Radiohead album by album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Forum Resident

When I saw them in Santa Barbara on the Moon Shaped Pool tour, they encored with “Planet Telex”, which was fantastic. I have a cell phone video clip of it. Thom’s singing was just slightly off live toward the end—I wonder if he could even hear himself over all the noise?

The Bends stuff sounds so good live. I think they did “Fake Plastic Trees” at that show as well.

CassetteDek and Pop_Zeus like this.
  2. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Yeah I caught the Detroit show in 2018 and they busted out Fake Plastic Trees and The Bends, which were just fantastic. But then Street Spirit as well. It’s in my top 5 concerts ever.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. ponkine

ponkine Forum Resident Thread Starter

Actually 'Kid A' started as back as 1995

The way the band was evolving and changing their sound was simply astounding

By 1994, and onwards, Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood used to play acoustic sets on radio and TV. The great thing about that is they used to play NEW SONGS.
    In this case, 'Motion Picture Soundtrack', played at Dutch VPRO program. 21 April 1995. The song was called 'Crazy' at the time.

Freek999 and Choba b CCCP like this.
  4. ponkine

Here're Thom and Jonny, playing 'My Iron Lung' at MTV most wanted, 1994. Almost a year before 'The Bends' album

5. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Doesn’t the bassline for the national anthem go back even further?

6. tequeyoyo3000

tequeyoyo3000 Well-Known Member

I got into Radiohead through The Bends. I remember In Rainbows was kind of a big deal at the time in my school, so I torrented all of their albums. I remember being in the hallways just utterly amazed at the big spacious sounds in Planet Telex and from then on it was easy sailing. I remember many a night looking at the pitch black sky, sitting in the porch of my house in the middle of a blackout in my native Venezuela, listening to Bullet Proof and Street Spirit. They were objectively bad times, but I look at them fondly now.

7. tequeyoyo3000

tequeyoyo3000 Well-Known Member

yes, Thom wrote that one when he was 17. There's a demo of it on the OKNOTOK cassette, called Anyone. Very rocking! All of the ondes martenot bits were already worked out by Thom on guitar, it was kinda eye opening.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  8. ponkine

On 4 April 1995, Thom & Jonny played in Santa Monica KCRW's 'Morning Become Eclectic' a new song 'Subterranean Homesick Alien'

It was the first 'OK Computer' song performed live. 2 years before its official release. The use of 12 string is just great

9. ponkine

At the same KCWR 4 April session, Thom & Jonny played 2 The Bends songs.

'Street Spirit' (fade out)

(it sounds just BEAUTIFUL with 12 string)

Freek999 likes this.
  10. ponkine

'Bulletproof ... I Wish I Was'

Freek999 likes this.
  11. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Saw them at Summer Sonic 2016. Still the best show I have ever seen. Even have a HQ video of it saved on my computer and done by a small Japanese TV channel, it was temporarily uploaded to Youtube before being copyrighted.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  12. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Beautiful! I’ve never heard that. Really neat arrangement with the 12-string, and only doing the ‘uptight’ part once at the very end. Genius.

Jesus Jeronimo and ponkine like this.
  13. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

I'm very glad to find such topic on this forum: Radiohead is a really wonderful band, which I've been following for about 4 years now. I had known them since Romeo+Juliette soundtrack album, then Kid A impressed me enormously back in 2000. Such a pity that after Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief I lost my interest in the band for about 12 years, but inevitably Spectre single and more significally A Moon Shaped Pool album struck me so much that I returned to them once and for all. Since then I try not to miss anything about them, so I'm going to follow this topic and put down some of my own notions from time to time :goodie:.

Shaddam IV, ghoulsurgery and aphexj like this.
  14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

As awesome as these early acoustic demo/preview versions are, I think for the sake of keeping the thread easy to follow we should stick to talking about songs in the order they actually came out, no?

15. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

Great version! They could easily leave the song like that, never trying to reinvent the approach and it would still be a success, I think.

