Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

I have a feeling there may be a fair few of these boxes available as 'Amazon Warehouse Deals' in the coming weeks.

2. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Can anybody make some comment about the box set contents? How about the remix of DSoT album? How is Pulse in Blu-Ray and it's image quality and sound? And Venice? Come on, share something with the rest of us, who already bought the box, but who still don't have!

3. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

The Us & Them 2019 DSOT Remix i think is better then the original DSOT

andrewskyDE, oneslip17 and jonnyslb like this.
  4. Muppet

Muppet Well-Known Member

Risking yet another debate over “can or can’t you hear something?” Here goes.... deep breath.... on the DSoT 2019 remix of Us And Them, there’s no longer David (I presume) saying “terrible” quite clearly in the right channel as he does in the original DSoT version of Us And Them. It’s just after the first few notes of the saxophone at the beginning of the song.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  5. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I don't ever recall hearing this. Where does it occur in the original mix?

6. Muppet

Muppet Well-Known Member

Sorry I forgot to say where. It’s just after the first few notes of the saxophone at the beginning of the song. I’ve just edited the post.

7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

That's not David. That's someone in the audience.

8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I listened to the highlights in hi res on Amazon Music HD last night and I thought the live tracks had the same EQ problems as the Early Years set. Very disappointed.

Frans T and Billy Infinity like this.
  9. Muppet

Muppet Well-Known Member

That’s why I said ”presume”

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  10. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Neither. That would be a sound that Scott Page makes through his sax. As confirmed by Buford Jones.

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Fair enough. I always presume that every unidentified noise in a Pink Floyd recording is David Gilmour too.

Muppet likes this.
  12. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

Wasn't this in Money? He might be an exceptionally hyperactive bloke, but surely can't be yelling and playing the sax at the same time :D

I don't hear 'terrible' in the new version of Us and Them, but what I most certainly hear is Rick's piano! It's very prominent now and I don't remember it being there in the original at all (especially not at the beginning). I'm surprised.

Juggsnelson and Buran1988 like this.
  13. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Johnny Switchblade: Adventure Punk

That “awwww!” shows up often on DSOT. It’s most certainly Scott Page vocalizing ala Keith Jarrett. I’m not a big fan of it.

14. Freddie Barry

Freddie Barry Active Member

I'm so ****ing eager to see an unboxing video or something! lol

coffeetime and jonnyslb like this.
  15. Buran1988

Buran1988 Well-Known Member

Keith
    Keith Jarrett gets mad when people dare to cough during his concerts... he will have a stroke as soon as he realises that his vocalizing is being compared to Scott Page's jungle sounds!

childerikov and Billy Infinity like this.
  16. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Johnny Switchblade: Adventure Punk

:laugh:

17. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

A friend of mine who also bought the Highlights CD noticed right away that Run Like Hell (Live) was way too loud as well. I don't know if it's due to a mastering error or was done on purpose, but it ruins what would have been a perfect sounding CD! It's so loud and overly compressed that I can't listen to it.

Would anyone know if it sounds this loud and compressed on the actual big boxed set as well?

18. Futurecity

Would anyone know the DR numbers for the 12-track Highlights CD?

I'm curious what the DR is for Run Like Hell (Live), since it's so loud and compressed compared to the other tracks?

19. Music Geek

Music Geek Forum Resident

I think member ponkine has reported it as 7 a few posts above.

Futurecity, ARK and croquetlawns like this.
  20. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

The «aaw» is Scott and the «terrible» is a member of the audience I think.

21. Futurecity

OK, thanks...I wasn't sure if he was referring to Run Like Hell (Live), but I agree...DR 7 is brickwalled actually and hard to tolerate.

22. Scottb

Scottb Forum Resident

Any half decent mastering engineer should have red flagged how loud the track is. I have the single disc and when 'Run Like Hell' came on I had to run over and turn the volume down quite a bit. I have no idea why anyone would master this track so loud as the rest of the CD is not so bad and this track should have had the same DR as the other tracks. It's too bad as that's one of my favorite tracks. What good is remixing it and then brickwalling the sound.

23. ponkine

ponkine Forum Resident

According to Dr Dynamic Range, 'Run Like Hell' is DR=8. Still excessively compressed

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Pink Floyd / The Later Years: 1987-2019
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -0.30 dB -13.89 dB 11:17 01-Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pts. 1-5) (Live at Knebworth 1990, 2019 Mix)
    DR12 -0.61 dB -14.30 dB 3:19 02-Marooned Jam (1994 Recording)
    DR10 -0.42 dB -12.49 dB 5:10 03-One Slip (2019 Remix)
    DR12 -0.61 dB -14.65 dB 5:35 04-Lost For Words (Tour Rehearsal 1994)
    DR9 -0.12 dB -13.86 dB 7:40 05-Us And Them (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder, 2019 Remix)
    DR10 -0.30 dB -12.52 dB 7:43 06-Comfortably Numb (Live at Knebworth 1990, 2019 Mix)
    DR8 -0.48 dB -10.40 dB 8:46 07-Sorrow (2019 Remix)
    DR10 -0.01 dB -12.56 dB 5:20 08-Learning To Fly (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder, 2019 Remix)
    DR11 -0.54 dB -13.99 dB 6:56 09-High Hopes (Early Version, 1994 Recording)
    DR8 -0.35 dB -11.80 dB 5:41 10-On The Turning Away (2019 Remix)
    DR12 -0.31 dB -15.44 dB 4:44 11-Wish You Were Here (Live at Knebworth 1990, 2019 Mix)
    DR8 -0.23 dB -10.25 dB 7:44 12-Run Like Hell (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder, 2019 Remix)

Number of tracks: 12
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 943 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

24. Fixed that for you.:laugh:

JulesRules, ARK, andrewskyDE and 3 others like this.
  25. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

I've never liked the DSOT version of Run Like Hell, but this new remix changed that, I like it a lot, personal choices! Sounds more punchier and instruments are more perceptible!

Buran1988 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.