Replace My Power Amp or Entirely New System

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by muzikgeye, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfection Through "Crystal Clear" Digital

I believe we are not talking about D technology here, Jeff Rowland used D technology now, however the Parasound is not one of them. I should also mention, he has yet to give us any price guidance, so he could purchase a JC-2 BP and a JC-5 amp for all we know.

Parasound 2250 V.2 Classic amplifier

The heart of this flexibility lies in the amplifiers design and high level internal components, and the fact that the power amplifier has been designed with Parasound's proven class AB amplifier technology. The amplifier benefits hugely from fully discrete circuitry with toroid transformers and an efficient, low heat design. The robust design, coupled with high grade components and build quality means that the NewClassic 2250 v.2 is a great performer for all sorts of applications that sometimes fall into a custom installation situation.

Parasound 2250 v.2 Two Channel Power Amplifier

bgiliberti and Uglyversal like this.
  2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I've heard them mentioned around here but I haven't noticed it at least on the brands I normally pay attention to. Is class D being used a lot more in newer, high quality amps or is it mainly in the lower end? I didn't expect any Parasound would be class D either.

3. Litejazz53

You are now seeing class D from many amplifier manufacturers, not sure but I think Parasound does have some class D amplifiers, probably the very small Z series amplifiers. I do not know this for sure, but because they do not mention anything in the SPECS, I'm guessing the small Z series might be D. D technology is becoming refined, so I expect it will be accepted as time goes on. I have read reviews on Jeff Rowland amplifier, and they are rated very highly, and they are class D amplifiers. I'm sure there are plenty of junk class D amps, which is probably causing customers concerns across the board.

Uglyversal and bgiliberti like this.
  4. sound chaser

sound chaser Forum Resident

I would also suggest having a look at Wyred4Sound power amps, I was a fairly early adopter, I had to order from the US as there was no U.K. distributor at the time. I have been very happy ever since.

I can only imagine they are even better these days.

5. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Thanks for the clarification on the Classics -- Parasound describes them as Class AB, except for the Parasound New Classic 200, which is Class D. They call the Halo and JC Class A/AB, meaning (I think) that they are more biased to A operation than the Classics. The ones that they describe as Class D are the "ZoneMaster" series.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  6. muzikgeye

muzikgeye Well-Known Member Thread Starter

As an ignorant stereo equipment fan, I have loved all the responses to my original post. It has given me food for thought. However, I have tried to summarize everything you have written onto something cohesive for myself. I hope the following makes some sense.

I think I would like to replace my Yamaha setup. Although that leaves me with a used Yamaha pre-amp and tuner, still, the possibility of getting something new and possibly better that will last for a while is very tempting.

For now, I like the idea of dedicating my Onkyo system for the TV. A new Parasound unit would be mainly for music. I care more for the sound quality over anything else. That is why I purchased my Spendor A5 speakers, an extravagance I craved and desired. For me, the sound is very good.

So one of the Parasound integrated amplifiers sounds like just the replacement I would like. I would still like to connect a radio/tuner and would like a suggestion on that, or will my Yamaha Tuner be sufficient? Also, at this time, I am making due with my Techniques SL1200MK 2 turntable. Perhaps there is a better alternative to my unnecessary DJ turntable, but for now, I trust it will work well with my stereo upgrade. What do you think?

7. Litejazz53

I think you should get your feet wet with the Parasound New Classic Integrated, which will give you 110 watts into 8 ohms. If you current pre-amp still works and you can use it, I would recommend the Parasound model 2250 V.2 power amplifier to be used with your existing pre-amplifier. This way you will have so much more power to work with. Then at some point you will purchase the Classic 200 Pre-amp to go with the 2250 V.2 power amplifier, and you will be done.

With all the many streaming services and since you will have a great DAC in either the Parasound 200 Pre or the 200 Integrated, why worry with an FM tuner at all, really?? Just use your computer and the DAC and your done! I do hope you opt for the power amp (2250 V.2) instead of the integrated, if your Yamaha Pre-amp is still operating ok, until you have the funds to purchase the 200 Pre from Parasound. If not, the 200 Integrated will do a nice job.

To substantially upgrade your turntable, may I make a suggestion? For the money, you would do well with the Marantz acrylic table with the included MM Virtuoso cartridge, it's a very nice table, very highly rated and reasonably priced.

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the amplifier that I really encourage you to purchase, lots of very good reviews and it will absolutely cut the mustard, power wise. If you bought this and the 200 pre at a later time, you would have a very nice and very powerful set up. I am not being critical of the Parasound 200 Integrated, I just know, in the long run, you will be so much happier with the Parasound Classic 200 Pre coupled with the 2250 V.2 Power Amplifier, it's a killer combination, one you will be completely satisfied with.:agree:

Model NewClassic 2250 v.2 « Parasound

Oh, one thing I just thought of. I believe your Onkyo has R & L pre-amp outs on the back, so you could easily use the Onkyo as a pre-amp for the Parasound 2250 V.2 until you can afford the Parasound Classic 200 Pre-amp/DAC. Or, as I said, if the Yamaha pre-amp still works, use it with the Parasound 2250 V.2 power amplifier.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    muzikgeye likes this.
  8. muzikgeye

Your Marantz turntable recommendation is intriguing. Long have I wanted to one day replace my Techniques turntable. I really want to experience vinyl in as perfect a piece of equipment as possible. This belt driven turntable seems like one that I could finally own and appreciate. Even though you gave this "reasonable priced" turntable a thumbs up, the price tag gave me a little pause. If this is in fact the best option to pair with the Parasound Classic amp and my Spendor Speakers, perhaps can wisely invest in it and I may get the best sound for the money. But I have enjoyed reading your reasoned stereo recommendations, so far, so perhaps yhis one may be the best for me. One question: in owning a belt driven turntable with MM cartridge, will I need to do anything extra for its upkeep, unlike my Techniques, I simply turned it on and really did nothing special for its upkeep.

