Random thoughts on Revolver album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floatupstream, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listen to this on cd for the first time in a while while driving on vacation. Here are some random thoughts. Please post yours.

1) Love the sound of Ringo’s snare on I’m Only Sleeping, She Said and I Want to Tell You. Wonder why it wasn’t consistent throughput the whole album.
    2) Love Lennon’s ADT vocals.
    3) Wish the piano wasn’t so murky on Good Day Sunshine.
    4) George’s guitar on I Want to Tell You sure sounds like a Strat. Maybe someone can confirm?
    5) Lennon’s vocal timbre sure changed from Rubber Soul sessions ( my fave Lennon vocal period) but still blown away by his tunes.Possibly from what he was ingesting?
    6) To me,Help to Rubber Soul to Revolver was the biggest leap in their sound more so than any other year.
    7) What a masterpiece!

2. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

To answer your first question: Ringo would tune his snare differently depending on the song.

Brodnation, bhazen, Tuco and 4 others like this.
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Pretty good little stopgap between Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper.

ronbow, marklamb, majorlance and 2 others like this.
  4. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I have never liked the cover that much...................tooo busy

5. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Used to like it a lot. Now it just sounds dated.

lahtbp, abzach, thnkgreen and 2 others like this.
  6. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I think it's smashing!

Frozensoda likes this.
  7. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

The Parlophone logo on the UK version, which is their best album, feels like an integral part of the cover design; the Capitol logo on the regrettable US version looks tacked on and tacky.

8. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I feel the same. Revolver is my least favorite Beatles album cover, if we begin from when they started having control over their covers i.e. from Rubber Soul on. Not that it's bad, but I never thought it was up to the same standard as their others. I think they went with it to a certain extent because it was Klaus' artwork. If some random artist had made it i'm not so sure they would picked it for the cover.

9. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident Thread Starter

I never noticed such a difference in the snare from track to track on any other album as this one. Also the sustainment on the crash cymbals is like any other album also. Does this come from being heavily compressed? I really notice on She Said, She Said.

2141 likes this.
  10. jwoverho

jwoverho Senior Member

Love the songs, but the ADT gives the stereo version a hollow, metallic, disjointed sound. The mono mix does a good job of making the album sound more cohesive.

11. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

When I do listen to Revolver, I usually jump straight to For No One, which I think is really brilliant.... also like Dr Robert because it rocks....

Once I started listening for it..... McCartney is a much more melodic writer than Lennon is (jmho)....though I probably like more Lennon songs than McCartney songs in the Beatles years...
    I do like Martha My Dear and For No One a lot.....lot going on in there....

painted8, Hermes, FJFP and 1 other person like this.
  12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Yes, Revolver has dated somewhat. However, it's Peppers and Mystery Tour that I feel have dated more and so I tend to play them less.

I still consider Revolver (and Rubber Soul) to be highlights of The Beatles creative output.

lahtbp, lou, ronbow and 9 others like this.
  13. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, I love the record; it's fantastic! But the cover, not so much.

14. Archtop

Archtop Soft Agitation: Dead Crimson Cow.

Well that's a puzzle. Both John and George got Sonic Blue Strats in 1965, but George used a Gibson SG on Paperback Writer/Rain, so I don't know how prevalent the Strat was on the Revolver album itself. His Sonic Blue Strat did become the psychedelically-painted Strat he used for Pepper and Mystery Tour.

While I'd agree that it sounds like it could be a Strat, they used enough processing/effects such that it's difficult to tell. That said; great guitar tone on that track; one of my favorites from the LP and the best George tune by a wide margin.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Floatupstream and 2141 like this.
  15. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Love the album but wish it didn't contain Yellow Submarine.

sbardc, goer, Otisnemes and 14 others like this.
  16. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

That song in particular is very compressed compared to others. Just about every album has songs with different drum sounds. You just have to listen for it.

17. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

8) Yellow Submarine prevents this from being the Beatles very best album.

18. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I love Ringo's drumming on She Said She Said! It's definitely in my fave top 10 of his drum tracks. And yes, the recording is really unique and distinctive. All that compression makes is even more magical. :agree:

19. somnar

somnar Forum Resident

Love the album, in fact sounds among the least dated of all of their records to my ears.

And the sleeve is perfect.

20. clevelanderz

clevelanderz Well-Known Member

Not to hate on Yellow Sub more than it already has been, but I really wish it didn't fall right in the middle of this otherwise masterpiece. I don't HATE the song, but when I'm trying to listen to Revolver it's not really the mood I'm going for.

Love Paperback Writer and Rain...

21. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Cover design, illustrated by their Hamburg friend, Klaus Voormann.

The drawing was influenced by Aubrey Beardsle (inspired from a London exhibition), and the collage used 1964–65 photographs by Robert Freeman.

I've always loved this cover concept. However, two things really annoy me:
    1. The amateurish drawing - Voormann doesn't have Beardele's penmanship.
    2. The photos are dated - from the earlier Beatles visual style. By Revolver they had evolved a different styling.
    If these two elements weren't a problem, the cover could have rivaled Pepper's reputation.

[​IMG]

Hermes and 2141 like this.
  22. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

tomorrow never knows MONO mix is one of my favorite beatle tracks..

FJFP likes this.
  23. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

When I was in high school in the late 70's, the common knowledge was Sgt Pepper was the Beatles masterpiece..at least in the rock press. One of my friends bought Sgt. Pepper, and we listened to it, and I was not impressed. I heard Beatles songs on the radio, and that was fine. It was not until I was in college anc checked out a copy of Revolver from the library that I embraced how good the Beatles were. Since 1981 Revolver has been my favorite Beatles album. The only Beatles album close to it for me is Abbey Road (which is perfect itself). Revolver is my favorite because it seems to be just on the cusp of where the Beatles were exploring and working hard to write great and innovative songs.....and then realizing how good there were. That cusp may also sit between Rubber Soul and Revolver.

24. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Forum Resident

I prefer this cover to any other Beatles album so am surprised to see it viewed quite negatively by some members. I think it captures the musical vibes well. The line drawings also seem to capture the personalities well. The montage of earlier photos gives a feeling of reflectiveness of who The Beatles had been. This is a very conscious album compared to earlier ones.

I think the mono remains the best option but would like to hear a remix. I don't like the remastered stereo with its poor representation of She Said She Said in particular.

This is The Beatles best album for me and possibly the greatest pop/rock album ever in my listening world!

25. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Forum Resident

I don't really dig any of George's tunes

maywitch likes this.