Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

Correctly

2. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Saving the second disc ( throwing the new one in the garbage, and keeping the original album in my CD rack. Bought the 2CD set so disc 2 is a keeper.

3. beatlefan99

beatlefan99 Well-Known Member

You are throwing it because of a glitch in 'Souvenir'?

I don't see any other reason of doing it.

Carlox and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

Sorry, but it has never clicked for me. Three major chords, quite obvious melody... I don't see anything special.

jl151080 likes this.
  5. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Cool video. Thanks!

longdist01, maccawings and Mazzy like this.
  6. macca728

macca728 Forum Resident

No problem, everyone has different taste.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  7. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Resident

Paul's beige colored electric keyboard in one of the (3x5?) photos is a Wurlitzer 200A rather than a Fender Rhodes.

Still, great video to see you honor the artwork for someone like me who couldn't afford the Collector's Edition thanks!

longdist01, maccawings and Mazzy like this.
  8. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani Forum's hostage

TAKE ALL ME BRASS! :goodie:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. jl151080

jl151080 Forum Resident

Not so.

MPLRecords likes this.
  10. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

Maybe Golden Earth Girl, kind of runs out of steam after a beautiful opening though

11. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life!

Yep, me. That’s why I just went for a refund.
    That’s the debacle! Lol!
    Beave

rigby2222 likes this.
  12. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

It is common practice to have an "umbrella" name for all customer service messages in a modern company. "Chris" from Universal probably doesn't exist, just like "Sarah" from Whatever.com. All employees sign their mails under the same "fake" name, instead of their real name.
    Not all the time, there are exceptions, but it's common practice.

13. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

If Broad St gets an Archive release I'd love it if they could find a way to include the computer game that came out at the time, which was my introduction to the world of Paul McCartney when I won aca in a national newspaper competition!

14. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Another time where Paul seems to change his opinion to match the criticsa nd the charts. Driving Rain was pretty well promoted. It also had videos for Lonely Road, From a Lover to a Friend, Driving Rain (be it a remix) and Your Loving Flame. But similar to Back to the Egg, after the critics got a hold of it, suddenly he wasn't proud of it anymore.

Your Loving Flaming is such a fantastic love song and should have been on Pure McCartney.

Carlox, jl151080, theMess and 7 others like this.
  15. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of nine copies of Tug of War

Driving Rain got pretty good reviews. It's probably the low sales, relationship to Heather, and mixed fan reception that have diluted it in his mind.

16. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It has a Metacritic rating of 75/100, so I don't think it had anything to do with "the critics", and more to do with the fact that it represents a certain period in his life. He also ignored it on "The McCartney Years".

Lewisboogie and Choba b CCCP like this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

There’s an official video for Driving Rain?

18. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

This may be the remix he speaks of...
    Not sure if it's official.

foxylady, Susan Gagne, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  19. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I think he meant the remix video that was part of the secret website back in the U.S. dvd

20. Pbirdchat

Pbirdchat Forum Resident

I finally got around to the two DVDs included in the Flaming Pie box. I’m noticing music drop outs in several of the music videos. Beautiful Night, in The World Tonight, Young Boy and others
    Any one else?

21. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

@Mazzy loved your video
    one of the most informed, level headed rational commentary I have read or seen on these box sets.
    Ive seen people try and break down the value of each peace of the box, but never take into consideration all the costs you bought up, licensing, art direction , all the different stages of people taking a cut, its limited nature etc etc it mounts up. Its the old adage if you think its silly over priced etc dont buy it, there are heaps of options and complexities for the individual. What you said about it being an archive of a time in his life is so spot on. Its more than just an album its a section of his life..

22. maccawings

maccawings Forum Resident

Thanks for the video. As You have noted to the expense of making sets this nice, much further up thread, I mused that you must also take into the account of climbing prices on all of the different aspects of making these sets during Covid.

Materials, labor, manufacturing and distribution as most businesses are working at partial staff all the way up and down the chain that would have driven up costs as well . Not an excuse or even a justification. But to not consider those factors in folks cash crab theories is quite short sighted IMO.

But in all fairness in regards to the Collector’s Edition, to have those prices fluctuate so widely (from $600 to $350) on the release date, I think is very fair for folks to be a little bent out of shape.

The SDE though I think while more expensive, that considering the problems and conditions that we are facing with Covid, that probably understandable.

If Covid is sorted out prior to the next set or sets, we will see if these disruptions in the supply chain were the reason or whether it was a conscious decision to raise their prices. I take a wait and see outlook.

With that being said, just really happy that during these rather troubling times that we have something nice released that we can sit down and enjoy !

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Eska68, JDeanB and Mazzy like this.
  23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

That one seems to have escaped me all these years. It does seem perhaps unofficial (?).

24. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life!

Boy guys this COVID thing really has killed my weekend.
    Just feeling like el crud o . I’m feeling more like Wally (who’s dead you know), just dropping things, feeling like Arnie in a cell with no out. Even the cats are trying to cheer me up. And then I canceled the uDiscover order, not out of anger, just out of who knows. But our fine member Bill here sold me his so I’ll get it soon, but do any of you just feel really schidty?
    It’s so bad that even on Jazz 24, most of the songs their playing are pissing me off. No Swing, no mojo, no groove, what a schitty weekend.
    Hope this helps anybody out there feeling the same.
    Plus it’s coming up on a year (Aug 23) that we lost Mom.
    Miss Her.
    Beave

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Hang in there. These are unprecedented times, and it is tough to stay positive.
    But hopefully the music will help, although there might be some days when even that isn't working.

supermd, theMess, longdist01 and 4 others like this.