As for "Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong" I feel an immence early Pink Floyd influence in sound: just pay attention to the drums and it’s almost like Nick Mason sitting behind the kit! Also the guitars give a strong "Astronomy Domine" feel. One of the best early Radiohead tracks by the way.

"Pablo Honey" is nice, but listening to it post-factum is like checking your girlfriend's (wife's) childhood pics: a curious experience, but you cannot truly relate, 'cause you felt in love with quite a different person after all. I mean, nowadays Radiohead is way different and I certainly prefer their current version.

16. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Forum Resident

I got into Radiohead about 2006/2007 actually. I can’ t remember anymore why ....

The Bends and OK computer I really liked but nowadays I don’t listen that much to those albums. In Rainbows is my favorite one , but that’s in fact the only one I dig from Kid A on.

17. Goodmusic

Goodmusic Member

I wrote notes alongside the songs. The one I wrote for "Bones" was "Moving back to the rubbish on Pablo Honey."

18. dirkster

dirkster Forum Resident

Bones

I guess some people aren’t into this song, but amidst all the tall trees on The Bends this is one of those great songs that have to be there in order to think of the album as a classic. A classic album can’t just be 4 singles plus some filler. It’s got to be remarkable from top to bottom.

For the longest time I had no idea what many of the song titles on this album were, other than the ones that were easy to hear, so I had no idea what Thom was going on about. But every time this song starts my brain tingles. That vibrating cracking noise from the guitar, the dry bass and drums, and then that repeating siren effect get me every time. The guitar sound on this track is a monster when it picks up the volume and intensity. Short and succinct, this is a great song and it gives the album an energy boost in its placement in the track order.

lyrics:
    I don't want to be crippled and cracked
    Shoulders and wrists, knees and back
    Ground to dust and ash
    Crawling on all fours
    When you've got to feel it in your bones

Now I can't climb the stairs
    Pieces missing everywhere
    Prozak painkillers

I used to fly like Peter Pan
    All the children flew when I touched their hands
    You see, you've got to feel it in your bones
    You see, you've got to feel it in your bones

19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The “used to fly like Peter Pan” totally elevates the song to something great. Thom is just going all out and his voice sells it.

20. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident forum

The Bends was transformational for me. I wasn’t a Radiohead fan when it came out. Didn’t care for Creep and hadn’t heard anything else. For a 16 year old kid in the US my first exposure to this next chapter was hearing Fake Plastic Trees on the radio a couple times and then seeing the video on MTV. MTV in those days had transitioned to mostly programs (Beavis and Butthead, still a fave). I had TV in my room (I’d purchased it with funds from my paper route) and I could never sleep so I’d stay up late and watch MTV. They played amazing videos from 1-4 AM that all hold sleepless dreamlike mystery to me still - Tom Petty It’s good to be king, Shudder to Think X- French T Shirt and Fake Plastic Trees.

My friends and I were immediately captivated with the song and video, apparently an allegory for death. Thom in the shopping cart. ‘How is this the Creep band?!‘ we’d ask ourselves over and over. They’re genius. I bought the Bends CD and listened to it endlessly. I’d loved records before but none had given me the pure satisfaction as the Bends. There was so much to explore in the lyrics, the art, the B-sides, the instrumentation. I think it really taught me to listen deeper. To separate the instruments in my mind. There was always another corner of this record that was immensely captivating. While I had Parklife and What’s the Story this was coming from a completely different Planet.

I scooped up any press I could find. I still have a RAW magazine from that time that featured a huge spread on the band, the art, their influences. ‘Planet Radiohead’ or something. To this day it’s the only thing I’ve ever shoplifted because I think it was like $15 import or something and I didn’t have that kind of scratch for a magazine. My friends and I poured over it. The AP article was key too.

Alternative Press #87

A lot of kids these days don’t understand the mysterious power a band could hold on you pre- internet. You formed your ideas based on snippets of videos and the music. Seeing them at shows. magazine interviews and physical conversation.

