Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Agreed. Of course I’m sorry Davy departed this mortal coil so soon. That’s not in question.

But I have to wonder also if GT is as the same kind of album if he’s there to contribute and have his say. He had a few of the better songs on Justus, but even so they aren’t songs I plan on revisiting (That goes for the whole album).

Would Davy have been on board for the power pop throwback GT mostly is? Not sure. I guess he could’ve sang “Little Girl” though. Figure he’d have had roughly half of the vocals that went to Micky, overall, and probably not all the same songs would’ve been included.

Impossible to say, obviously. Didn’t always care for what he sang, but sometimes he’d surprise me. Something along the lines of “Early Morning Blues and Greens” or “You and I” (The 1968 one) would’ve sounded great on GT.

2. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Good Times!

1-0
    2-0
    3-2
    4-17
    5-11

The MEZ likes this.
  3. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is Love’s What I Want:

As Andrew Sandoval was such an important part of the album, I can understand why he would have been given the opportunity to produce this song. Unfortunately I don’t think the standard is close to that which Adam Schlesinger achieved elsewhere, and there is quite a drop off in production quality from the album proper.

It’s a shame as this is another strong Andy Partridge song and with Micky, Coco and Bobby Hart involved it ought to have worked.

It’s still bright and breezy and a nice bonus to have, but it could have been quite a bit more.

2.5/5.

The MEZ and intv7 like this.
  4. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Love's What I Want"

A fairly obvious nod to "Clarkesville" in the tempo of the song as well as the nod to "Randy Scouse Git" at the end. But if you want to make a modern day Monkees track, those aren't bad places to start. Those of us who know Andy Partridge can recognise a few of his usual lyrical traits. Even with the production, it's still a strong effort, and it shows how strong Good Times! is that this one didn't make the cut for the starting line-up. Very Monkees, and very good. 3.5/5.

pablo fanques, factory44 and The MEZ like this.
  5. FredV

FredV Forum Resident

Love’s What I Want – Written by Andy Partridge, this bonus track is just okay, which is probably why it didn’t make the album. It’s fun enough, nice that Micky sticks in a bit of ‘Randy Scouse Git’ into the song.

Andrew Sandoval plays acoustic six string and electric 12 string guitar and drums and provides backing vocals and handclaps, Bobby Hart plays organ and provides handclaps, Coco Dolenz is on background vocals and Pete Thomas of the Attractions plays drums and percussion on the track. This is a song that would have probably been used on a Monkees TV romp.

It’s a fun song and is a nice listen. 3/5.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  6. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Production is kinda lacking but the song is really really good. A low 4/5.

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  7. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Love's What I Want - 3/5
    Fun, filler track that does sound like the Monkees. I think the keyboard sound and style of the song help make it sound retro. I don't seek it out on its own, but this tune would have fit fine in the regular version of GT. And this song is a pleasant earworm if it gets stuck in your head. :)

The MEZ likes this.
  8. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

So many what ifs about Davy had he been involved with GT. We won't ever know - good summary about it, Guy! At least he was included on GT and Christmas Party.

The MEZ likes this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'd disagree... IMO, there are three cuts on "GT!" that are as bad as those songs (looking at you tracks 2, 3, & 4).

And, FWIW, I kind of like "Grizelda", and "Knockin'" isn't the worst thing David Jones ever laid down within the context of The Monkees (but nowhere near a favorite either).

But, as you say "As always, one’s mileage may vary."

905 likes this.
  10. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Love’s What I Want- I really like this one-very catchy. Andrew Sandoval plays some nice music, and I like the lyrics. I like this much better then the closer on the album 4/5

pablo fanques, factory44 and The MEZ like this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

He probably would have wanted to stay "contemporary" and we'd have ended up with him singing Beiber-like tunes or something... :)

12. Guy Smiley

So I’m going to be the only 5/5 for “Love’s What I Want”? Not even Fred? :)

Another, for me at least, perfect, groovy little slice retro pop-rock. Micky’s again on top of his game (Is it even worth mentioning at this point?), and Partridge is on point with the words and music alike. The bubbling organ sound is candy to my ears.

Lyrically, it’s oh so simple but that simplicity is what makes it so effective. Also, the album, and the four bonus tracks, came out summer of 2016. It was a very uneasy time that’s only gotten... Eh... Let’s just say this very simple message has a lot to say in increasingly uneasy times.

The lines about “crazy folks” out there who weren’t cuddled by their mother, or wanting to take your dreams away because they think it’s all about the money? Yeah, I know I’m projecting here but, in my mind, I have some very definite ideas about the sort of people this song could be about. One in particular.

Not sure why some feel the production is lacking here. Sounds like it would’ve been a perfect fit for the album. Adding the “Randy Scouse Git” callback at the was just the icing on this cake. Could’ve made a great album closer. Maybe a hidden track after “I Was There”?

A shame most people buying the album can’t get this song with it.

