RIP Martin Birch (Producer for Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, etc)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Aug 9, 2020.

1. agentalbert

agentalbert Forum Resident

Is Fear Of The Dark (1992) really the last thing he produced? He was 44. Why in the world did he stop? I guess retiring at 44 sounds great to most of us working jobs we consider just work, but assuming he loved what he did, I'm surprised he hung it up then and didn't work again.

Yeah, I see the thread posted earlier about why he retired. Just wondered if he gave any interviews, particularly in the last few years where he talked about deciding to hang it up.

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Forum Resident

My favourite Martin Birch production and to me the greatest of all heavy metal songs. It's got everything. The original UK vinyl of Number of The Beast and his other Maiden productions sound killer!

Martin Birch also deserves great credit for the sound he got on Deep Purple - Made In Japan and Iron Maiden - Live After Death. I can't imagine that was easily done, especially in 1972 for Deep Purple.

3. g.z.

g.z. Forum Resident

Rest In Peace Mr. Martin Birch.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. zen

zen Forum Resident

Thank you x3 I've never heard that mix before. Alternate solos, and so much more....nice!

5. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

R.I.P. to a Rock Legend! I love his sound.

I always hoped him and Maiden would work together again one day.

6. Man at C&A

They've never sounded right without him.

7. Murph

Murph Somewhere...under heaven

Not only that, he was 21 when he produced Purple’s In Rock. 21. RIP to a legend

Allthingsmusic, g.z., fretter and 2 others like this.
  8. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

My favorites of his are Dio-era Rainbow, Sabbath's Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules. Then there are Maiden's Live After Death and Somewhere in Time. The early heavy blues Whitesnake stuff.

9. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

The way he essentially integrated as an honorary member with the artists he worked with is evident. He wasn't just turning knobs on a board that's for sure. What a legend!

g.z., edenofflowers, Murph and 3 others like this.
  10. Man at C&A

I love Heaven and Hell. I don't have any early Whitesnake but I know they sound great. I haven't had Mob Rules for long and have only played it once. Maybe tomorrow it'll get another spin in tribute.

fretter and Zoot Marimba like this.
  11. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

I pulled every Martin Birch produced/engineered LP off the shelf, grabbed a beer, and asked my wife to randomly pick one from the stack. Made In Japan by Deep Purple is up first. Not a bad record in the bunch. This will be a celebratory evening.

streetlegal, gd0, zen and 5 others like this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley 5.1 should be mandatory for my favourite albums

Definitely a sad loss, a great body of of work.
    Love and prayers for his family and friends

g.z. and zphage like this.
  13. YMC4

YMC4 Forum Resident

one of the Greatest.....Rest In Peace :righton:

g.z. likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Even though he retired years ago, I feel sad about this. He's one from the golden age of rock albums. I'm just think of how fantastic Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind sounds. Superb recording and mixing with no unnecessary bollocks!

15. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Oh no! RIP one of the greatest producers of hard rock. His name is on many of my favorite albums, but I'll probably always associate him with the best years of Iron Maiden, who also gave him countless nicknames including but not limited to "Farmer", "Black Night", Headmaster", and my favorite, Martin "Disappearing Armchair" Birch (as quoted on the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album).

16. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke You shoulda heard just what I seen

Those Deep Purple albums always sounded so damn good. R.I.P. Sir, Bless those ears of yours.

Man at C&A and g.z. like this.
  17. The thread is as useful as tits on a bullfrog in answering the question, why? o_O

18. Timothy Aborn

Timothy Aborn Well-Known Member

Damn shame. Many great albums by many great bands engineered/produced by him.

g.z. likes this.
  19. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I rather like the golfing explanation, although if there's any truth to the speculations, he may not have liked the cd age and the changes in album engineering. He was a master at engineering for vinyl sound.

20. danielbravo

danielbravo Forum Resident

A producer and engineer with a brilliant mind and sense. He captured the essence of an entire era of hard rock and heavy metal legends. The list of his work is magnificent. My favorite producer.
    God bless him and peace to his soul
    R.I.P Mr. Martin

Joti Cover, g.z., fretter and 3 others like this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Rare Earth maven

Aww man! What an effing huge loss. His work will live on. It’s imperishable. Rest In Peace, Martin.

Joti Cover, g.z. and Man at C&A like this.
  22. Man at C&A

He really was. Some of those Iron Maiden albums are around 25 minutes a side and they still sound excellent.

g.z., fretter and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  23. I doubt it was anything to do with the CD age but rather he just decided to wind down and enjoy himself. In any case, his body of work will live forever. That’s the great thing about our music collections. We can relive the magic he captured over and over.

24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Joti Cover, g.z. and danielbravo like this.
  25. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

He produced something like 15-20 of my all-time favorite albums. RIP.