Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time: Song-By-Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KJTC, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Re the golden rule, again, I'm fine with anyone calling me whatever they want to call me. Thinking that respect has something to do with the sounds coming out of their mouth evidences that one doesn't understand what respect is. It's not the case that one respects (or doesn't respect) someone just because particular sounds are coming out of one's mouth.

But yeah, I like the Dixie Chicks, too. ;-)

2. Terrapin Station

"The Coug" ;-)

ARK likes this.
  3. Terrapin Station

Respect is a mental state. It doesn't obtain outside of mentality.

4. Terrapin Station

Human beings are objects, by the way.

We're getting way off track here, though.

5. boyjohn

boyjohn Forum Resident

The difference is that you can have empathy for a human being, you can't for an object (can't believe I had to type that).

Terrapin Station and KJTC like this.
  6. the_doctor

the_doctor Forum Resident

469. The Chicks, “Goodbye Earl”
    I like The Chicks, and their rich vocal sound but I think this song is terrible. Probably the worst in the list so far. Aside from the wholly uninteresting melody, a comic tale of domestic abuse and murder in this vein doesn't do it for me at all. The clip above of Travelin' Soldier was pure class so why did this song get picked over many, many others by them!! I guess it had a pretty big impact at the time and has stayed in people's minds.

No change to my top 10.

Fischman and Terrapin Station like this.
  7. the_doctor

the_doctor Forum Resident

Can we skip the re-naming conversation for another day, folks?

8. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

“Goodbye Earl” 3/5 – Moderately amusing country fare, but nothing that screams important or great. It’s entertaining, and that’s about it.

Top 10:
    1. Midnight Train To Georgia – Gladys Knight & The Pips
    2. Cannonball - Breeders
    3. The House Of The Rising Sun - Animals
    4. Our Lips Are Sealed – Go-Go’s
    5. You're So Vain - Carly Simon
    6. Move On Up – Curtis Mayfield
    7. Oye Como Va - Santana
    8. I Can’t Help Myself – Four Tops
    9. Where Is My Mind? - Pixies
    10. Baby Love – Supremes

Terrapin Station likes this.
  9. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Co-sign.

10. Terrapin Station

You could say "You can have empathy for sentient objects (which wouldn't be limited to humans), but you can't for non-sentient objects."

Which would be the case simply because you can't feel "the same way" as something or understand the feelings of something that doesn't have feelings.

Some objects have feelings--as far as we know, these are the objects that have brains of a certain complexity, but most objects do not have feelings.

11. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

I hadn't realized that they were based just on airplay for that long, I always thought 45 sales were counted - at least in the '80s. But considering there was such a revolving door of No. 1s during that time it makes sense.

Just a question though...I'm a 45/picture sleeve collector (as I know you are too), and there were quite a large number of country 45s released in the '80s that had picture sleeves (not as many as on the pop chart, but still a significant number). If sales of country 45s were so low and mainly targeted to jukeboxes, why were there picture sleeves? I wouldn't think there'd be much of a demand for them in the jukebox trade.

12. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer Forum Resident

469. The Chicks, “Goodbye Earl”

This is not the kind of music that interests me or manages to grab my attention. Nor the discussion about the naming (*yawn*). Let's see what tomorrow brings.

13. KJTC

Country 45's counted for the Billboard charts for most of the eighties. Once they became mostly for jukeboxes, the picture sleeves disappeared. There were a goodly number of country cassette singles and CD singles in the nineties and 2000's, leading Billboard to bring back the Country Singles Sales charts in the later nineties. But they kept the chart itself airplay only.

The reason "Goodbye Earl" was their lowest-charting single on Hot Country Singles & Tracks but their highest on the Billboard Hot 100 to that point was they released a CD single for it, and it did well enough to go top twenty pop on sales alone. "Long Time Gone" did even better and got to the pop top ten on sales alone. There was no way that song was crossing over to the pop market!

14. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Goodbye Earl (The Chicks)
    This is a funny song about a serious issue. I like it and it is worthy of being on a top 500, though it might not make my own list.
    (3/5)

1. House Of The Rising Sun-The Animals
    2. You're So Vain - Carly Simon
    3. Buddy Holly-Weezer
    4. Cannonball-Breeders
    5. I Can't Help Myself-Four Tops
    6. Move On Up-Curtis Mayfield
    7. Oy Como Va-Santana
    8. Baby Love - Supremes
    9. Without You - Nilsson
    10. Our Lips Are Sealed-Go Go's
    11. Midnight Train To Georgia-Gladys Knight & Pips
    12. Sunday Morning Coming Down-Kris Krisofferson
    13. Cross Road Blues-Robert Johnson
    14. Solsbury Hill-Peter Gabriel
    15. Goodbye Earl-The Chicks
    16. Pancho And Lefty-Townes Van Zandt
    17. Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
    18. So What-Miles Davis
    19. Stand By Your Man-Tammy Wynette
    20. Just A Friend-Biz Markie
    21. Bad Romance-Lady Gaga
    22. Rhythm Nation-Janet Jackson
    23. 212-Azelia Banks
    24. Cranes In The Sky -Solange
    25.Where Is My Mind?-Pixies
    26. Welcome To The Jungle-Guns N' Roses
    27. Old Town Road-Lil Naz
    28. Truth Hurts-Lizzo
    29. House Of Balloons-The Weeknd
    30. Stronger-Kayne West
    31. Back That Azz Up-Juvenile
    32. A Milli-Lil Wayne

Once I get to a top 40 I'm not going to drop the bottom songs if a new song places higher.

I guess we could call this a top 500 song from the 2000's since that is when the single came out. So that makes this the first from that decade!

Only #1-#4 are definite top 500 with 5-15 contenders were I making my own list. #23-#32 would not even be considered for my top 50,000 songs!

The countdown is getting better. At one point over half the songs were ones I disliked. Now it is down to just 1/3 of the songs being stinkers. I hope that percentage continues to dwindle as the countdown moves on!

And now almost half the songs are ones I would consider worthy of potential inclusion in a top 500. Hope that percentage continues to go upward!

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Because, though most of the trade in country 45s was for jukeboxes, not all of it was. Especially in areas with popular country stations, you could still find them in stores next to the pop hits.

That said, country picture sleeves were much less common than in pop in the 1980s. Alabama had only five picture sleeves in their entire 45 rpm discography. Kathy Mattea had two. Randy Travis had seven. The Oak Ridge Boys had five. Rosanne Cash had three (plus two promo-only sleeves). Ronnie Milsap had five. Eddie Rabbitt had three (and one of those was very early in his career). Those are a few semi-random selections.

16. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Goodbye Earl

These chicks just annoy me.

1/5

So What - Miles Davis
    Midnight Train to Georgia - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    The House of the Rising Sun - The Animals
    You're So Vain - Carly Simon
    Without You - Nilsson
    Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
    Oye Como Va - Santana
    I Can't Help Myself - Four Tops
    Baby Love - Supremes
    Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield

17. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Haha, that's true. I've never thought about that before.

Object: a material thing that can be seen and touched

I'm an object. :goodie:

18. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

The Chicks - Goodbye Earl

As a non-american I only knew the Dixie Chicks from the controversy surrounding their public criticism on Bush' ill-informed Iraq invasion, but until now I actually never listened to the Chicks' music. So consider me pleasantly surprised to find out that 'Goodbye Earl' turned out to be an excellent track. Very catchy with a fresh rockin' sound. It's also interesting that the sentiment in the lyrics is the exact opposite to that other female country track a few places lower on the list, Tammy Wynette's 'Stand By Your Man' (which I just discovered, the Chicks covered on the B-side of 'Goodbye Earl'!).

4 / 5

01. Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up (1970)
    02. The Breeders - Cannonball (1993)
    03. Gladys Knight & The Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia (1973)
    04. Carly Simon - You're So Vain (1972)
    05. Azealia Banks - 212 (2011)
    06. Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle (1987)
    07. The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun (1964)
    08. The Weeknd - House Of Balloons (2011)
    09. Miles Davis - So What (1959)
    10. Weezer - Buddy Holly (1994)
    11. Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself (1965)
    12. Dixie Chicks - Goodbye Earl (2000)
    13. Kanye West - Power (2010)
    14. Nilsson - Without You (1971)
    15. Lady Gaga - Bad Romance (2009)
    16. Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill (1977)
    17. Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time (1983)
    18. Robert Johnson - Crossroad Blues (1935)
    19. Santana - Oye Como Va (1970)
    20. Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation (1989)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    KJTC, Terrapin Station and the_doctor like this.
  19. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

Goodbye Earl. Maybe one for feminist writers on the Rolling Stones to include for the subject matter. Annoying, borderline novelty song with a meh melody and chorus.

