Speakers on concrete floor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael Petrillo, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Michael Petrillo

Michael Petrillo New Member Thread Starter

I have a finished basement with polished concrete floors. I have my B&W 703S2 speakers with the the rubber feet sitting directly on the concrete. Is this a suitable option or should I consider something else possibly including using the metal spikes.

2. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Spike 'em! A concrete slab has mass and is virtually immune to vibrations. Couple the speakers and the other gear to the slab and enjoy.

BrentB, bluesaddict, jusbe and 2 others like this.
  3. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

That's an awesome situation.

jonwoody and jusbe like this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

My 704S2s are also on concrete, which is under carpet. I get the best sound using the stock spikes.

5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I’ve got spikes in the included floor protectors on polished concrete.

[​IMG]

jusbe likes this.
  6. Michael Petrillo

Michael Petrillo New Member Thread Starter

So am I best removing the rubber feet and replacing them with the metal spikes then placing directly on concrete or back on top of rubber as above pic?

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Your ears will tell you which sounds better, but I would first try with spikes directly on the floor. Play some music you know well before changing, then play it again after. Something with a good amount of bass, something mastered well.

Make sure the speaker is sturdy and doesn't wobble on the spikes too. In my case, I had to put my body weight on top and wiggle a bit to get the 4 spikes to sit evenly.

8. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

I say spike them. I have mine spiked on a concrete floor and feel that the spikes provide the best sound.

jusbe and George P like this.
  9. mibrighton

mibrighton Forum Resident

PMC MB2se on solid concrete floor.... did away with the supplied spiked feet and replaced with Townshend Podiums. Very big improvement all round.

Think concrete is immune to vibrations , well see here

10. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Could try some Isoacoustics Gaia too.

aorecords and lonelysea like this.
  11. timind

timind phorum rezident

Try both ways. And like as @George P said, play some music with solid bass that you know well. I preferred supplied spikes over GAIA footers.

12. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Like everything else in audio it’s subjective and system/space dependent. I used stock spikes (with and without Herbie’s gliders) on a finished concrete floor with my B&W 802 Matrix speakers and the bass all but disappeared. Sounded much better with sorbothane hemispheres and better still with Isoacoustic GAIAs.

13. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Well, it's all a matter of opinion. Mine is, I wouldn't spike them. Rubber feet give all the stability needed on a concrete floor. Moreover, they won't damage the floor like spikes can, and they are a lot easier to deal with when you're moving the speakers around.

Spikes on protector discs seem the worst choice. Any vibration will cause the discs to slide on the floor. Spikes without discs? Won't they scratch your beautiful floor? Rubber will absorb some vibration and keep the speakers in one spot. I suppose expensive isomer-based vibration absorption feet are not out of the running (though they are at my house).

Are you really convinced you will hear the difference, anyway? To me, it's always been so minor, I can never be sure what I'm hearing.

Clonesteak likes this.
  14. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

That's not a rubber. You can use coins if that doesn't bother you, but those are metal. Sound anchor calls them cone coasters. Others call them something else. They are often included with spike kits. You can buy them from Amazon if you search on Speaker Shock Base Pad. The idea is to couple the speaker to floor. The floor will disperse the energy to the rest of the floor. The floor being massive will just absorb the energy. The depiction below include felt pads, you can chose to adhere them or not. This would be at your discretion. If you move the speakers for cleaning, the felt pads will keep mars off a finished surface but will decrease the effectiveness of the coupling. For speakers, I recommend using only 3 spikes if that's sufficient to carry the load of your speakers. 4 points don't make a plane, 3 do. So there's no issue with rocking if only 3 are used. If you've carpeted over the concrete, don't use these, just push the spikes through the padding below the carpeting until it's hit the concrete.
    [​IMG]

15. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Speakers on a concrete floor is the best from my experience. Rubber feet should be just fine. I have my speakers on spikes but it is carpeting on top of concrete. If no carpet I would just use rubber feet. The biggest question does it sound good? Try spikes and if better than use whatever you want but you should be fine with rubber feet.

16. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

17. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

I have polished concrete floors in my music room with a thick rug between the LP and the speakers. The speakers are currently on the bare concrete.

Do you think it would be any better to place them on the rug (with spikes), or is it best to leave them on the bare concrete?

18. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Gibsonian and Mike-48 like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

What is under the speakers now?

20. macster

macster Forum Resident

Same here.

M~

21. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I would be inclined to keep them on the concrete, as a level and stable surface, and use resilient footers, either rubber feet if they came with the speakers or something from a specialized manufacturer. I found inexpensive ones a while ago, but I can't locate the manufacturer's link now. They appeared to be the same as the footers sold as "Iso Feet" by Butcher Block Acoustics. The site had a much wider variety of sizes, weight capacities, threads, etc, than BBA carries.

As with many things in audio, opinions vary on best approach. I'd rather have cabinet vibrations dissipated by feet than isolated to the speaker cabinet by rigid coupling to a rigid floor. As always, it's up to the listener.

P.S. Found it! McMaster-Carr

22. At least with concrete the results are rather predictable compared to something like hardwood which requires more counter measures in many cases.

macster likes this.
  23. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

Right now they are directly on the bare concrete. They have rubber over the spikes.

Alternatively I could take off the rubber and use the spikes into the rug. I just wasn’t sure if it ideal to have the speakers with the rug between them and the concrete, or just having the speakers directly on the bare concrete.

24. fortherecord

fortherecord Forum Resident

Why would spikes be needed on a concrete floor at all? Rubber feet or sliders should work, I would think, to protect the floor or the speaker cabinet from being damaged.

25. Perhaps mitigation of airborne influences.

macster and fortherecord like this.