Radiohead album by album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Forum Resident

Agreed--"Bones" is a great track, and apparently very underrated on this album.

I know exactly what you're saying here--it seemed like there were several bands that would come along in the 90's and suddenly you were down this rabbit hole of mysterious fascination with them. That's how it was for me seeing a few PJ Harvey videos and becoming quite fascinated with her. That's the effect that seeing Nine Inch Nails' "March Of The Pigs" video had on me--that it was something raw and visceral and completely dangerous. The video is really a lost art form, even a very simple one.

Also Shudder To Think--great band! Have been thinking of starting a thread on them.

How awesome that you got to see a The Bends-era show as well.

I don't have much use for the lightweight "How Can You Be Sure?"--a nice enough tune but not particularly interesting compared to the rest of the band’s output of the time. "India Rubber" on the other hand has a very addictive drum pattern, and kind of points the way toward some of the experimentation the band would soon do. The looped "Ah HA" laugh part towards the end of the song is somewhat trippy too. Like this track a lot.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    aphexj and ghoulsurgery like this.
  2. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident forum

Some interesting info on this song here, I didn’t know there were live versions out there. I see some are on YouTube. I will track those down.

How Can You Be Sure?

I think it’s the only Radiohead track to feature an outside vocalist. Maybe that’s not the case still but it was for awhile.

I always held a soft spot for this song. Kind of unique in their output. Just a straightforward number with a strong chorus. Makes sense it’s on a movie soundtrack.

I adore India Rubber. Seemed like kind of a throwaway at the time but over time I think of it as fairly experimental for them, building off Thom’s DJ and electronic background in college. In retrospect it’s always seemed more pure and organic than their later attempts to incorporate electronic music into their compositions. Similar to Airbag and other OKC songs where they are flavoring their songs with electronic instruments and sounds instead of building the song from the ground up with electronic production. I think it’s an important distinction as we discuss OKC and Kid A but I bring it up here because it’s totally prototypical to the OKC style of production they’ll later manipulate to great ends.

The drums are truly hypnotic and they have some fun at the end sampling Thom laughing (ironic ain’t it? He’s so angry and serious...at least Meeting People Is Easy have that impression...) But at its root it’s a guitar track and Jonny shines on it too. A real treat and probably one of my top 10 Bsides of all of them.

I love the way IR sounds on the 2000’s US Capital 12”. Telling as I pull it of the shelf that Fake Plastic Trees is one of the only one of theirs I’ve actually opened.

The live tracks were faves when I was a kid. Took me ages to track those down as a cassette trade in the US. Also note that FPT was released in the US as a maxi single with Planet Telex (Hexdecimal) Killer Cars, and FPT (live acoustic). I think that was on the Clueless soundtrack too, right? ‘Complaint Rock’.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. ponkine

ponkine Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've always loved 'Fake Plastic Trees'

Is one of those anthemic songs of the 90s. I remember playing it on guitar a lot in the mid 90s

Here's a great performance of the time

MTV 120 minutes. 16 April 1995

4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Forum Resident

5. ponkine

And here, an earlier performance. Another great one.

2 Meter Session, 27 February 1995
    Included on the 'Best of 10 Years' compilation

[​IMG]

aphexj and Choba b CCCP like this.
  6. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

It's a hell of a lot more than that. Fake Plastic Trees is the best of the pre-OK Computer Radiohead tracks and a huge clue of what was to come.

erowid, domesticmachine and ponkine like this.
  7. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Fake Plastic Trees has been released on a lot of various artists albums, in different live versions.

* Eves club 15-02-95 - Clueless and b-side cdsingle (mentioned above)
    * 2 Meter Sessies 26-02-95, cd Beste uit 10 jaar 2 meter sessies (1997) (mentioned above)
    * live Rock City 05-11-95, cd ep The Bends live (1996)
    * acoustic xmas dec 95, cd Best of KROQ's acoustic christmas (1999)
    * Mtv 120 miutes mrch 96, cd Mtv 120 minutes live (1998)
    * live 27-06-97, cd Tibetan freedom concert (2002)

jalexander, aphexj and ponkine like this.
  8. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Forum Resident

I love The Bends!

While it doesn’t hit the highs of OK Computer/Kid A/In Rainbows for me, it has aged incredibly well and is highly listenable (it may be my most played Radiohead album).

The sequencing is impeccable too. I always thought ending with “Street Spirit (Fade Out)” was akin to that famous edit in Stanley Kubrick’s 2001, where the narrative leaps millions of years from the early humans discovering tools to their spacefaring descendants expanding into the cosmos. A great leap forward for the band and the beginning of their “imperial phase.”

“All these things into position” indeed!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  9. ponkine

Here're more songs performed at the legendary 2 Meter Sessions, 27 February 1995. By far, the best in terms on audio & video quality from The Bends era. And probably about the first "From The Basement" sort of concert

'High & Dry'

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  10. ponkine

'Street Spirit' (fade out)

Actually the last song performed in the set, but not the last one in the broadcast

Choba b CCCP and aphexj like this.
  11. ponkine

'Just' and 'Anyone Can Play Guitar'

Choba b CCCP and aphexj like this.
  12. ponkine

'My Iron Lung' the last song in the broadcast

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  13. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

For me Radiohead had two interesting early albums with a couple of good tracks.