Sounds like something from the cutting room floor written for Thelma & Louise rather than a 500 greatest ever song.

20. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I definitely feel like their best albums were Taking the Long Way and Home but Fly sold a lot, so I'm not surprised at all to see Goodbye Earl on the list.

KJTC and Terrapin Station like this.
  21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Goodbye Earl
    This was written by Dennis Linde, who before Goodbye Earl was best known for writing Burning Love for Elvis (maybe he's still best known for Burning Love). Linde also wrote I Got a Feeling in My Body (Elvis) and Calling Baton Rouge (Garth Brooks). Goodbye Earl came from Fly, which was the second of the two hugely commercial albums that they did when Natalie Maines joined. Before that they were VERY traditional (anyone selling a copy of Thank Heavens for Dale Evans for less than $50?). I like it, but this is not the song by them that I would rank in the Top 500.

Updated list
    1. Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
    2. Gladys Knight & The Pips - Midnight Train to Georgia
    3. Go-Gos - Our Lips Are Sealed
    4. Santana - Oye Cómo Va
    5. Carly Simon - You're So Vain
    6. The Animals - The House of the Rising Sun
    7. Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
    8. Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
    9. The Four Tops – I Can’t Help Myself
    10. Pixies - Where is My Mind?
    11. Tammy Wynette - Stand by Your Man
    12. Robert Johnson - Cross Roads Blues
    13. Kris Kristofferson - Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down
    14. Weezer - Buddy Holly
    15. Miles Davis - So What
    16. Kanye West - Stronger
    17. Townes Van Zandt - Pancho and Lefty
    18. Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation
    19. Juvenile - Back That Azz Up
    20. The Breeders - Cannonball
    21. Goodbye Earl
    22. Peter Gabriel – Solsbury Hill
    23. Nilsson - Without You
    24. Azealia Banks -212
    25. Solange: Cranes In The Sky
    26. Lil Nas X - Old Town Road
    27. Biz Markie - Just a Friend
    28. Lil Wayne - A Milli
    29. The Weeknd – House of Balloons
    30. Lizzo - Truth Hurts
    31. Supremes - Baby Love
    32. Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Terrapin Station and RudolphS like this.
  22. KJTC

Fly is the perfect consensus album for both their earlier and later fans, for sure. "Goodbye Earl" is the logical inclusion for a list like this. A country-based one would use "Cowboy Take Me Away," but that doesn't have the same crossover appeal as "Earl."

23. boyjohn

boyjohn Forum Resident

You act like being a feminist is a negative thing, which it certainly is not.

24. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Without getting political here (and I personally like the feminist angle on this song), I don't think the assertion is that being feminist is a bad thing, but rather that there are better examples of it and as a result, this comes across as a sort of token inclusion rather than a song that makes it on the list on its own musical merit.

Of course, this song is far from the only song on the list against which such an allegation could be made. For instance, the general consensus so far seems to be that the rap songs up to this point are not only not top 500 material, but far from the best the genre itself has to offer. This comes across a lot like a nod to The Chicks for political reasons, or to make the list more current, or both, when there are songs like Helen Reddy's I Am Woman out there.

25. John54

John54 Senior Member

I may have heard Goodbye Earl by That Group before; I've certainly heard of it. To me it's a garden-variety C & W song that sounds like many others of the genre, except that its lyrical content is waaay out in left-field. Musically it's decently put together, certainly not unlistenable, but I doubt I would want to listen to it more than a couple of times.

With regard to the goings-on described in those lyrics, I would recommend that people don't try this at home, as it doesn't appear to be the sort of crime that will end up on Unsolved Mysteries. Those cops are sure to come back, for starters. (I should point out, however, that I have zero sympathy for Earl)

I wouldn't even ordinarily watch the video, even one that's kind of integral to the song as in this case. However, within the first few seconds, I discovered a reason to continue: I would never pass up an opportunity to watch Lauren Holly ...