Ozzy Osbourne vinyl box set due November 19

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Son of Ziggy, Aug 23, 2019.

1. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I ordered one on January 5, as I finally decided I needed to have this box. This past Friday, I saw the status of the order had gone to the dreaded Backordered, so I called Musictoday to see what was happening. They said they are going to receive one more fulfillment of the set from the manufacturer. I now see the status has updated to expected to ship around January 24, so I am still hopeful.

If you are on the fence about purchasing this set, I suggest acting now, as this may be the final opportunity.

2. Ryan Fisher

Ryan Fisher Well-Known Member

That makes me feel a bit better. More info than I was given on the phone. Here's hoping they ship on Friday.

3. Biittner Hair Flyin'

Biittner Hair Flyin' Well-Known Member

That makes me wonder if they are producing additional sets beyond the 4,500 that were supposedly produced. Meaning, is Ozzy going to have to sign more COAs?

Seems to me that if they were simply going to get the final ones from the 4,500 that were (initially) produced, they'd have been in hand for shipment pretty quickly. This long delay makes me think that additional sets beyond the 4,500 are being made and being signed by Ozzy.

Unless they're just getting sets shipped from Europe (where perhaps they didn't sell out their allotment) to the USA (where they apparently sold out their initial allotment). But it seems that it wouldn't have taken this long to get those sets shipped from Europe to the USA.

Matthew Tate and Queezma like this.
  4. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

does this set use the same anniversary 2011 masterings for madman and blizzard lps?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

go to the 16 min mark on the 2011 comparison with the 2019 version

Mr.Sean, TongueDruid and thetman like this.
  6. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

excellent video, thanks. probably going to order up those two for now. I have an original bark at the moon in excellent condition. These and my cds, will have to hold me over for now.

7. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I got a shipping notice today!

Mr.Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Ryan Fisher

Got my shipping notification yesterday!! So Stoked to get this. Hoping it arrives by Wednesday.

9. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Forum Resident

I took LordThanos1969's advice above to heart, and finally bit the bullet and ordered this set. I'd been drooling over the set ever since seeing the pictures from others in this thread and reading the reports of these vinyl releases. I suspect this is not going to be available much longer, and I knew I would regret not buying it once it becomes not available for retail purchase any longer. It should arrive at my house tomorrow.

Even though I did not have this set, I had spent time over the last month re-listening to all the Ozzy releases I currently have on both CD and vinyl (First 4 studio albums I have on vinyl, as well as the Tribute live album).

Even though I don't think Ozzy's later albums from this century are as good as those he released in the 80s and 90s..........to me they are still good and worthwhile. I expect this boxset will get a lot of play in my home. This is the reason I bought it, but I do also think this will become a serious collector's item in the future and worth much more than the $500 it cost today.

10. Biittner Hair Flyin'

Has anybody else had any issues with the LP for sides 3 and 4 for "No More Tears"? That LP in my set has the side C label on both sides of that LP, so it's missing the side D label. Since I have two side C labels, I assume that someone else has two side D labels. Or maybe they screwed up and printed only side C labels for both sides of that LP?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Biittner Hair Flyin'

I guess that 4,500 is the total produced, because the set that I just received has a number in the high 2000s. So I assume that maybe the sets they just got back in stock might've come from overseas. So, they probably allotted too many to other countries and not enough to the USA at first.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  12. Biittner Hair Flyin'

WOW -- the U.S. website now says this is, once again, out of stock! It was in stock for, what, six days, if that?

The website is still taking orders and says that it'll be shipped "as soon as it's restocked".

I am glad that I finally took the plunge and bought a set last week. I'm in love with the beautiful colored splattered LPs. They look marvelous.

Matthew Tate and dislocatedday like this.
  13. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

The European shop is out of stock but new ones are coming from mid february

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. dislocatedday

I just received the box this evening. I spent the last hour going through and inspecting everything visually to make sure nothing was missing or broken. It all looks good. As great as the vinyl looks in pictures on the web, it looks even better in person.

While I am going to go through everything in order starting with Blizzard this upcoming weekend, I wanted to start with a later album that I only previously had on CD. I went with Ozzmosis first as that is my 4th favorite album of his behind his Big 3 (Blizzard, Diary, and Tears).

I am listening now and I am absolutely stunned how much better this sounds than the CD from 1995. I honestly was not expecting to notice this big of a difference at all. I just finished side B so only halfway through. It is way more open and dynamic sounding. All the layers of instruments and vocals are more separated out and less congested. Zack's heavy guitar tone is more warm sounding here with some of that upper midrange\lower treble hardness gone that was on the CD. I can't wait to get to "My Jekyl Doesn't Hyde" .

I think I'll also listen to Black Rain tonight before going to sleep.

