Sly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Muddy, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Trust me. Stick with it. After a while you'll wish those instrumentals were twice as long.

proedros, Hep Alien, Sear and 3 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Pick up a fast car, burn my name in the road

I was really late to the party with these guys, but I have grown in the last couple of years to love the stuff they did, even though stylistically it probably isn't generally what I naturally reach for.
    I don't know enough about the band to say, but I assume Sly just had a really cool natural way of arranging and writing these types of songs.
    They have excellent variety, and aren't afraid of putting a good melody in there.
    The quad sacd of Greatest hits is a fantastic collection, and led me to buy the classic albums series with five of the original albums in it.
    I haven't had enough time to delve as deeply into that set as I would like, but on one listen through it is an excellent set of albums... and it waits patiently for its space in the time field to get some more listens.

Hep Alien, Greenalishi and Sear like this.
  3. DarylB

DarylB Forum Resident

Ok.You could list the tracks.

4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

Ok but not while freezing at 1am with them two storeys below.

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

Apollo 1971........

Introduction
    1. Thank you
    2. M'lady
    3. Sing a simple song
    4. Family affair
    5. Stand
    6. You can make it if you try
    7. Dance To The Medley

DTK, Hep Alien, Greenalishi and 2 others like this.
  7. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

There's a Riot Going on , is such a masterpiece

i can see why some people may have trouble clicking with it -it's an album written by a depressed/paranoid/coked up his ass Sly and the murky production with the slowish tempo doesn't help either - but once you settle and align with Sly's mindframe this album will be with you for a lifetime

i remember when i heard it for the first time many years back after reading all those glowing reviews , being in a 'wtf/this sucks vibe

but i insisted with it and the rest is history

They don't make albums like this anymore.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Took me a while to take to Riot, but it's great.
    Sometimes i prefer Fresh, which is more upbeat and has some cracking tunes like In Time.

9. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Fresh is my favourite Sly & The Family Stone LP.

I love Small Talk too, very underrated.

Hep Alien, penguinzzz, DTK and 2 others like this.
  10. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I've got the Higher box on vinyl. Maybe I should get the highlights on CD.

DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I bought the Higher! box set and love the tracks from Small Talk, which I haven't heard in full. Looking to pick up the LP or cd rather than streaming it, for the full impact. Along with High On You.

Hep Alien, andy75, Mook and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Forum Resident

Couldn't find stronger message and still (more ?) relevant today as it was some... 50 years back !
    Stand ! and There's a riot goin' on are those records both defining an area and still fresh decades later.
    They are the two faces of the man, the optimistic and the pessimistic.

13. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Just sitting here, chilling out on a Friday night listening to dance to the music and browsing the forum when this thread pops up! Good timing! Well I say I’m sitting here but I’m actually jiggling about in my seat as I don’t think it’s possible to listen to this album without the funk getting to you! I love the slightly later albums but for me, it just doesn’t get any better than this

Greenalishi and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

True, but they only made an album like that once... :)

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I finally picked up Small Talk on LP. It's really good, isn't it. Doesn't sound anything like the works of a burnt out wreck, it's almost as good as Fresh IMO though a bit more mellow.
    Maybe it was more that critics and fans were fed up with Sly's unreliability and that the rest of the field had caught up with Sly, taking his innovations and style and exploiting them commercially, rendering his music not unique anymore. And he didn't radically develop his own music any further, but that's the case for most musical pioneers; at some stage the mainstream catches up with them.

16. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Yeah, I love Small Talk.

Matthew Tate and DTK like this.
  17. dryjoy

dryjoy Forum Resident

Have you got the ‘High On You’ album? If so, what do you think? I think it may be a better effort than Small Talk.

18. dryjoy

dryjoy Forum Resident

I can’t warm to ‘Heard Ya Missed Me, Well I’m Back’, though. I think that is a poor album.

Matthew Tate, DTK and George P like this.
  19. George P

George P Don't Be Afraid To Care

I definitely like it more than Small Talk.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The only real album missing from my Sly collection although I heard a couple of tracks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's pretty poor. The next album Back On The Right Track is more solid imho although hardly a masterpiece.

Hep Alien, dryjoy and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere on this thread, but I read that one reason why There's a Riot is so lo-fi and difficult to remaster properly is because Sly kept recording over the same tape... any truth to this? I'm hazy on the details... as I'm sure everyone involved with the recording is. :laugh:

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, the legend is he brought in a number of young attractive female fans to "contribute"....ehm...backing vocals and then erased them from the tape. It might be just a legend though.

24. dryjoy

dryjoy Forum Resident

Whether the bit about female fans is true, it does sound like the tapes were worn out, and there is testimony that he would sit there recording and re-recording the same thing over and over for hours.

Matthew Tate and DTK like this.
  25. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

So I assume that any remastering of the album would be superfluous, since the master itself is FUBAR.

Matthew Tate likes this.