13. Edwin Hawley

Edwin Hawley Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Keith V and Guy Smiley like this.
  14. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I was glad Micky and Adam chose this quote to make into a song instead of the aforementioned. I generally like Micky's take on things but I never could get behind the Star Trek connection simply because there are no such things as Vulcans, so no one could turn into a real one. Musician - yes, Doctor - possibly, Cop-has happened, Vulcan-can not.
    I have been out but I would have given this song a 4, I like it that much and it is fun.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  15. Guy Smiley

I didn’t go on the attack when you slagged tracks 2-4 because we all have our own tastes, and that’s fine. I’ve been plenty critical of a good many Monkees songs myself — From the 60s, 70s, and especially 80s and 90s

But I don’t understand your contempt for the songs on GT, especially tracks 2 and 3, at all. You slammed them for supposedly being “Kirshner-esque” (Which I don’t agree with), but you like Knockin’ and Grizelda?

I mean, it’s fine if you do. Grizelda’a grungy guitar has that much going for it at least. Knockin’ is almost DWFIL or Ladies Aid bad (to me) though.

We can both like what we like and avoid what we don’t. Personally, “You Bring the Summer” and “She Makes Me Laugh” were stunning (In a good way) and left me speechless the first time I heard them both. Here was the sound they’d been missing in all the previous reunion attempts. Sunny, 60s pop-rock with great vocals, some hints of psychedelia, Mike’s 12 string on one, Peter’s banjo on the other, and some delightfully surreal lyrics on both. Hearing music like that in 2016 made ME laugh, smile, etc.

I said it before, but to me these sound more like songs that could’ve been on Pisces rather than either of the first two albums. But, again, YMMV.

Don’t know, exactly, why I love those two but dislike the two MOTM songs, but I do. Those older songs just seem weak, tossed off, and poorly produced to my ears (A lot of those early Monkees tracks sound cruddy to me). Basically, I think love for the group and care went into those newer songs, the older songs sound like what they are: Product meant to sell cereal to eight year olds in 1966.

Whatever. Let’s agree to disagree, my fellow Wisconsinite.

16. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

[​IMG]

D-rock, Keith V and Grand_Ennui like this.
  17. intv7

intv7 Forum Resident

"Love's What I Want" -- 2.5/5

I'm a big XTC fan, and was thrilled with "You Bring The Summer". This one, not so much. I just don't think it's a real winner of a song at its core -- but I agree there's also a bit of a letdown in production. Not that Andrew does a bad job at all -- his production's fine enough -- it's just lacking the magic of Good Times, and the material he's working with isn't top shelf. Would be a very pleasant album track on a Micky Dolenz solo album. I like the descending chords and melody of that one part ("There's crazy folks out there, who'll take your dreams away"), etc., but most of this song really isn't anything special, and Andy Partridge can do much better than that. Also, I find Micky's retread of "Randy Scouse Git" at the end to be a little cringey.

BZync and The MEZ like this.
  18. Guy Smiley

Dammit,Mick, you should’ve said De Kelley instead!

RobRoyF and Grand_Ennui like this.
  19. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Wish I would have been around to add my 5 to the ratings for Good Times! As I have said it is right up there with their best. For me that starts with Pisces and Head, then this fine effort, HQ and the surprising Missing Links 2 are now (and I suspect will forever be) my top 5.

Lots of good comments about the project and I understand everyone has their own opinion and believe that are entitled to it. One comment I read was about Nez and phoning it in. I know he was not present with the others when participating and I gave I Know, a 3 but this LP has Me and Magdalena and Birth/Hipster on it. Those two make Nez' contribution an A alone but he did backing vocals and his instrumentation appears here as well although not sure if that was only from the 60's tracks. Anyhow, almost caught up, so I will read on!

20. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Agree with a lot of the comments on Love's What I Want and it gets a 3 from me. I do actually listen to it now and then, so technically I need to seek it out as it is not on my GT CD. Seeking out usually is a 4 minimum for me but these are different circumstances as it was a bonus track. Two of the next will get 5's, they are played often and jumping the gun a little, will never understand how the one was not only not on the CD proper but not a big hit as well, it is that good.

The MEZ likes this.
  21. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

"Love's What I Want" sounds like it could have been written by Joey Spampinato as it has a very NRBQ vibe to it. 2.5/5

dangiedr likes this.
  22. Grand_Ennui

Just for the record: I wasn't "going on the attack" against you when I said what I said... But yeah, I do like "Grizelda" for what it is (and it helps because I used to work with somebody, and what he sings about Grizelda adds up to being what this co-worker was... I wasn't too crazy about the co-worker, but the song itself made me think of how she must have been outside of work, because she was "Grizelda" enough at work... So in an indirect way, I lived with the song. :) )

And again, about "Knockin'", while I said it wasn't the worst thing Day ever laid down within the context of The Monkees, I did say it's far from a favorite, so I don't know if that really counts as saying I "like" the song...

But anyway, yes, agree to disagree and all of that...

I'm sure there's more songs that we both do like than some that one might like and the other's not too crazy about, etc. So, I'll leave it at that.:agree:

23. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Love’s What I Want is 2/5

The Randy Scouse callback totally ruins it for me, really bad choice there, does not fit the sentiment of the song and feels forced

Otherwise it’s a decent song and production.

Lonesurf and The MEZ like this.
  24. FredV

FredV Forum Resident

I like the song, I like it. It’s good, but I understand why it’s a bonus cut. It just misses the mark by a touch.

25. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Maybe if I actually owned this song I'd listen to it more and it would grow on me? I don't have the deluxe edition.
    I dislike it. It sounds very forced.
    Love's what I want-- 1/5