Sly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Muddy, Apr 12, 2015.

1. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

Don’t know about that. The version reissued as part of a box of CDs with all the albums up to and including Small Talk sounds better than my early 90s CD.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

That's certainly good news. I'll have to check it out.

3. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

What happened to Sly’s comeback in the 2000s?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It fizzled out, like all his comeback attempts. To be fair, he was sidetracked by legal battles with his former manager. Odds are he was still on drugs during that "comeback".

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

Yes, I believe that to be the case, at least for some of that period. I have it on what I believe to be good authority, in fact.

I saw him in 2008. He was pretty good, when he was on stage... which was not much of the time.

DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Very happy to have scored the HIGHER! Vinyl box set for a very reasonable price yesterday. The book itself is a thing of beauty

Hep Alien, DTK, E.Baba and 1 other person like this.
  7. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

The high points of High on You (basically, the first three tracks) surpass the high points of Small Talk, though ST could arguably be considered a more consistent album.

The song 'High on You' is one of my favourites of his entire output, and I don't know why it wasn't a bigger hit.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

What do folks here think about the Back On The Right Track album?

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Not very good, IMO.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Has its moments, but still better than Ain't But The One Way, which ain't sayin' much.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. I think it's great and a more enjoyable listen than Heard ya missed me, the album cover sucks but that's about it. I think all his albums post Fresh have something to offer

12. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I agree, I actually forgot Heard Ya Missed Me. Back on the Right Track is sort of like the title, it is back on the right track, there simply isn't enough top material (imo) to make it an above average Sly album. I definitely prefer it over Heard Ya. There were some pretty cool outtakes released on a few reissues of Sly's Warner Bros. material, plus an entire alternate mix (a la Fresh) released some time in the 90s. Candy for Sly fans, even if it is one of his lesser efforts.

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

I have had much of Riot on a best of 2CD for 15 years and though coming to like a few of its tracks would always rank Stand his best LP.
    However last week I bought a NZ original Riot LP and on one play was entranced and saw how it worked as a whole, oh boy this is what I have always heard people said it was!

proedros, dryjoy and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think it's good and solid if not spectacular. If it wasn't Sly it would be a career highlight. In his discography it's the best album after High On You, which isn't saying much admittedly. I like the Warner Bros cd comp that has Back... and Ain't But The One Way with bonus outtakes.