Reassessing Steely Dan's "Gaucho" (almost 37 years later)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny 99, Sep 11, 2017.

1. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

It holds up well after 37 years. Better than thzn the original time of release. Those guys or their band etc could make good listening music

2. MANCHESTER MAN

MANCHESTER MAN Forum Resident

Steely Dan are unique. No other band has ever fused jazz and pop so well, with such wit and originality. I love all their albums for different reasons, I can’t say whether one is better than another. However I will say that in my opinion they stand head and shoulders above pretty much everyone in their field today. Yes they took their quest for musical perfection to the extreme, but they have consistently delivered the goods live. Songs like My rival, and Third World Man are works of musical genius. Just a pleasure to listen to them.

3. Wordnat2

Wordnat2 Square as hay, dull as cattle.

I can’t find a SD album by album thread. Help.

4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

What a perfect time for Cimcie Nichols to get that recently-found cassette of "The Second Arrangement" professionally transferred, and get Fagen on board to release it as a bonus track on an expanded reissue, along with master tape versions of "(You Got) The Bear", "Kulee Baba", "Kind Spirit", "Were You Blind That Day"...

Sigh. It'll never happen.

5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Wasn't "Bear" an Aja outtake? Not that it wouldn't sit comfortably with those others.

RoyalScam likes this.
  6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm going by the fact that "The Bear" was included on bootlegs as a Gaucho outtake. "Were You Blind That Day" was absolutely an Aja outtake, but was resurrected for Gaucho.

anth67 likes this.
  7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I wanna say they introduced it as an Aja-era song when they performed it in 2011 ~ which, yeah, doesn't mean they recorded it then. Sadly, that was my introduction to the song; I'm sure someone in the theater was losing it. (As I was when they opened with "Your Gold Teeth." But I digress...they also played "Babylon Sisters," to swing back towards topic....)

RoyalScam likes this.
  8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Third World is the best song on the album

Instant Dharma and sekaer like this.
  9. pool_of_tears

I’d buy it. Or, a 2 cd set of outtakes and alternates. I’d love to hear the first (unused) mox of Katy Lied, which Denny Doss referred to, in that Katy and The Gremlin article

RoyalScam likes this.
  10. pool_of_tears

Mix, not “mox”.

11. More groove orientated but a bit too over rehearsed and bland feeling compared what to came before, they left the stage at the right time. It made their return all the sweeter. The Allmusic review is quiet insightful-the seams show and the songs feel too labored.

12. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

Sounds dated and "disco like" thumpy and boomy the songs are well written however and worth hearing.

13. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Loved it then, and I love it now. Not a clunker on it, though I can understand the judgment that it's a bit too smooth for an act that was plenty smooth enough already.

I guess Glamour Profession checks the "disco" box, but the rest of the album doesn't.

Jonny W likes this.
  14. I liked it at the time but was disappointed compared to Aja and Royal Scam.

15. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The RL of Gaucho is all the "audiophile" you need, honestly.
    Same with the AB press of Aja. A $50 (or $125) MoFi reissue will never better that. It'll just be a very expensive, dead-quiet version of a slightly inferior mastering.

I am honestly surprised that Gaucho hasn't received more audiophile reissues (in any format), though. It's an immaculate production, especially compared to some of the titles MoFi chooses to reissue over and over.

Chemguy likes this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

905 and Wordnat2 like this.
  17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Completely agree. I have the RL Gaucho, two AB-1006s of Aja and the Mofi. But would any of that stop me from getting a Mofi Gaucho or OneStep Aja?...not a chance.

I'd be sucked into that audiophile whirlpool so fast...

18. AveryKG

AveryKG a keen gardener no more

Surprised by the – if not hate – then lack of love for 'Babylon Sisters'. It's definitely in my top 5 Steely Dan songs.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I would guess that if MFSL did Gaucho, it would sound a lot like the SHM SACD, which I don't enjoy as much as my early Japan for US JVC CD. The latter I use whenever I test my system, as the sound is incredibly open, clean and transparent.

20. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

MFSL did Gaucho.

Steely Dan - Gaucho

rodentdog likes this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member

I would guess that if MFSL did a Gaucho SACD, it would sound a lot like the SHM SACD, which I don't enjoy as much as my early Japan for US JVC CD. The latter I use whenever I test my system, as the sound is incredibly open, clean and transparent.

22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Yup. Up until reading this thread, I thought it was common knowledge that "Babylon Sisters" was the standout track on Gaucho. (With "Hey Nineteen" and "Third World Man" following reasonably close behind.) Guess that's not a universal take.

905 likes this.
  23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Gotta be something wrong with a Steely Dan fan who doesn't like "Babylon Sisters":laugh:

Jonny W, Bullis, Bungo and 1 other person like this.
  24. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

Always liked the sleazy noir feel of My Rival.

Jonny W, Nightfly68 and Bungo like this.
  25. fmalloy

fmalloy Active Member

Your spangled leather poncho...elevator shoes...bodacious cowboys...studs that match your eyes...?

No, no homosexuality at all, no way no sir! :laugh:

Nightfly68 and Bungo like this.