A group of friends and I piled in my Mom’s car on a Wednesday night to finally see them in the flesh at the Edge in Palo Alto 3-19-1996. Easily one of my top gigs although I’ve seen them put on better performances since. They opened with MIL. We were planted in the front near Jonny who had his Brookstone finger massager in full effect for Anyone Can Play Guitar. I’ll never forget his atmospheric keys carrying the chorus of Lift. We were ecstatic when they played Lucky, Ed calmly playing behind the nut and his swooning background vocals. For an encore Thom asked for requests and I was screaming Lurgee. Thom came close to my girlfriend and put his hand over his ear to hear her over the noise. She requested Subterranean Homesick Alien a song we’d only read the title of in one of those magazines and I clearly remember him looking at her in equal parts amazement and disgust - how do you know about that song?! He joked about playing India Rubber (I really wish they’d played that in retrospect.) and they ended up playing You. Did see Lift, I promise, and Maquiladora that night among Bends and Pablo Honey faves.

Anyway. Sure OKC is their masterpiece and they did some interesting things afterwards but the Bends is the one for me that demonstrated to me how deeply the power of music could resonate. It made me an active listener and that album was the hub of a group of friends in my formative years. I can’t pick it up without just being wowed by it. Planet Telex and the way it explodes out of the speakers, Thom drunk under the pool table giving the vocals everything he has. The weird family band field recording before The Bends kicks in. Fake Plastic Trees is still otherworldly to me, alien no matter how many times it’s been sung in stadiums full of people not hitting the notes.

I’ll always be in awe at the leap from their prior work to what they had done with that one. Only a handful of bands even get a chance, and they delivered a sophomore triumph for the ages. Truly remarkable record.

21. dirkster

dirkster Forum Resident

I love the way that music is autobiographical. Great review!

22. ponkine

One such important thing around 'The Bends' is the stylistic change for the band. Not only sonically but visually as well

A friend of Thom from the art school days, 'Stanley Doonwood' (UK artist, his real name is Dan Rickwood) was asked to design 'My Iron Lung' EP artwork in 1994. He's designed all the Radiohead artwork ever since

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LarsO, Binni, Chrome_Head and 2 others like this.
  23. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I never knew that wasn’t his real name!

CassetteDek and Choba b CCCP like this.
  24. ponkine

On 15 May 1995, 'Fake Plastic Trees' was released. It was the third single from 'The Bends'
    2 CD versions were release. CD1 with B-sides, and CD2 with acoustic versions by Thom & Jonny at Eve Club in London

From the 'Exit Music' book:

Thom recorded the basic track of 'Fake plastic trees' by himself on acoustic guitar and vocal in a single take. One of the microphones Leckie used to record Thom's guitar, a Neumann U67, began to crackle as Yorke was playing, but the performance was so outstanding that it was decided not to redo the part.
    (...) the main impetus for getting Thom to nail a definitive version of 'Fake plastic trees' was the fact that the strings were scheduled to come in the next day.

"They knew they wanted a string quartet kind of thing, — Leckie remembers, — but the day before the players came in, they still hadn't decided what songs they should play on — Jonny was still writing the parts. For 'Fake plastic trees', I think he was inspired by [20th-century American composer] Samuel Barber. The strings originally went all over the verses, very sustained, with changes in mood and texture. What we did in the end was take almost all of that away, except for a couple of parts".

Besides coming up with the subtle string arrangement for 'Fake plastic trees' (the writing of which he later described as "my studio highlight, in a megalomaniac kind of way"), Jonny also contributed a magisterial series of chords on Hammond organ

CD 1

1. "Fake Plastic Trees" – 4:52
    2. "India Rubber" – 3:26
    3. "How Can You Be Sure?" – 4:21
    CD 2

1. "Fake Plastic Trees" – 4:52
    2. "Fake Plastic Trees" (acoustic) – 4:41
    3. "Bullet Proof..I Wish I Was" (acoustic) – 3:34
    4. "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" (acoustic) – 4:26

CD1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CD2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shaddam IV, jalexander, Binni and 2 others like this.
  25. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

and again 2 great b-sides.
    How Can You Be Sure was a japanese bonustrack on The Bends, but with a different title: "When I'm Like This".