Juggsnelson and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. dislocatedday

Maybe Ozzy has been slowly working his way through signing the certificates and all 4500 were not available right away. That is a lot of certificates for him to autograph.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Biittner Hair Flyin'

He just revealed that he has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, so I wonder how that will affect his ability to sign any more COAs. Perhaps he can only sign a few at a time before his hand wears out.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Ryan Fisher

I have your two D side labels. I read this post yesterday about 20 minutes before mine was delivered. I just laughed when I saw the two D side labels. Aside from that little error, this set is just amazing. I'm listening to "No More Tears" right now, and it sounds so good. My Wife and kids got a kick out of the Augmented reality stuff. Lots of thought and care put into this set. Well worth the money.

18. Ryan Fisher

I think he's had it for quite awhile. They just came out publicly. I remember noticing his hand trembling as far back as "The Osbournes" show. My Grandfather had Parkinson's as long as I can remember back in the 80s. It's not a lot of fun to watch someone struggle with it for years. Hopefully with more awareness these days, they've got treatment and therapy that can help. I really hope he's well enough to fulfill his tour dates this year. It will probably be the best medicine for him. You can tell He absolutely love to perform.

19. dislocatedday

I know the price of $500 has caused a lot of consternation and is viewed by some as Ozzy and Sharon making a cash grab and trying to rip off the fans, but I don't feel that is the case at all here. I think this is completely worth the asking price, and it is a fair and reasonable amount. With the set you get 16 albums spread across 24 LPs, the nice box, the personally autographed vellum certificate, the gorgeous looking well-pressed splatter vinyl, and most importantly to me.....well mastered vinyl. This box set was done right with a lot of care and attention to detail. The best decision IMO was to get Ryan K Smith to master the vinyl. He does great work, and it appears they left him alone to master it how he sees fit and gave him access to the uncompressed digital files (I assume these came from digital files). These are not just CD files pressed to vinyl. That was my biggest hesitation initially, but the sound quality reports here were good, and then it was revealed that all vinyl had RKS in the deadwax which is usually a good sign.

I have only listened to Ozzmosis and Black Rain so far. Ozzmosis is superb. Black Rain is also much better than the CD and can be cranked unlike the crap mastered CD. Black Rain still has some compression, but this appears to be compression within the mix itself and not added compression during mastering.

So glad I bought this now that I have it. I'm not just saying that to justify my purchase either. If I thought it was average or poorly done and not worth the money I would say so.

20. cwags54

cwags54 Active Member

First posting on this forum but glad I could join in on the purchase of this Ozzy box set. Showed up on Wednesday for my birthday. Best gift yet! Anyone else get there's in less desirable condition for the $500 spent? A couple of seam splits on the outer box. Seam splits on a few album covers. A few posters were bent up. Just a little disappointed on the quality control. The shipping box looked fine. Had a gut feeling this might happen after I placed my order on January 1st and going through a few delays. Oh well, I'll get over it. It was hilarious watching the mailman try to lift the box out of his truck!! Got # 1260.

LordThanos1969 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Well-Known Member

Anyone able to use a musictoday code for a discount? Nothing I've tried seems to work even though the unique codes say they should.... product page also fails to state no coupons or discounts allowed....
    Bueller?

tinnox and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. dislocatedday

Only issue I have is with "Blizzard of Ozz" in that the bottom of the cover has a seam split on it. It looks to me like since this was the top item in the box that it sort of came up out of the styrofoam casing inside the box during shipping and likely moved around some causing the seam split. I'm not going to worry about it though as this is minor and is the only issue I have noticed.

That's unfortunate if you have seam splits on the outer box, and several of the albums. In that case, I maybe would contact MusicToday to see if they can arrange a replacement, assuming they get more in stock.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. You can find lots of good information here, and most members are respectful and helpful. Sometimes threads devolve into ridiculous bickering, but I just move on from those. Music is meant to be enjoyed, and not argued about obsessively.

Matthew Tate and Juggsnelson like this.
  23. dislocatedday

This boxset is considered a special item and is exempt from their promo codes.

Matthew Tate and Bigdz68 like this.
  24. Ryan Fisher

Finally had some free time to go through this amazing set. Right off the bat, "No More Tears" & "Ozzmosis" sound incredible!! The quality of the splatter vinyl is just amazing. They seem to get cooler and cooler as you go through. I cannot imagine anyone having buyer's remorse, unless there is damage to their set or they shouldn't have spent the money in the 1st place. The fact that it would have cost me close to $900 to get inferior pressings of "No More Tears", "Live & Loud" and "Ozzmosis" alone made this thing a no brainer.

I'm a huge KISS fan, and this blows away anything that Universal has put out of theirs. Only boxsets I've bought that come close to this are the series of deluxe editions that Metallica have been putting out. Something to be said for owning the rights to your catalog.

dislocatedday and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. dislocatedday

A somewhat superficial question, but what are everyone's favorite looking vinyl splatter in this set?

Mine comes down to either the "Yellow and Black" of Bark at the Moon, or the "Mint Green and Black" of Black Rain...........but I am going to give the nod to Bark at the Moon. I'm also a Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates fan.......so I could be subconciously voting for Yellow and black!

They all look great, although my copy of No Rest for The Wicked has very little red in the grey vinyl. It probably looks the worst out of all of them.

Matthew Tate and Juggsnelson like this.