Then three Amazing studio albums (OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac), an OK album (Hail to the Thief), and one more great album (In Rainbows). Then some OK stuff once again.

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Always thought that was Jonny laughing at the end? That's what Colin said on the old messageboard tho he might have been just 'taking the mickey'

"India Rubber" is a great track, for sure, the drum treatments and synth/sampler stuff prefigures what they'd dive more heavily into with OK Computer and onwards

"How Can You Be Sure?" not a favourite of mine, though sometimes I do like hearing the chorus with Dianne Swann's voice harmonizing with Thom

15. ponkine

On 16 May 1995, just one day after 'Fake Plastic Trees' was released, they performed their first 'Later with Jools Holland'. It was broadcasted on 27 May
    In the years to come, they'll perform several memorable sets

Right from their first appearance, they were great

'High & Dry'

16. ponkine

17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

While we’re talking about the Bends, Hayley Williams From Paramore posted a cover of “fake plastic trees.” I don’t particularly care about her music but I did like this bit she wrote about why she did the cover:

they are never beholden to any one version of their expression and public affections don’t seem to sway them. so many times people thought they were at their best only for them to bloom more beautifully into something unexpected and unequivocally better. for a time i pretended to be over Radiohead (iiii knowwww) but good good things always find you and welcome you back. so, in admiration of one of the best bands of all time – and in humility to everyone who did *not* ask for this – here’s a self-serenade of “Fake Plastic Trees”. enjoy it if you can.

Hayley Williams - "Fake Plastic Trees" (Radiohead Cover)

18. Dapper Zoom

Dapper Zoom Forum Resident

I'm not sure how these "album by album" threads work. Am I supposed to wait until you're all talking about a specific album to chime in, or...?

I sort lost track of RadioHead for some reason. I loved the early stuff, and then I think they went where few bands go mood wise on parts of Kid A, Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows. I didn't really care that much for Thom's solo album and the King of Limbs, but thought they were both OK and may need to revisit. I heard a couple of cool things on a Moon Shaped Pool, but much of it didn't resonate with me. What have I been missing? Any new solo efforts? Is Atoms for Peace any good? Any new releases worth mentioning since King of Limbs? (Other than Moon Shaped Pool which I have tried a few times)

19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’d recommend Thom’s Anima LP from last year if you haven’t heard it. I think it’s his strongest solo record, some really amazing songs on it. Ed’s album from this year (as EOB) is pretty cool too.

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yes, we're following the lead of thread-starter @ponkine as they post the albums, and EPs and relevant singles in between, but so far we have covered the first two albums. Feel free to chime in about those!

ponkine likes this.
  21. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

"Pablo Honey" ends with a bang as if The Beatles, finishing their "A Hard Day's Night" LP would have closed it with "A Day In The Life")))

robbroncs likes this.
  22. ponkine

On 7 August 1995, 'Just' was released. It was the fourth single from 'The Bends'. As usual, 2 different CD single versions were out

From 'Exit Music' book:

'Just' was the first successful recording Radiohead made at RAK. Getting the song's demanding dynamic changes down right couldn't have been easy, but with Phil and Colin's powerful support, the guitarists tackle them perfectly. Particularly thrilling is the transition between the overdriven, frantically picked monster-movie guitar break after the second chorus and the cool, chiming chordal part that immediately follows it (played by Thom and Jonny in harmony). Jonny's scorching solo at the end of the song, played on the upper reaches of his Telecaster's fretboard, was recorded while Thom was taking a break. Upon his return, he gave it high marks: "I thought it was the most exciting thing I've ever heard us come up with on tape". The gloriously ugly note at the beginning of the solo, which starts out at a frequency so high it's almost in dogs-only range and then lurches down into subsonic territory, was produced with the help of a new favourite Radiohead toy, the pitch-shifting DigiTech Whammy pedal.

CD 1
    1. "Just" – 3:54
    2. "Planet Telex" (Karma Sunra mix) – 5:23 (remix by U.N.K.L.E.)
    3. "Killer Cars" (Mogadon version) – 3:50 (remix by John Leckie)
    CD 2
    1. "Just" – 3:54
    2. "Bones" (Live) – 3:14
    3. "Planet Telex" (Live) – 4:07
    4. "Anyone Can Play Guitar" (Live) – 3:40

CD1

[​IMG]

CD2. The artwork includes Mario Kreutzberger "Don Francisco" (!). The famous Chilean Television host.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The video for Just blew my teenage mind when I first saw it

24. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

Mogadon version is the ultimate version. I've always loved Killer Cars. but this version is where they got it right.

Alien Ache likes this.
  25. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Same here

ghoulsurgery likes this.