RIP Ric Ocasek

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erik B., Sep 15, 2019.

1. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

It's a very unusual kind of music, that of The Cars: sounds of its time, but it is not dated at all.

Chris DeVoe, paradox55, dee and 6 others like this.
  2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I read in the Liner Notes(think it was the 'Just What I Needed' Anthology 2 CD Set), that The Cars were loved by Rock Fans and New Wave Fans in their early days, so their Music was unique in that type of Crossover Appeal.

3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Forum Resident

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I guess that I shouldn’t trust them then.

5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

That debut album has the ‘80’s new wave synths — but the rock guitar edge of the ‘70s , a foot in each decade.

mozz, notesfrom, Matthew Tate and 6 others like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

Thanks. I really wasn’t sure of the birthdate.

7. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I am not sure there was ever a better 3 Songs that were Awesome and fit perfectly together as, 'You're All I Got Tonight', 'Bye Bye Love' and 'Moving in Stereo'.

adad, vette442, painted8 and 4 others like this.
  8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Resident

This is standard Wikipedia procedure when someone dies. Seems perfectly appropriate to me.

majorlance and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

11. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

This is the other little skit I remember from Conan. Maybe it's silly to post these, but the clips bring a smile to my face. Wish his Colbert Report appearance was on YT.

12. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Got A Lot On My Head - Dangerous Type

Last two songs on Candy-O
    It doesn't get much better than this

13. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Ric Ocasek and Ben Orr hustled their butts off to make it in the music business. Once they hooked up with Elliot Easton, Greg Hawkes, and David Robertson it truly was magic. One of the great debuts followed by a catalog that's timeless. While the last album suffered from Orr's absence it showed that the band could still pull it off. Seemed like a cool guy who was able to laugh at himself. Truly one of the greats. Sad, sad news.

14. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

One of the amazing things about the Cars' story is how they got signed after Maxanne Sartori played their demos on 'BCN.

Think about that. A DJ at a major radio station putting an unsigned band's demos in regular rotation. That could never happen today.

15. Dear 23

Dear 23 Forum Resident

Such a legacy. Thank you for it all, Ric.

RIP

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Forum Resident

The Cars really broke New Wave wide open to US audiences. They were accepted by almost everyone solidifying New Wave as the rock music force of the 1980’s. The debut was an instant classic.

I don’t know why Ric lost interest in touring but I guess he had enough cash. He certainly could have been much wealthier if he kept the Cars on the road longer. Years ago I used to see him occasionally at the Union Square Farmer’s Market with Paula and a little kid. They had an amazing townhouse nearby in Gramercy Park. Sad that he died there all alone.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  17. MikaelaArsenault

Then I'm sorry.

DRM likes this.
  18. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Hard to explain the impact of that first album. The Cars were basically a poppier version of Suicide and that's 'Just What We Needed' in those arid days of Corp Rock. Thanks for everything Ric. RIP.

19. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Brilliant man. RIP

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Seen him walking about Gare de Nord ~Brüssels 1991..he stood out a mile away.

21. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Just heard the news. I love the Cars to this day. Those first three albums were a blast of sound that defied categorization. Was it New Wave? Punk? AOR? I loved how it blended all the styles at a time when it was literally taboo to do so.

The more we hear about these visionary artists passing, the more I see my youth passing before my eyes. We'll always have the songs, and I sincerely hope this causes people to pay closer attention to the Cars, especially young folks. Because these songs are just as hooky today as they were when they first came out.

22. MikaelaArsenault

23. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

I was still pretty young in 2000 when Ben died (15), and I always thought Ric sang all the songs. Imagine my surprise when I found that they split duties and Ben sang a number of hits. Any way you slice it, both of those voices have now been silenced. My music director used to notify me when he got to schedule a Cars song because it was always something to look forward to for me. Thanks, Ric. For all the tunes.

24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Forum Resident

proper forum love shown here Ric, wherever you are I hope your spirit realizes how much joy you offered this world while you were here, and that joy will go on as you explore the universe. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for songs that will be with me until I'm there with you. Love.

MikaelaArsenault and Darienzo like this.
  25. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

And of all the MTV bands that got overplayed, I never ever got tired of The Cars.