Phish - St. Louis '93

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GuidedByJonO))), Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident Thread Starter

While it's definitely being overshadowed by The Dead's official release of a legendary, holy grail (to many) show, Phish also announced a forthcoming multi-show box set due in March:

[​IMG]

St. Louis '93 | Shop the Phish Dry Goods Official Store

St. Louis '93 - six discs capturing two shows from the American Theatre in March and August of 1993.

The August show looks to be the pick of the two, some great jams, but both shows look promising. I've not heard either yet.

JayB, jay.dee and Tom Schreck like this.
  2. JayB

JayB Forum Resident

I should have this over the weekend. Looking forward to it. Hope the mastering is ok/tolerable.

3. rockclassics

rockclassics Forum Resident

Looks like if you want actual CDs you are out of luck. Only download appears to be available.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  4. Quincy

Quincy Forum Resident

Maybe not at Drygoods but I have 'em arriving tomorrow from elsewhere.

5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Not surprised it sold out quickly as it was really cheap, something like $30 for 6CDs.

6. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

It is great. '93 Phish holds a special place for me as it was the first year I caught them live. I got the cd set today at my local mom & pop. Sounds pretty good. Should not be a problem picking up the cd set, I don't think it is a limited release.

Cassius likes this.
  7. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

I grew spooked at the sell-out talk, checked ebay, and just purchased the physical product for $29 from ImportCDs - a vendor with whom I've had great experience, though there appears to be at least one other high volume/highly rated seller. If RMD is correct, then we're just waiting for new product and there's no rush. Even so, I'll sleep just a teensy bit sounder tonight...can't wait to hear forum reviews!/peace,KC

David Stilesson likes this.
  8. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I saw a few copies on eBay cheaper than Dry Goods shipped. You might want to look into that.

9. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

They still have bundles that include the 6 CD set.

10. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Sounds pretty good? Can you elaborate a bit on that?

11. GuidedByJonO)))

Argh. Checked the status of my shipment this morning and now it's pushed back until Wednesday. I've ordered from Dry Goods before, but this was my first pre-order. Is this standard for them? Should I be annoyed with them or Fed Ex for not getting this until nearly a week after release with a pre-order months ahead of time?

12. JayB

JayB Forum Resident

8/16/93 sounded decent in the car..Kevorkian mastered these rather than Jon Altschiller which is at least somewhat promising/hopeful.

I hope they stop having Altschiller master the archive releases...he's ruined the last few IMO.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Jackstraw78 likes this.
  13. GuidedByJonO)))

Glad to hear this sounds good. Hopefully someday I'll actually receive mine.

14. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

They are just the 2-track tapes as all of these, or most, of the Phish archival releases. So, yes, sorry, sounds pretty good, that's all I got.

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It's amazing to me that this boxed set is already out of print.

16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Only mp3 download? Odd.

17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The price was so cheap. I wonder how many they made.

18. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Forum Resident

I didn't hear from an official source (so take it with a grain of salt) but I did read someone saying that only 5,000 of the cd box sets were made. This wasn't announced as a limited edition, etc. so hopefully they will produce more of them. It's interesting though that Dry Goods says "sold out" rather than just out of stock, more on the way, etc. I don't know why they wouldn't have announced it as a limited edition if that was going to be the case. I got my copy through Import Cds but haven't listened to it yet.

I've wondered for awhile if Phish will eventually go to more of the model Grateful Dead use of most of their archival releases on cd being sold as limited editions. It would seem to make sense rather than people thinking they'll be around for awhile and then having them unexpectedly go OOP quickly. I wish they'd start a series like Dick's/Dave's Picks where we got a new show every three months or so and just paid in advance for it. If they don't want to put a hard number limited edition series out there they could always just say something like they will make sure they are available on cd for a certain period of time (say a year) for anyone that wants them and after that they won't produce anymore.

Cassius and jay.dee like this.
  19. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Forum Resident

The bundles that are available at this point only include the digital download.

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The Phish powers that be probably know exactly how many CDs they can sell in one shot. They seem to have the finger on the pulse of their buyers.

Quincy likes this.
  21. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Look on eBay if you want the CD set. Priced below what Dry Goods had.

Edit: Only copy left is from Australia.

Officially out of print I guess.

22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

23. GuidedByJonO)))

I'm glad I pre-ordered this one then. Previously, I'd been able to pick up these boxes at local brick and mortar chains, seems those days are over. In fact, I'm fairly certain a copy of Niagara Falls is still sitting at a local Barns & Noble.

24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

$33.15 but from Australia

25. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Correct. They were still available when I made the post.

Now says 'CDs are sold out'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.