Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Premium 300Bs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Adeep, Jan 24, 2020.

1. KT88

KT88 Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Exactly. Ditto for GEC KT66, Mullard EL34 XF1 or XF2, Mullard GZ34 F31 or F32, etc...

3. jsr

jsr Forum Resident

You wont be disappointed

4. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident Thread Starter

The AN tubes arrived yesterday. Damn, I am always blown away when a small change in my system makes a huge difference. It's really extraordinary, the musicality, the space between the notes, the clarity, the soundstage are all enhanced. jsr you are so right.

5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Warren, while I do believe that much can be accomplished by preamp tubes, I am completely in your court when it comes to the importance of power tubes. A power tube does make a tube amplifier, period.

Which is why I don't consider hybrid designs which employ tube or tubes in the preamp stage and solid state, usually class "D" amplification as the final power stage, as tube amplifier's at all.

Before I purchased my 6SN7 tube preamplifier, I used a SS Peachtree Nova and iNova as my DAC and class "A" preamp, driving KT88 monoblocks.

Even now, I still use the iNova as the overall system source selector and system DAC for all things digital.

The iNova is still used to feed content into the tube preamp stage, for digital sources.

6. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

There is some NOS WE 300B for sale on here posted by Hammr7.
    I'm the one that found them digging through someones attic.

BillWojo

7. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy "catch me if you can..."

how are they liking it? is it like a different material they use inside?

8. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident Thread Starter

After my success with the AudioNote 300Bs in my main system, I sprung for Psvane Acme WE 300Bs for my other system. A tad less expensive than the ANs but far from cheap.
    Another winner!!!!! Definitely worth the investment.

9. Classic Car Guy

I'm gonna buy 2 more 300b tubes before things go out of control in shipping.
    anyone tried this acme?
    [​IMG]

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Mastering Engineer Your Host

I have some nice Full Music 300B's. What does the "n" stand for in 300B/n, do you know?

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

IIRC, the "N" inexplicably designates the mesh plates version. No idea what it stands for.

12. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I run Psvane Black Bottles. They sound great, but I have not compared them to anything, FWIW.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

I have all three versions of the Full Music 300b's, the mesh, regular and some other one. Haven't had a 300b amp for years so I can't comment on sound, but I do remember the mesh plates sounded the least like an actual 300b from WE. They sounded great, but not like a WE.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  14. Classic Car Guy

I don't know Mr. Hoffman. I'm not sure what the N stands. I'm like a newbie on the 300b amp. So far I'm using just a stock (regular) psvane. Together with my speaker setup, it just sounds really good, Stunningly the basslines are superb. I wasn't expecting that in this amp.
    its a very big sound that's how I can describe it.
    The tube in the picture is going for $165.00 a piece...

15. Classic Car Guy

They emailed me and gave me the close-up of the tube. Its a mesh. that's what the N stands for.. altleast in their own version. I was looking at the western electric 30's and looks just like a copy...

[​IMG]

Ham Sandwich and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

17. Classic Car Guy

looks like not exactly a mesh but a "mesh plate" :unhunh:

18. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

The EAT 300b’s are about the best currently available valves that I’ve heard although if AirTight are using the Takatsuki valves then they can’t be bad.

The best I’ve ever heard though was the original pre-war Western Electric 300b but they’re about as common as bottles of pre blight Bordeaux and quickly becoming almost as expensive...

19. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

but fortunately you don't have to check to see if they have been re-corked...

Benzion and caracallac like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

The best are Takatsuki, Elrog, and EML.

21. caracallac

The ELROG looks like an excellent product, but a 300b with out the curves just seems somehow wrong. :whistle:

22. Strat-Mangler

I don't listen with my eyes. :cool:

23. Classic Car Guy

If I only knew im gonna end up on this type of amp, I would have saved up tubes like I did on el34's and kt88.
    Tubes of the same type, name and structure can sound different from each other in a certain way wether its good or bad. I have one group of 19 pieces kt88 all new and generic. On this stash, I'm able to pick atleast 2 to 3 that's sounds like gold.
    If I can only afford to do this on the 300b, that'll be good. Unfortunately 200 bucks min a pop, is probably not a good idea.
    I don't know man. another long journey. sometimes it sucks to be a newbie....:biglaugh:
    I wont really stress myself out getting a backup tube if I'm not hearing something really sweet and pleasing on this amp.
    I was listening to steve winwood - don't you know what the night can do? I'm so blown away in the organist part....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  24. caracallac

True, but I just love the glow of a warm valve in a darkened room and it all adds to the experience. Haut-Brion is still a magnificent wine if drunk from a plastic cup, but how much nicer is it to drink it from Lalique crystal.:love:

25. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'll take a Bass Ale in a glass mug.

Mick Jones and caracallac like this.