9. Litejazz53

The Marantz is very easy to set up and use. Be sure and get yourself a nice digital stylus tracking force meter, these are much more accurate than other methods. Here is the best one to get and not pay much!

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Digital-Turntable-Backlight-Cartridge/dp/B01HRJ9NAY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=AO5JALH7Z3QO&dchild=1&keywords=stylus+tracking+force+gauge&qid=1600970305&sprefix=Stylus+tracking+,aps,173&sr=8-3

Also, look at where the anti-skate is set on my Marantz table, (look at the picture I posted) you will see the screw adjustment barely comes through the assembly, if you go more than that, it's too much anti-skate. I was able to adjust mine with a Shure anti-skate test record, which enables you to get spot on. The Virtuoso cartridge sounded as good or better than my Shure V-15 Type V-MR cartridge with a new stylus, and that is saying a great deal. When you are ready, I have the custom dust cover for you as well, I kept it.

Did you decide to use your old Yamaha Pre-amp or use your Onkyo receiver's Pre-Outs?

One thing is "for sure," playing vinyl is NOT a cheap undertaking. One of the reasons I'm so high on the Marantz is because it comes with the Virtuoso cartridge as a package. That cartridge would cost about $700-$800 if you bought it alone. If you did not know this, the German company Clear Audio actually makes this table for Marantz. If you will look on the Clear Audio site, you will see one almost exactly like the Marantz. Look at the emotion SE on the Clear Audio site, that is your turntable.

In my opinion, there is nothing that comes close to the Marantz TT-15S1 turntable package, absolutely nothing. I'm a big fan of VPI, but you won't even get close with a VPI turntable and cartridge. The arm on the Marantz (Clear Audio) is a quality arm, it's just a real buy in that price range, your getting close to audiophile here! Here are a couple of more pics to wet your appetite ! You might like the little light kit as well, nice bling, don't you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  10. muzikgeye

So I may be ready to take the plunge, based on your recommendations. But I need to summerize and clarify the info I have geamed from all the posts.
    The Parasound amp 2250 v.2 is about $900 (amazon)-$1395 (your above link) + the Marantz TT at about $1499 (Marantz TT-15 Acrylic Turntable ) + the digital tracking meter at about $14.95 = $2413.95-$2908.95. Also, there is something to purchase for the anti-skating part of a turntable function, not sure of that price. Would this be about the bottom line dollar amount I would have to pay?

Also, I am worried about service afterwards. There is no local Parasound dealer to me. I do see a Marantz dealer near me. I would love to have someone near me who could help me resolve any problems, first with initial set up, and in future potential problems. I am willing to take the time for an initial time investment of the set up of these two high end pieces of equipment, but after that, I do not want to invest a lot of my time resolving too many myriad problems that may arise.

Also locally, Brooks Barden is the best high end store to me in Monrovia, California. I know I could use them for any potential problems (even though I pray there are none). However, they do not sell Parasound nor Marantz, so I feel a little unsure about using their repair services.

So, that is where I am.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  11. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Parasound headquarters are in San Francisco. If you had problems with their equipment you wouldn’t be shipping an amp across the country. I have had numerous Parasound products in the past. I haven’t had any repair problems thus far. Their reliability is very good.

Litejazz53 and muzikgeye like this.
  12. bgiliberti

Make sure it's the Parasound New Classic 2250. Not sure if that Amazon price is the new one.

13. muzikgeye

Of course. Thanks.

14. Litejazz53

I see nothing wrong with the Amazon offering at $900.00 on the 2250 V.2, and you are always good with Amazon, you don't like it, they take it back, (but that ain't happening) you will love this amplifier.

There will be NO worries on dependability, these amplifiers just keep going far beyond the Eveready Bunny!

The Marantz table is available at Amazon as well, you need nothing else, other than the stylus tracking gauge. There is NOTHING you need to purchase concerning the anti-skate function, I will help you through that, I will forward my telephone #

That is all you need! Do NOT worry about service, there will be NO service. That turntable will last many many years, it's beautifully constructed. The amplifier has a great warranty, but they last about 20 years!

Order it!

15. muzikgeye

Thank you very much. You have been most generous with your time and expertise. I may take you up on your offer for future assistance. For now, I will go ahead in the next few days.

And I thank everyone on this thread for all your thoughtful words.

16. Litejazz53

Call me, I sent you a PM! Very important!

17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I love my cheap Yamaha surround Receiver, so you probably can guess my answer.....

18. bgiliberti

My specific concern is that it's a 3rd party seller, and doesn't say "NewClassic," which is the correct nomenclature.

19. Litejazz53

I did not think about that, so true. I called this gentleman and put him on to a great Marantz/Parasound dealer, where there will be no questions about the products, better to be safe than sorry.

bgiliberti likes this.
  20. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

1. What do you mean by "destroyed?" Unless you dropped it off a skyscraper, if it simply failed then it still might be serviceable. You don't need a Yamaha-approved shop (if there is such a thing) to do the work. It's a pretty conventional amp; any shop should be able to service it. I've had numerous amps refurbished over the last few years. Without even knowing what's wrong, if it's a "typical" amp that "failed" in any number of typical ways, it could cost $200-$300.

2. I see a used MX-830 currently on sale that, based only on the listing, looks good, for $425. With shipping it could be still less than $500.

3. As I've said many times, 200 wpc is the sweet spot in terms of $/W when it comes to stereo power amps - new or used. There's tons to choose from.

Good luck.

Jeff

muzikgeye and Dale A B like this.