Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Scottb

Scottb Forum Resident

Strange as I have a lot of CD's that are DR8 but don't sound that bad. Also going from the track before which is DR 12 then to DR8 is a big drop in dynamics and a really crappy way to end the CD.

Futurecity and croquetlawns like this.
  2. Scottb

Scottb Forum Resident

Yes I agree and like the mix it's the loudness that bothers me. You don't have to make it so loud to make it sound punchier.

jonnyslb likes this.
  3. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Let's see in box set, but probably will be the same. My complain is about US and them, for me the vocals are lower.

Scottb likes this.
  4. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

United States and them?:)

Buran1988 and jonnyslb like this.
  5. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Good Point! It's an auto correction from cell phone! Roger would agree!:D:D:D

6. I’m inclined to agree with you, I like the fact that it hits right between the eyes (ears).

7. It will end up sounding less punchy because you have to turn the volume down, and the loss of dynamics will cause the music to sound flatter and less alive.

JulesRules, Jam757 and NunoBento like this.
  8. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Interesting, so Run Like Hell (Live) is actually a DR 8. I can usually listen to DR 8 CDs...yes, they are heavily compressed, but they're not brickwalled IMO. It's typically DR 4-7 that numbs my ears and gets me thinking about tossing out the CD!

Run Like Hell (Live) still sounds much louder than the other DR 8 tracks on the Highlights CD though, so who knows what's the deal with that track?

Jam757 likes this.
  9. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Same Here. (Except that I'm 48)

:righton:

NunoBento likes this.
  10. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Buran1988 likes this.
  11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I haven’t compared closely or blasted the album yet but i bought it on iTunes and havent (yet perhaps) noticed a difference between Run Like Hell and the other songs.

But that might’ve been because i did not oay close attention.

coffeetime likes this.
  12. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

The box is already on sale in Croatia for couple of days now - the price roughly 350 euros.

13. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

[​IMG]

My review of Pink Floyd’s 5-CD/5-DVD-6-Blu Ray box set, The Later Years, today at All About Jazz.

On January 10, 1994, Pink Floyd announced its upcoming North American tour in support of what would be its second studio album following the 1984 departure of bassist and band co-founder Roger Waters, The Division Bell (Columbia/EMI), a little more than two months before its release on March 28 of the same year. The first of two 196 foot-long, 67-foot high, 7,000 pound (without the helium) painted airships made a record-breaking, three-week trip from North Carolina to Los Angeles, with the message:

"I am authorized to read this message: You have spotted the Pink Floyd airship. Do not be alarmed. Pink Floyd have sent their airship to North America to deliver a message. The Pink Floyd airship is on its way to a destination where all will be explained upon arrival. Pink Floyd will communicate."

Let it never be said that post-Waters Pink Floyd did anything on a small scale.

According to the band's manager at the time, Steve O'Rourke, in a short video about the promotional event included in Pink Floyd's 18-disc The Later Years box set, two large freight ships were, at the same time, on their way to North America from England. They would be met by 56 tractor trailers, which would transport the stage, sound and group equipment to an undisclosed location, ultimately provided by the US Air Force (later disclosed as Norton Air Force Base in San Bernardino, CA) for two months of development and rehearsals. It was one of the largest hangars in the world, and the Air Force had to empty all the planes before Pink Floyd's production team could move in.

Let it never be said that post-Waters Pink Floyd did anything on a small scale.

Plans for the tour began a year earlier in January '93, as the band was working on the album, and just finding a rehearsal space was a challenge. The plans were for an entire stage that would be 200 feet wide (including the two PA towers on either side), housing the 120-foot wide, 80 foot high arch in which the band would perform, including state of the art lighting and a large, rotatable, round screen, located near the top of the arch, for the many 70mm films, created by Storm Thorgerson (aka, with and Aubrey Powell, and later Peter Christopherson, Hipgnosis), that would accompany many of Pink Floyd's songs, old and new.

Let it never be said that post-Waters Pink Floyd did anything on less than a grand scale.

Following the three-week promotional tour, where the airship was seen over a number of American cities, it returned to Weeksville, NC, where a sudden and severe storm destroyed the airship on June 27 1994.

Let it never be said that post-Waters Pink Floyd did anything on less than a grand scale.

Continue reading here...

14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’m highly underwhelmed here. I would never shell out over $400 for a bunch of blu rays and DVDs. In looking at the double vinyl, remixes of previously released tracks is never a good idea in my opinion. There was nothing wrong with the originals. I happen to like most/all of post-Waters Floyd output but this just isn’t doing for me. We still need:

1. Animals in 5.1
    2. Meddle is 5.1 (a proper release not done buried file)
    3. Is There Anybody Out There Deluxe vinyl boxset
    4. The Dark Side live show from ‘74 on vinyl

15. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

Fair enough...but without the actual box in your hands (and with the knowledge that it is, indeed, a very pricey box (as I mention in the review), it’s hard for you to make any assessments of it, no? Not trying to be difficult, just saying that I was less a post-Waters fan when I went into this, and have been converted... :)

16. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

And The wall live 1980 Dvd/Blu-Ray

JulesRules, NunoBento and Jam757 like this.
  17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Good article, there’s definitely some great material included in this set. I want stand alone blu ray releases of the Delicate Sound, Momentary Lapse, and Pulse 5.1. Will this ever happen? Sadly, probably not.

John Kelman likes this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

And The Wall movie blu ray which oddly we’ve still never received. This product alone would sell in the millions of units!!??

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. ponkine

ponkine Forum Resident

Puls Live at Wembley 1974 COMPLETE standalone release 2CD + Blu Ray, inc. 5.1 mix

Also, The Wall Live 1980/81 on Blu Ray and Meddle 'Immersion' set

:wave:

20. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

The Wall 5.1 mix, the movie I can live without it!

formu_la likes this.
  21. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

The box is huge. And heavy.

Here's the back cover insert:
    [​IMG]

22. Wow! I can’t wait. :righton:

mark winstanley likes this.
  23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

DR 8 is totally unacceptable. Period. That is borderline ear bleeding pain on any CD for me.

formu_la and ponkine like this.
  24. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades Well-Known Member

Millions? Possibly several thousand in today's music industry.

25. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Music industry doesn't have much to do with it. It's a cult film so it's not going to be a big seller. Plus there are plenty of people who have it on DVD already that won't understand why they need to now buy it on blu-ray, or just feel that the DVD is good enough (and honestly, the DVD isn't that bad so I get it). So that narrows the market even more. So the market for The Wall movie on blu-ray would be Pink Floyd fans that love The Wall (let's face it, many don't) and its film adaptation, don't already have it on DVD, or do have it and would like an upgrade in quality. That's a very small number I would think.

Muppet and zinan like this.