Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

[Poll] Best $1000–Class Turntable(s)? (pick up to three)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Subagent

Subagent All I know is What I Read in the Liner Notes

Both paragons of their respective design philosophies at that price point, it would seem. I probably can't argue too much with that.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  2. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Used VPI Scout.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  3. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow Pretentious Member

This may be a stupid question. But do any of these tables have auto-return? I ask because the table I want to get I listen to as I go to sleep most nights. And very often I don't finish a side and certainly don't want to get up every time I am asleep :).

4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Hmm, this is sort of a 'blind spot' for me, as auto-return or auto-lift is a feature I personally don't much need or care about.

That said, I think the vast majority of 'serious' TTs don't have it. Though Technics did just announce the SL-1500C (for $1399) which will have auto-lift (and probably similar sound quality to a SL1200Mk7. Also comes with a phono preamp and an Ortofon 2M Red).

There are also aftermarket auto-lift doohickeys like the ones shown below. You'd have to do your own research as to which ones work well or don't. There are probably threads here on this forum about them. HTH. :thumbsup:

The Q UP

http://www.expressimoaudio.com/Chuck.m4v

Bananas&blow likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Forum Resident

Auto lift and auto-return are far more prevalent on vintage tables.

Besides the upcoming 1500C, there are the Denon tables like the 300F which are a bit cheaper than those listed in the poll.

Can't think of any others off the top of my head. An aftermarket device like @Cyclone Ranger might be the way to go if those don't suit your needs or you don't want to go vintage.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  6. Davey

Davey like smoke from a lithium dream

There are other models from Lenco and Teac and Dual ...

[​IMG]

Bananas&blow and patient_ot like this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I appreciate this price range definition. It's been funny to me seeing every piece of gear I have been able to entertain described as "entry-level" seemingly regardless of price. How much does one need to spend to get out of "entry-level" for this stuff?

I also appreciate the confirmation that I am right in thinking that upgrading from my $200 Fluance is probably only worthwhile if I jump over that "dangerous and sad no-man's land" range you describe. I think the range represented in this poll is likely my next step (unless I really treat myself and go even further, at which point I probably start to panic every time the dog walks past it).

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

...if the damn thing ever sees the market. How long have they been teasing this? I appreciate the time that has evidently gone into development, but why show anything before being closer to having it ready?

9. Cyclone Ranger

To build buzz and hype prior to release? My guess, anyway.

Last I heard, they're talking about releasing the Sol in April... if anyone has newer information on this, pls post.

Big Blue likes this.
  10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Maybe, and that strategy may work out. I am just at this point assuming it's possible the whole thing has been a joke all along and not a real product. I did vote for it in the poll, because it's an intriguing design with some nice features, so if it actually is released in April, it will probably get a good look from me.

11. Davey

Maybe be released on April 1, that's the Schitt way :)

It does seem kind of like an unfinished product in the pictures. Customer support required would probably be a nightmare for a low overhead business.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Cyclone Ranger

One thing I really like about the Sol: adjustable on-the-fly VTA. :agree:

Quite rare for 'tables in this price class. In fact, can anyone think of some other TTs in the class that have it? I can't seem to remember any. :oops:

Big Blue likes this.
  13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

No. Also nice are the swapable arm tubes for easy switching of carts. In theory, this should be preferable sonically to removable headshells but almost as convenient. I have not seen this on anything in a sub-VPI price range, and I assume VPI charges way more for the arm tubes than the "couple hundred bucks" I heard Schiit talk about.

I don't think I am wild about the physical configuration from a practical perspective (mainly dust cover concerns...), but these high-end tonearm features are a big part of what would make me consider working through that.

14. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

WELL TEMPERED SIMPLEX

15. Cyclone Ranger

$2000 'table last I checked, i.e. too expensive for the poll. :oops:

16. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

Hmmm, last year I bought a dealer demo Amadeus for $1,500. Just figured with a bit of luck, the entry level Simplex could be had for
    less. Not the latest (mk 2) version brand new, but perhaps the original (full golf ball) mk 1. Cheers -Don

17. Cyclone Ranger

Yah, with luck, but re-read post #1.

Prices have to be MSRP, otherwise a poll for $1000 TTs becomes about closeout/demo/open-box/on-sale $1500-$2000 TTs instead. o_O

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    JohnCarter17 likes this.
  18. Cyclone Ranger

Fortunately, there's a widely-available and good-sounding loophole to the 'Dangerous and Sad No-Man's Land' price-class TTs... used Technics SL1200Mk2/3/5s, for around $500 or so.

You do have to inspect them in-person to verify they're in good shape, but there's so many of them out there, and they're built like tanks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  19. Cyclone Ranger

Looks like the Planar 3's gonna hit 100 votes.

Nice job, Rega. :thumbsup:

20. Cyclone Ranger

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    patient_ot likes this.
  21. Cyclone Ranger

The Schiit guys at an October trade show talkin' 'bout the Sol TT... aka the alleged 'Rega Planar 3 killer', to hear some early reviews.

Some details dropped: they're aiming for a $700-ish price tag, and hope to get it out in Q1 (which to me means 'March 31' :p).

Sol-talk is from 1:40 to 15:15 on the vid. Is occasionally NSFW, i.e. they swear sometimes, and beer may be involved :laugh: .

22. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

Costs almost as much as a new Technics SL-1500C. Not worth that price. The Lenco's not very good, nor is the Teac.

patient_ot likes this.
  23. Davey

I think the Dual is about the same price as the 1200 Mk7 at just under $1000 euro, apparently made in Germany and does have some nice features. Don't necessarily disagree with your assessment, but I only posted in response to a question about whether there were any other auto return/lift/shutoff decks available. I haven't used any of the ones I mentioned, or even any listed in the poll, to be honest.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

That Dual is pricey for the actual quality of turntable you get. If this was $500, I'd be OK with it. The Technics is that much better for the price. If you want that Dual, get a used one (same basic design's been around since the middle 1980's. and available in nice shape for fair prices).

patient_ot likes this.
  25. Cyclone Ranger

strategical bump