Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Yup, I put the speakers together myself and it was a ton of work. It took me about 5 months to get it all together, life tended to get in the way. The only thing I didn’t do was build the crossover, my soldering skills were only beginner level at the start of the project and I didn’t want to risk ruining any of the components since COVID has put huge delays on replacement parts. I’m happy to say my soldering has gotten much better after wiring up everything.

The Achromat was from my old Thorens table. I do prefer it over the stock mat, but I haven’t compared it to anything else.

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Cobra Kai Member

[​IMG]

Added a SUT thanks to the spiritual guidance of @Rolltide , it’s out of sight just behind the phono with the lid off. It’s staying off for a bit to accommodate some tube rolling that should be happening shortly.

I’m going to pull everything, add some wood sides to that Mac 4100 and rethink the equipment positioning.

undeR the table may be.....VPI ADS >MAC> Cambridge spinner/Rotell DAC stack and then the Phonostage on the bottom. I think I can pull off the phono that far from the table now that I have a SUT on 1 meter RCA’s. For looks, I think the MAC on top is the best option.

layman, Dan C, gov and 23 others like this.
  3. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Thanks, that’s what I was going for! I think I need to add a few house plants, but I’m pretty much there.

Rick58, jonwoody and Dennis0675 like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Cobra Kai Member

5. Ingres3225

Ingres3225 Well-Known Member

I agree, looks great- what sort of music are you listening to on that set up? And, once you'd constructed the speakers and subs, did you get the sound you were looking for?

6. bever70

bever70 It's all about the soundstage

Great variation on the flexy-rack, fits the speakers perfect :righton:.

action pact, gguy, PhilBiker and 2 others like this.
  7. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

As I finally managed to get pictures in here , why not placing them in here too[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

layman, PTgraphics, GyroT and 55 others like this.
  8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Bravo!

9. jonwoody

jonwoody Forum Resident

Looks great those KEF's are gorgeous and nice to see some EC gear you don't see it that much these days! At least here in the US you don't.

WHitese and Mr.Sign like this.
  10. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I mostly listen to classic rock, rap, metal, and punk. What surprised me the most is how much better rap sounds, all the boomy bass is gone and everything tightens up. Vocals have much more weight and presence.

To be honest I took a leap of faith with these speakers. I had heard OB speakers before (Spatial M3 Turbo) and knew that was the direction I wanted to go in. I've read in various threads that once you hear OB bass you never go back, and I can confirm this. I don't want to make any big statements regarding the sound overall, as the crossover components need extensive burn-in (about 100 hours per GR) and I only have about 30 hours on the speakers.

As far as negatives go, the speaker system is very revealing and unforgiving of any weakness in the signal path. Speaker placement and room acoustics are very critical. Issues that I heard with my previous speakers that I was able to ignore are amplified much more, making it hard to ignore. I got a pretty good laundry list of items I need to work on. The good news is that with every positive change I make I yield much more in return.

Tim 2, Ingres3225 and pdxway like this.
  11. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Hi jonwoody,
    I think they (EC) have stopped their U.S. activity about a yeat ago

jonwoody likes this.
  12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    Hung some pictures during Isaias fallout yesterday

layman, GyroT, fcallington and 35 others like this.
  13. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I am not usually one to request anything of anyone, but I humbly request you record your system playing the opening minute of Dead Prez's "Hip Hop" at the highest volume your nervous system can withstand.

Madness, action pact and jonwoody like this.
  14. Ventoux

Ventoux Forum Resident

Looks
    mine is gas with remote. I designed the mantel and gave my contractor a sketch. Samsung "Frame" TV above too.

Tim 2 and PhilBiker like this.
  15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

You win.

apesfan, PhilBiker, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    It’s getting there....

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Can we get a better look at the oil painting that's directly above the hifi, please?

18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]

19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Here’s my portrait of Pigpen from college, hanging to the left
    [​IMG]

PhilBiker, Cassius, 33na3rd and 12 others like this.
  20. jonwoody

jonwoody Forum Resident

Pigpen never looked so good! :D And love the room it's looking great and significantly less blue.

oboogie, alan967tiger and fishcane like this.
  21. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I'm digging the room... absolutely love the blue rug.

fishcane and jonwoody like this.
  22. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

VERY nice! First thing I notice (after the gear) is the nice Taylor acoustic and cello ... I don't see the FM3 mentioned in your info, I have one too ... somewhere. (Gear is in flux/not set up yet.)

fishcane likes this.
  23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Thanks!
    The fm3 is in another room. The am/fm for this room is through the Fisher 500. There is actually 4 separate listening options in this room( headphone turntable is 0ut of pic next to the couch. It’s a Thorens 318-bottlehead crack-sennheiser) The Fisher handles radio and turntable duty into Kg4, the dedicated Dynaco is Sony SACD into St70 then a25. The Curcio mono blocks feed the denon single disc unit(as well as a split off the turntable) into the Cornwalls.

trd and Rick58 like this.
  24. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Ah, I plan on having 2 options in my new house in ID (whenever I can get it set up): my current Parasound P 7 -> Bottlehead 300B Paramounts -> Triangle Titus (plus sub) and P 7 -> A 21 -> MA Silver 8s (with or without sub?). May explore other speakers too ... sources will be Thorens TD-145 (w/ Denon DL-160 cart) or Cambridge 840C (with other digital into its DAC). I should find and hook up the FM3 as well! I got it for $35, thought it a great bargain!

fishcane likes this.
  25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Jeebus!

fishcane likes this.