Rolling Stones Tattoo You 40th, 9 extra tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rs4951, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Which track is that for in the credits recorded at Dynamic Sounds, Kingston, Jamaica ?

2. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

So can we get clarification on what Come To The Ball is please?

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Tops and Waiting On A Friend.

enro99, hi_watt, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I was listening to The Stones '82 show at Leeds this afternoon. Bill Wyman was bloody brilliant wasn't he?? I missed Bill. Especially in a live setting.

5. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

Word is it's "Wind Call" or "Wind Chime," an instrumental track left over from GHS sessions, mostly likely the one recorded in Kingston, Jamaica. Jagger's new lyrics and vocals should be interesting

Graham, Carl80, bonus and 2 others like this.
  6. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Is it me...or does it look like that books been dog-eared already. :D

crlong likes this.
  7. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Wasn’t sure if it might have been Fast Talking, Slow Walking as I know that was from those sessions as well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks for posting some pics. The book still looks nice to me. At least you get a book in this set unlike the GHS vinyl box. Might be later this weekend before I dig in, but let us know your thoughts on the sound if you can.

9. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

OK - I've now heard Live at Wembley from this set - and.... I think it's the second night (unfortunately as I was at the first - see previous posts). Jagger's introduction to 'She's so Cold' is identical in its delivery to the partial video we have of night 2.. They then go into the song and the whole 'train wreck' intro guitar section has been cut out - the vocals come pretty much straight in.

So they're acknowledging the shows "notoriety" in the advance blurb, but, it seems, stopping short of revealing why...

I have no idea if this is the full second night or if they've taken from both as the sleeve has no date at all, anywhere - which seems really, really odd. Maybe its tucked away somewhere in the book?
    I haven't ( obviously) had time to look at that in any detail as yet. General impression of the book is that its fantastic - as is the whole presentation of this thing. There are some great alternate cover ideas shown that were completely new to me - A couple of them pretty dreadful for a die-cut sleeve featuring the - probably placeholding, but odd - title of 'Mercurs Arcade'.

Now - I must go and play those 9 new tracks - I wanted to wait 'til I could actually sit down and give them some considered time...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  10. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I like the GHS a hell of a lot better than this new one. I don’t care if it was attached to the box, or not.

11. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Alternate artwork for the LP design in the book ? Sounds interesting, thanks for the info.

If you could confirm if there are new vocals added to any of the new tracks on disc 2 once you have a listen that would be good.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  12. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

Is the London gig in stereo? or a mono soundboard?

Carl80 likes this.
  13. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Yes - The Jagger shot without the added illustration of the Tattoo - which I think I have seen before - plus two full colour illustrated variants which are really cool and new on me. The two odd 'Mercurs Arcade' graphics with what looks like fantasy animal cigarette cards (?), and a Gangster ID parade style photo with the 5 Stones faces roughly collaged in to some of them - almost in a Led Zep 2 way. This is better, but probably quite dated for '81. They made he right choice.
    I'm a designer for music projects myself and am a really tough audience for stuff like this book - there is a lot of live shots I guess - but I'm very happy with the design and presentation of this. There aren't going to be great unseen shots of the band in the studio - like 'Goats Head...' because, well, this record wasn't made that way.

14. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Thanks , yeah I’ve seen that shot of Jagger without the Tattoo as well , sounds good, there’s some images of the Paris photo sessions in there ? Looking forward to it.

Matthew Tate and scotti like this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

All I was saying is it's nice they put a book in this set. I thought it was total BS that they charged what they did and no book in the GHS LP box. I get it, you don't like it that much and respect that. So you bought the GHS CD box not the LP set or both?

16. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

OK, found it - tucked away in the text of the book. The included show is indeed the second night - the 26th June. The 'She's So Cold' guitar intro has been edited out. So it wasn't 'video drag'! They obviously were all over the shop...

17. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

Upthread there was a post about an alleged proper punch by Keith on Ronnie as the reason for the suggested "notoriety" but guess the train wreck start to She's So Cold seems more likely now

Tom Wabe likes this.
  18. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

We already know that Trouble's A Coming is new vocals

Matthew Tate, Tom Wabe and Carl80 like this.
  19. Jack

Jack Senior Member

To me, it sounds like new vocals on all, and they sound fine. A couple have Jag’s vocals really brought forward in the mix (Drift Away)

Matthew Tate and Carl80 like this.
  20. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

got the 2 cd version last night. The extra 9 tracks for me are just Meh. I am looking forward to getting the box and the Wembley show. I really love those 81-82 shows.

Matthew Tate and Tom Wabe like this.
  21. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs 'Cause Music Is What I Want

22. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

23. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs 'Cause Music Is What I Want

The true fans know this about the 94/05 Trilogy. ;) And Undercover was no slouch, either--in fact, it does have a TY sound itself in quite a few spots.

What I liked was the mentioning of the connections to Black & Blue, and how They can do so very much with so very little.

- siyt

24. Fred1970

Fred1970 Forum Phantom

25. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

GarySteel, Curveboy and Fred1970 like this.