Speaker upgrape

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ingenieur, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Yes, but they have a 8" woofer and are the next evolution of the RS silver drivers ... I initially thought in the RX6, but in a small room the RX2 have nothing to envy to the RX6. Surely in a medium room the Silver tower can have more presence.

In the same small room I didn't think about the R5 ... The R3 have a bigger cabinet and more bass than the RX2 8" woofer.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

That video shows clearly the difference between the R3 and the LS50. The bass and presence is notably better.

(I don't know the language, maybe russian, but we hear the video for the music :D)

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

I wondered myself how long this was going to go before somebody posted something like:
    [​IMG]

Aftermath, DigMyGroove and Ingenieur like this.
  4. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Forum Resident

AFAIK, I never listened to the Silver 8s (in CT) with a McIntosh amp (in NYC) but I do like the idea of feeding them with a clean, powerful amp. I originally used them with a Bryston 9B but that was recently replaced with a NAD M28. FWIW, the Silver 300s were only incrementally different from the 8s and I didn't see enough reason to make that change.
    Worthy of consideration.

Rick58 likes this.
  5. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

Understandable really? Recently a big publication gave a less than stellar review for Yamaha’s big integrated amp and its signature sound, and even heads here exploded. It’s publisher suicide to admit your not impressed, or even dislike a piece of equipment.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  6. allied333

allied333 TUBE AMPLIFIER REBUILDER - inquire

BTW- the Revel M22 on ebay sold, of course. I doubt original poster here took advice and bought them. KEF LS50 cannot perform as well as the Revel M22.

7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I bought them, you were correct, the Seller accepted $750. I’ll let you know what I think of them sometime after October 6th!

bever70 likes this.
  8. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

That's an interesting closed assertion ... do you listened the LS50s?

9. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Forum Resident Thread Starter

Debating stands. KEF uses the 24" (~25 w/spikes) for the R3's. That would put the tweeter at 7" hearth + 25 + 12 (estimated speaker btm to tweeter) = 44". At my listening position my ear height is 36" at 14', difference of 8" below tweeter.

I found horizontal and vertical dispersion plots on a site called 'Audio science review'. The commentary is so-so, measurements good.
    Anyways the horizontal is negligible at 10 deg or +/- 30" off tweeter axis, and even at twice that not significant.

Vertical attenuation below tweeter is again moot at 10 deg (1 or 2 dB). 10 deg at 14' is 30" below tweeter (Above is similar) puts listening zone 14" to 74" above floor (ear ~ 36", <3 deg below tweeter).

If I wanted to get the tweeter axis 6" below my ear need 14" of drop or 5 deg of forward can't.
    1" over 12"

16" or 20" would be better but I may bite the bullet and buy the KEF. Then if in the future they will work on the floor. The KEF stands put tweeter ~36" above floor or at ear height. To get the tweeter axis at ear level at my position would only take 1/2" cant over 12".

thanks for bearing with me lol

10. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Listen from a beanbag chair, like we all did in college (at least in my day.) ;)

bever70 and Archguy like this.
  11. Ingenieur

Here's a picture for you based on you avatar.
    I volunteered there for a middle school kids 'discover engineering' event. They got stuff (paper, straws, scissors, tape) and had to build stuff (like a gondola, that rode down a string, that carried ping pong balls, more balls = more points). We coached them. Some smart kids out there.

[​IMG]

Echoes Myron and bgiliberti like this.
  12. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Very cool...I read the blurb on the website -- they even have Hi-Fi speakers in Studio B now. My avatar would be proud!

Ingenieur and Echoes Myron like this.
  13. Ingenieur

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    bgiliberti likes this.
  14. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

The Kef R3 are 12" from the base to the center of the tweeter, i just do the measurement.
    Then ... find the perfect height for you.

Rick58 likes this.
  15. allied333

Oh, great. I believe you will not be disappointed. Let me know what you think with a PM.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  16. allied333

Yes, and another here also stated the Revel M22 is superior. But, it can be the equipment, stand height and placement. LS50 is a serious speaker.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I currently use the KEF LS50, so it's all on point!

18. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Yes, generally the Harman Group have a "house sound" with their speakers (JBL, Infinity, Revel, ...). Something we can call as "american" sound.

Kef also is not the "pure" british sound, but it's more flat and transparent to the recording.

I don't know every speaker of all the brands, it's a general perception based on some experiences I made and opinions from professional reviewers and people on forums.

If you like enough one "side" ... probably you hear something "wrong" on the other. Or maybe with some music styles you like one or another.

The ls50 are amazing, a reference speaker with that size and price tag, it's a great technological achievement. Class A in stereophile and a reference for every professional reviewer I remember.

Rick58 and bhazen like this.
  19. Ingenieur

Did the deed:
    KEF R3 black
    KEF S2 stands black
    Ortofon OM10 (I have a OM 5E)
    Speakers and cartridge by Sat.
    Stands not for 10 days!!!! lol

my ears will be 3 degrees below speaker
    6" at 12', the dispersion graphs show little attenuation even at 10 degrees, and I can get a bit of cant with the spikes or isolation if I need to tweak. 10 mm will give me 3 degrees, 5 with spikes, 5 with isolation if need be.

adamos, Rick58 and Noel Patterson like this.
  20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Make sure you go for seedless...

21. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

:pineapple::pineapple::pineapple: :righton: :cheers: :D

PS: Not to be pushy, but a nice set of Analysis Plus Oval 9 speaker cables will really make them sing to the best of their ability. OR whatever highish end cables float your boat. IMHO this system deserves good cables.

PPS: Well, I guess it might be difficult/expensive if the amp is over to the side ... I guess moving the low rack setup to be centered in front of the TV is out of the question? Maybe a decent base with front supports for the amp only (sitting on the 'hearth') with long ICs from the source? Hmmmm. Oh well. I bet the R3s will sound magnificent in any case.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  22. timind

timind phorum rezident

I owned both at the same time and did quite a bit of comparing. The M22 was the easy winner to my ears. Also had two different audio friends listen and they also gave the nod to the Revels. Just a more likable speaker.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  23. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

The Revels are a more "complete " speaker in my opinion.

timind likes this.
  24. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Well, maybe it's what I mentioned early ... the "house sound". Speakers from Harman group tends to sound different from Kef speakers.

We can't discuss tastes (we're grow up men) ... but one thing it's a different signature sound and other a difference in sound quality. It's not easy to see that.

Sometimes I see people that finds better a speaker that have more bass / midbass and also have treble rolloff and a more undefined midrange. They call it "warm sound" ... I find that a worst quality sound if you talk in hifi terms.

And also, the room acoustics will be better for one or another. Yes, it's complex. That's why i'll try dsp room equalization, I think it's the final grial.

Ok, this is long enough.

25. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

check the KEF manual for stand height guidelines and follow them.
    the ls50 manual recommends a surprisingly low maximum stand height for example.
    KEF are very detailed and thorough about speaker positoning taking into account off axis response as well as boundary reinforcement.