I don't know if you read this from Ls3 site, but, supposedly the speakers will make a loud cracking noise when driven too hard...It usually won't damage the speakers...Because it scares the hell out of the listener, so they run to turn it down immediately....

I've never had this happen ......

-Wes

25. wes

Turning on/off equipment...Should there be an order?

I have a question for someone out there......I've been told that when turning on/off the amps/preamps...It's supposed to be in an order.

Like, turn on the Preamp first, then power amp....

Then when turning it off. It's the power amps that go off first, then preamp...

Does anyone know why? What kind of damage can occur it I reverse the order?
    Anyone want to comment?

-Wes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.