Speaker upgrape

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ingenieur, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thinking about replacing my Monitor Audio RS6 with KEF LS50's, some good deals out there now that a new model was released.
    Also use their stands and a KEF C4 sub.

First, is this really an upgrade or lateral move? From what I've read the speakers are amazing and only lack in low end below ~60 Hz.

Second, how to connect.
    The sub only has a line input, no filtered output. My MA6300 has no sub output only a pre-out/in loop.
    I could use a Y splitter but could not take advantage of rolling the LS50's low end off at st 50-60 to relieve load and have some flexibility blending with the sub which has a high cutoff. So I need a cross-over.
    Any suggestions?

found these , cheap, will do the job, but no real performance specs.

The SX45 Stereo Two-Way Crossover | Rolls Corporation - Real Sound

sub xover
    SX95 Stereo sub woofer crossover / filter | Rolls Corporation - Real Sound

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Sounds like a lateral move to me. I've owned the LS50s more than once; just couldn't live with them long term. I also owned the RS6, but oddly never listened to them. Bought a new pair at a price I couldn't resist and flipped them.

I think you'd be better off adding a sub to the MAs and see how that goes.

Nephrodoc likes this.
  3. Ingenieur

May I ask why you did not like the LS50's?
    On paper they look great and most reviews like their reproduction.

I looked at the sub option for the RS6's.
    I may research that further.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

I bought the first pair because of all the hype, and I found a deal I couldn't pass up. When I set them up I made the mistake of using 28 inch stands which brought the tweeter up to ear height. At that height I didn't like them much at all. So I traded them away.

After reading they needed to be on 24 inch stands, I gave them another try. This time I liked them a whole lot more. In the end though, they weren't as good as the speakers I was using (Revel M22). My impression is they have a bit of a metallic shine to the treble. This can irritate with long term use. Some hear this, others don't. If you're curious, buy a pair at a good price and resell if they don't work for you.

One more thing. If you get a pair in your system, I'll bet they don't give up as much bass as you expect.

5. Ingenieur

thanks
    An open box new set is $800. I may go that route and hold off on the sub until I live with them awhile. I don't listen loud and mostly jazz.

I plan on placing them on a fireplace hearth ~8" high. But I want the KEF stands so perhaps I can angle them down a bit like I did with my RS6 so the tweeter axis is below my ear. Hate to by shorter stands and end up putting them on the floor.

[​IMG]

jonwoody and timind like this.
  6. Helom

Helom I'll take the monkey coffins

I owned the Silver 8s for about a year. The LS50s were indeed an upgrade from 60Hz upward, to my ears. They were far less fatiguing than the Silver 8s.

Rick58 likes this.
  7. Helom

Another speaker that far outclassed the 8s for similar dough is the Vandersteen 1Ci.

8. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Fish tacos.

Looks like you have multiple woofers on your couch!

9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Huh, it will be interesting once I get a chance to set up my Silver 8s with my new Parasound A 21 amp (and P 7 pre). I previously had the 8s in a surround setup driven by a Marantz AVR (middle-high end of AVR line in 2010 or something). I never listed THAT critically but now am hoping the 8/A 21 combo become my new 'reference' stereo. Currently have 300B SETs driving Titus monitors in a nearfield setup with sub augmenting <50Hz. Certainly a radical change!

10. Ingenieur

good eye
    I saw Chica but not Nick's paw

11. Ingenieur

I bought the RS6 maybe 12 years ago, maybe longer, based on a strong Stereophile review and a good price. I don't have a lot of reference to compare. I've owned these over my time:
    BIC ? Horrible, had foam grills
    FMI 80's for their range sounded good, iirc were used in Wilson's first composite state
    Rogers LS3/5a's circa early 80's with an Audiopro B1(?) sub
    Vandersteen 2Ci's
    Work had me moving around doing projects for a while so no system until the RS6's

Part of it is just wanting to play around and make a change.

Rick58 and timind like this.
  12. Ingenieur

Others I'm considering are Wharfendales
    Denton 85
    Linton (not sure I want a 3 way, or that large)
    Nice vintage vibe, high quality from what I can tell

part of the issue is there are no good shops within 75 miles where I can listen and compare

and every review you read, no matter the product, is good! Lol

Rick58 likes this.
  13. Helom

I like Parasound amps. I primarily drove the Silver 8s with the Halo integrated.

Rick58 and Monty12 like this.
  14. Helom

Unless closures or some handicap prevents your traveling, I suggest making the 75-mile trip. Maybe multiple trips if there are multiple dealers in that radius. It will likely save you money in the long run.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  15. Helom

I liked the 1Cis a lot more than the 2CE Sig IIs, but they're not designed to play very loud.

The major strength of MA speakers is they can play very loud before compression sets in. I just don't much care for their timing, tone, and tweeters. Makes me wonder if they're voiced more for HT use than 2-channel stereo.

16. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Right!!...this is a long term purchase...surely it's worth a few hours in the car to purchase something you will enjoy for years:)

17. Ingenieur

75 miles is the limit on the KEF dealer locator.
    It's closer to 200 miles.
    There is one shop that carries a good selection but not KEF or Wharfedale, but they do carry Harbeth and some other stuff.

18. Ingenieur

I think I know my plan
    LS50, all black which I like, new open box
    C4 sub, new sealed
    19" (includes spikes) stands on my 6" hearth ~24 (25 w/spikes) recommended by KEF
    xover: high is direct pass thru nothing in signal path, sub high can be adjusted and stereo or mono
    $1500 delivered
    Going to sleep on it

the more I research, the more confused I get

[​IMG]

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I had the rx2 ... the big bookshelf on the silver line after the rs line.
    Spectacular speakers!

And then I upgraded to the kef R3, a big big upgrade. The R3 are the ls50 with bass and a tiny more definition.

I suggest you listen to the R3, that's not a sidegrade, you will see.

avanti1960 and Ivand like this.
  20. head_unit

head_unit Forum Resident

In some other thread, someone opined their Rolls crossover was pretty transparent.
    My question is-why just an 8" sub? That is very little cone area to reproduce the deep notes.

Oelewapper likes this.
  21. allied333

allied333 TUBE AMPLIFIER REBUILDER - inquire

Errr, not many speakers will outperform Revel M22. They are a crazy good speaker. Now to get same mid-bass driver that Revel has not been able to improve upon since 2002 you pay $4500 for a pair of speakers now. The M22 are not found often used because most will not sell them even if they buy other speakers.

For the original poster, buy these. The M22 cost $2K in 2002, that is $2890 in todays money. I have not seen a pair for sale in over a year. $899 is standard price. Seller may take a $750 offer.
    Revel Performa M22 Bookshelf Speaker Pair | eBay

BTW- love the title Speaker UpGRAPE I need an Upgrape too and a gin and tonic.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  22. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

LOL or just take a leap of faith!

23. Helom

That works for me about 50% of the time.

24. timind

timind phorum rezident

You're not looking in the right place. A friend just bought a pair in excellent condition for $250. The seller had two pairs, one pair included Revel stands, and both pairs were listed at $250 on USAudiomart.

25. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the ls50s will sound excellent with your mac amp. they do have a very nice coherent sound and soundstage. bass is not bad but does lack scale and impact in the midbass area that cannot be filled in with a subwoofer.
    they are ultimately a speaker most do move on from but you might need to experience this rather than believe everyone else. good news is that resale value is very good.
    i would recommend avoiding the rolls crossover, you do not need it- and add that and then some to a better subwoofer, an svs sb 1000 for example.