RIP Martin Birch (Producer for Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, etc)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

https://www.themetalvoice.com/post/...roducer-martin-birch-has-died-at-72-years-old

Heartbroken to hear this.
    We have lost a true legend today in Mr. Martin Birch.

As far as I'm concerned, Birch was, is, and always will be one of the greatest producers and engineers that ever lived. Just looking at the artists he worked with is an eye opener-

Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Blue Öyster Cult, Jeff Beck, Gary Moore, Whitesnake, Rainbow, Wishbone Ash, and Iron Maiden.

And anytime Martin Birch was on an album, you knew the sound would be top notch. And when he worked with a band, that band would always bring their A game.

He helped anchor bands like Deep Purple and Iron Maiden through their greatest works, bringing deadly precision to the soundboard without ever robbing the music of its power.

He helped Black Sabbath and Fleetwood Mac find their way as they moved forward without the original lineup, as well as Blue Öyster Cult as they attempted to regain the ground they lost with Mirrors. Likewise, he gave similar guidance to the likes of Richie Blackmore and David Coverdale as they started life without Deep Purple.

He helped the likes of Ronnie James Dio and Bruce Dickinson become some of the greatest singers and performers who paved the way for countless others. Birch drove them nuts on occasion, but Bruce and Ronnie were also quick to give Birch his props.

Rest In Peace to a true master of his craft.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    thenobs70, angelo73, M321115 and 68 others like this.
  2. FloydMaui

FloydMaui good kitty

dennis1077, DPM, ZBDMiller and 12 others like this.
  3. zen

zen Forum Resident

Loved his work with Deep Purple. Made in Japan, timeless.

4. The Hud

The Hud Just add water

Well crap, this sucks. Even if you just consider his work with Iron Maiden, from Killers to Fear of the Dark, he would be a legend.

JakeM, dennis1077, serj and 17 others like this.
  5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Rest easy, Mr. Birch.

Produced records that changed my life. He'll be missed.

serj, Chad75, Scroller and 9 others like this.
  6. zen

zen Forum Resident

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Senior Member

8. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

RIP "Headmaster"

I didn't get around to really listening to those Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath albums until the 90's. When I did a big part of their appeal was the sound and production by Martin Birch, which was very appealing to me.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Forum Resident

He did truly great work. And then when you think how great most of the albums he produced once sounded compared to how bad the current CD releases of many of them are... it's a shame!

10. eelkiller

eelkiller Not one of the first 100 members

If you saw his name in the credits you knew it would sound excellent. Sad news.

11. Time waits for no one. RIP Marty.

Zoot Marimba, g.z. and longdist01 like this.
  12. A legend! Captured sonically my favorite era of Fleetwood Mac. Also had a fling with Christine MacVie.

RIP MB

13. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

His name on albums was like a quality seal. Too bad he didn't produce ...and Justice For All.

14. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

RIP the wasp Martin Birch

Zoot Marimba, g.z. and fretter like this.
  15. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

What a great body of work! RIP

16. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

So many legendary albums by so many legendary artists. His impact was immense and his work will live on for many generations.

R.I.P. Martin Birch

17. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

RIP Martin,

Thank you for all your contributions to amazing music!

18. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

RIP Martin Birch...truly sad news to read now....thank you for your gifts and incredible work with so many artists/groups....

Blastproof, purple-lazy, Anno and 4 others like this.
  19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

Too young. He knew how to get amazing textures from guitar players that did not realize it until he worked with them.

20. One of, if not the best producers to ever grace the studio. Walls full of gold and platinum albums tell the tale.

Thank you, Martin. Rest In Peace

[​IMG]

coffeetime, Tim 2, squittolo and 6 others like this.
  21. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Martin Birch is the George Martin of metal, he knew how to get that sound. RIP

22. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Forum Resident

Man he produced some of the most amazing records. Rest easy Martin, your legendary status was cemented a long time ago... Godspeed...

hi_watt, Zoot Marimba and g.z. like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Forum Resident

Oh no. My favourite rock producer. The records he produced have given me a lot of happiness since childhood. They still sound great. He really knew what he was doing. RIP Martin Birch.

24. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Joti Cover, hi_watt and Zoot Marimba like this.
  25. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Shocked to read this! I adore the run of albums he did with Maiden, and always wanted them to work with him again. In fact the most recent album I bought was BOC’s Fire Of Unknown Origin, a great sounding album - why? ‘Produced by Martin Birch’.
    He will be missed R.I.P.