Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Poll: Best Opeth album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Metal MD, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let me know what you think. I really like it with a big glass of wine at night. It's a great, smooth album.

Heck yeah, let me know what you think. One of my all-time favorite bands already. Both their 1st and 2nd albums are absolute gold.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I was similar when it comes to harsh vocals. Took a long time for me to enjoy them. I just kept coming back to their music and the beautiful clean vocals and acoustic parts. Now, I love all of it. Just takes time. Glad to hear you're getting into their earlier work.

Hell yeah! Great to see.

I hear you! I love their new prog rock sound. I think it is only going to get better from here now that they have some more support for it after Pale Communion.

2. stefanmathiasson

stefanmathiasson Forum Resident

I am a fairly new Opeth fan, only having been listening for a few months. I've known about them since around when Blackwater Park came out, but then I was a stubborn death metal fan who thought all bands that mixed clean vocals and growls were wimps. Luckily I've gotten more open minded with age and now listen to many different genres, but metal always close to my heart.

My neighbor had seen them at this year's Sweden Rock Festival and praised their performance so I thought I should give them a shot. I started of with Ghost Reveries since I remembered that I kind of like The Grand Conjuration. I was floored immediately and continued to browse through all the albums. I think their musical progression is really amazing and Pale Communion is really a great album. Mikael's singing is really great on Cusp of Eternity. It was really hard to pick on album in the poll, but my vote finally fell on Blackwater Park. I think the songs and tracking order is perfect.

I saw the 25th anniversary show in Stockholm this past Sunday and that was one of the best shows I've seen. They really are fantastic musicians. And to hear Ghost Reveries from start to finish was awesome. Can't wait for the next gig.

Opeth likes this.
  3. Dr. Metal MD

I'm incredibly envious that you caught that show. Good for you. I hope they put out a DVD/Blu Ray/vinyl set for one of these shows. Cusp of Eternity is probably my favorite track off of PC. Amazing, one-of-a-kind band. Can't wait for my next opportunity to see them live.

4. Dr. Metal MD

stefanmathiasson likes this.
  5. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I agree with half of your statement..............:D I want to thank you for continuing this thread. I pulled out Still Life the other night. What a great album.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  6. stefanmathiasson

stefanmathiasson Forum Resident

Really nice to hear that a new album is in the works, and I agree with you, I can't wait either even though I love old Opeth too. But I think Mikael gave a really good answer. If it benefits the song, then yes there will be harsh vocals, if not then no.

7. Dr. Metal MD

Haha cheers! Great thread indeed, spreading the Opeth-love. They're a once in a lifetime band, that's for sure.

I didn't even know they're already talking about a new album for 2017. He's probably brimming with prog ideas that he wants to try (hopefully). I agree with you. It's unlikely they're going to do something that heavy anytime soon where it would require growling vocals.

8. slipkid

slipkid Forum Resident

Pale Communion by far for me. I continue to be blown away by it. Killer songs, great playing...

Btw, my first Opeth album was Blackwater Park. I bought it because I read rave reviews about it, and heard Steven Wilson was involved with making the album ( I love Porcupine Tree so figured I would dig this too). However, I had no idea that it had the godawful and ridiculous cookie monster "vocals" though. Man that was a shock. I cannot handle that at all. I tried to give it away to several hard rock/metal friends but no one wanted it (because of the growling). Ended up selling/trading it in at local music shop for probably $1-2.

9. Dr. Metal MD

Spinning my copy of Morningrise right now. Probably one of the best pressings that I own. It sounds absolutely fantastic, especially the acoustic guitars. It's the recent Back on Black pressing on black vinyl. Probably my favorite from this epic album:

10. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Morningrise is my favorite. I love Mikel's more black metal style vocals. And the song "Black Rose Immortal" is one of my favorite songs in all of metal. I'm not very fond of the direction Opeth has taken with the last few albums. For me, those first three are the best and I listen to 'em all the time. But Morningrise edges out the other two by a very slight margin. Great, great album!

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  11. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Don't like the growls and love hi-rez multichannel so Pale Communication it is.

danielbravo and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  12. Dr. Metal MD

Growls took me forever to get into, but I'm more metal-inclined anyway. Pale Communion has been on repeat spins for quite awhile since its release. I haven't listened to the blu ray 5.1 yet, but I know the vinyl, especially the EU pressing, sounds phenomenal.

13. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

"Pale Communion" is impeccable, in my opinion the best of all their discography. Wow this is a good album!

My favorites are in this order:

1-Pale Communion
    2-Heritage
    3-Damnation

The rest is interesting (although I do not like death metal and guttural voices)

I listened with interest this band for their musical complexity and the quality of its musicians. A good friend introduced me to the music of Opeth with their first albums...
    However these three albums I mention are my favorite and are on my list of the most appreciated in my collection.

14. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

People need to realize that there are clean vocal songs spread throughout their earlier albums, there are lots of riches to be found on the albums prior to Heritage (and I'm not just talking about Damnation).

Opeth songs with clean vocals (not including Damnation, Heritage and Pale Communion)

To Bid You Farewell (Morningrise)
    Madrigal (instrumental - My Arms Your Hearse)
    Credence (My Arms Your Hearse)
    Epilogue (instrumental - My Arms Your Hearse)
    Benighted (Still Life)
    Face Of Melinda (Still Life)
    Harvest (Blackwater Park)
    Patterns In The Ivy (Blackwater Park)
    A Fair Judgement (Deliverance)
    For Absent Friends (instrumental - Deliverance)
    Atonement (Ghost Reveries)
    Hours Of Wealth (Ghost Reveries)
    Isolation Years (Ghost Reveries)
    Coil (Watershed)
    Burden (Watershed)
    Porcelain Heart (Watershed)
    Hex Omega (Watershed)

There are also several songs that only have short sections of the death vocals, but the remainder is primarily clean...a couple examples:

Derelict Herds (Watershed)
    The Drapery Falls (Blackwater Park)

Dr. Metal MD and Opeth like this.
  15. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Excellent post progrocker. Each opeth song is a treasure trove of light and dark. So many different kinds of musical passages throughput their albums ... Each of them can tie in musically with any other album I feel. Mikael is a musical genius.

progrocker71 likes this.
  16. progrocker71

You know, about 7 years ago I was convinced that I would never find a new "favorite band" again. While I enjoyed quite a few modern bands nothing was really connecting at that primal level that I experienced when I was younger. I thought it was just part of growing older.

Then my appreciation of Porcupine Tree led me to Opeth. At first the melodic material appealed to me and the death vocals were problematic. But I stuck with it and eventually developed the taste for that juxtaposition. The more I listened to Opeth the deeper my appreciation grew and not too long after I realized they were indispensable to my existence. Like magic...I found that elusive "favorite band" again. That has only deepened in the years since, as I've listened to their albums countless times and seen them in concert twice (and I'm going again next week to the 25th anniversary show in Los Angeles). Rarely does a week go by where I don't at least listen to a few Opeth tracks.

The other bonus is that deep appreciation of their music has allowed me to discover other bands that I feel are essential to my existence, like basically anything Steven Wilson does and also I'm well on my way to adding Riverside and Big Big Train to my list of favorite bands. With all the great progressive rock music coming out over the past several years I feel like I'm witnessing a golden age again, I didn't think I would ever find this many new albums to love...I'm so happy I was wrong.

Thanks Mikael...and Steven.

17. Flipje

Flipje Forum Resident

I only have their 'Pale Communion' album and I like it! Got introduced to Opeth years ago by a friend.
    Bought 'Still Life' because of the 5.1 mix but I gave it to my friend because he is the real fan and didn't have the 5.1 yet. Last Wednesday my friend took me to a concert in Utrecht as a birthday present. A great, almost 3-hour show in a relatively small venue. I hope they will return to the Netherlands next year!

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

if I may suggest…Anathema, Katatonia and maybe some Amorphis, all three are in the Opeth ballpark but unique in their own way

19. progrocker71

I'm familiar with Katatonia and Anathema. The last couple albums by Enslaved have a definite Opeth vibe to them, though it's more of a black metal/prog metal hybrid. They use the melodic clean voice/gargle with battery acid voice juxtaposition. The arrangements don't have the complexity of Opeth but I like the overall approach.

For the more recent Opeth albums like Heritage and Pale Communion there is some similarity in instrumental sounds and approach with Anekdoten, though they are a little more "retro" than Opeth is, definitely in the King Crimson Larks/Starless/Red ballpark.

four sticks and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  20. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

My own experience with Opeth was very similar. When I thought that I had heard it all and was beginning to get bored with music, I discovered Blackwater Park. This was almost 15 years ago and I haven't felt that same sense of musical despair since.

progrocker71 likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

I'm listening to Portal of I for the first time - WOW, amazingly versatile band with chops to spare. Thanks for the tip :cheers::cheers:.

22. Dr. Metal MD

Glad you're digging it. When I first discovered them, I was absolutely blown away. Definitely check out their second album, Citadel when you can. Stunning band. The sky is the limit for them.

Deuce66 likes this.
  23. Dr. Metal MD

Just getting around to listening to this. Really liking what I'm hearing thus far. Thanks for sharing.

24. Dr. Metal MD

Listening to Ghost Reveries on vinyl (the 2013 reissue on black) right now. It sounds astounding. In my opinion, Opeth does not have a single bad record. I love every one of their albums, and each one is very different from one another once you've listened to them enough. Definitely cannot say this about most of the bands I listen to.

Opeth likes this.
  25. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Damnation

Listening to it now, in fact...:)

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.