So a CD walks in bar, a Tidal or Qobuz “CD” track is playing...are they twins?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PB Point, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

That’s interesting that the files can be watermarked. I’d be surprised if the effects were audible, but I guess they could have been incompetently developed.

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

Yes, there are differences, and when the public becomes aware of them, the CD market will explode just like vinyl did. A bit is a bit is a silly abstraction as nobody has ever heard a peep by putting a disc or memory chip against their ear. Audio quality from a digital source is determined by the process of transforming bits into sound waves and the subtleties and variations involved are myriad, which accounts for the difference between a $25 boombox and a $50,000 Esoteric CD transport. Once you listen these differences you cannot unhear them. Personally I simply cannot go back to Tidal or Qobuz. CDs are incomparably more enjoyable.

tomd, SteveKr, Shiver and 2 others like this.
  3. zonto

zonto Forum Resident

4. punkmusick

punkmusick Formerly 4011021

What is this watermark? How does it work?

5. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

And watermarking will cause what is described. And yes, I DESPISE watermarking. That said, I prefer Quobuz and Spotify Premium of the major streaming services. Tidal is for me the worst of the streaming services I've tried.

displayname and zonto like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

I need to upgrade my CD player from that old 1985 JVC to something better.

7. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

I wish he would update this video and add Qobuz, Deezer, Amazon and YouTube Music.

samurai and displayname like this.
  8. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Pricing and availability varies from region to region for some of the services. For example Qobuz is not yet available in Canada. All the services in the USA are pretty close. $9.99 for Apple and Spotify and (through Best Buy) Tidal. Otherwise yes Tidal is the most expensive at $19.99 whereas Qobuz is $14.99 or $12.50 if you pay for a year upfront. They all have family plans and some have Military discounts. In India the streaming services are super dirt cheap due to competition for subscribers. So in some areas yes price may be a consideration others not so much.

WhatDoIKnow and displayname like this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

...and the CD answers, "because of all the bonus tracks"...and, another thread starts up on the Hoffman Board...:p

displayname and Blank Frank like this.
  10. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

Yes, same mastering. I even purchased albums from Qobuz, burned them to Audio CD and they started to sound better from the transport.

I’m absolutely sure that how the digital stream is delivered to the DAC matters a lot. I compared my CD transport with Chromecast Audio (digital out) and RPi3-based streamer with 502DAC hat and linear power supply, connected to the same DAC. I like everything about the sound of a CD. RPi3 streamer sounds fine, delivering great 3D soundstage, but it smoothens transients a bit compared to the CD transport, so the instruments are seemed as less palpable. Chromecast Audio sound cleaner than RPi3, the transients are better defined, but something is lacking in the bass region, the soundstage is smaller, and the decays of each note are shorter.

ClassicalCD, c-eling and displayname like this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

Here's a relevant question: when the streaming service makes a deal with a record label for a certain amount of their artists catalogs...does the record label provide the relevant tracks as a part of the service?

I only ask because Our Host has made a career and a reputation of calling the labels on their b.s. whenever they send an intern into the vaults and pull out the last master they used back when they sent the same tracks to Madacy, months earlier...:shh:

So...what if Audio Fidelity decided to start their own streaming service...? :idea: D'ya s'pose the masters they supply, are gonna be the same ones they hand out to Amazon, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora and all the other cookie-cutter streamers on the block...? ;)

Blank Frank likes this.
  12. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Active Member

Sure, these were my listening notes comparing Amazon HD to Qobuz:

Round 3, Qobuz vs Amazon HD: Winner for me is Qobuz for the following reasons.
    Amazon: Sounds more flat. Less drive than Qobuz so that some music sounds like it is plodding along. Sound is less full. Amazon HD doesn't necessarily do anything wrong (as does Tidal), but also clearly not as good as Qobuz to my ears.
    Qobuz: Much more presence than Amazon HD. More 3-dimensional. Better pace and drive. Better low-frequency response & definition. More range to conveying the emotion in music: (i.e., calmer for calmer music & more drive & pace for more upbeat music)

13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

So far Tidal has been the best sounding of the streaming services I've tried. Not sure why but it clearly adds the least amount of sonic signature.
    Good quality streaming equipment and all hard wired likely helps highlight it's qualities.

14. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Forum Resident

To everyone saying that Qobuz mops the floor with Tidal...

Are you comparing both services using just their 16-bit, 44.1kHz settings? Otherwise, all bets are off. Tidal's and Qobuz's approaches to hi-res are vastly different. Tidal uses MQA, Qobuz does not (as most of you already know).

15. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Active Member

My process of comparing should theoretically have actually given Tidal an advantage. I used the Tidal and Qobuz apps on a PC with the output going to a Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC that does the 2nd MQA unfold for listening to both Tidal and Qobuz. Many of the tracks I was comparing were MQA on Tidal, but 16-bit, 44.1kHz CD quality on Qobuz.

16. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Exactly, the file is the same but the transports are different

displayname likes this.