No FM Yagi Antennas?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Mar 8, 2018.

1. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

2. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

In the same boat. I currently have a whip antenna in The Magna Dynamics ST2.
    It's a good little antenna, I'm picking up a station 28mi despite a double-edge
    diffraction issue from the West, the direction of the transmitter: One hill on the
    opposite side of the street and one 400' ridge two miles out. The hill is one
    thing; that ridge is nearly impenetrable. The ST2 is supposed to have a gain
    of 2.5db, but I just barely get the station. It's not a coax issue; the length is
    less than 25'. It's that ridge. The good thing about FM waves is that they
    bend slightly, but a 40' ridge is too much for The ST2. Hence, a Yagi.

Aerials are just about done in The US. Overseas is a different matter.

The only one being mass produced for The US market with a gain of approx 7db:

Stellar Labs' 30-2460

If you've got the money:

Rescue Electronics ( As of yesterday, no longer available. You can contact maker. )

Link to comparing models, some discontinued, with an Overload of Tech data:

FM Antennas to Consider

Links to Yagis comparable to the discontinued Antennacraft FM6:

Antennacraft Substitutes

Link to a '60s DiY Antenna:

Electronics World Dec 1967 ( Comical aspect: Utilizing a WOODEN FRAME )

There's a few scattered about The iNet available, but you'll dig deep.

Finally, I like this guy:

Antenna Man

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

This TV/FM DX club has guides for building your own FM antennas: www.wtfda.org. You probably have to join to get them. www.wtfda.org

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Nope

N2VAV. I can't remember how many antennas I have built.

bluesaddict likes this.
  5. Coypu

Coypu Forum Resident

6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

@allied333, or anyone else knowledgeable about FM antennas, looking for your opinion.

Looking for a replacement / upgrade for my FM antenna - looking at three currently:

FM 2500HD: Long Range FM 2500HD FM antenna In Stock - About $110 after shipping.

3 element Yagi: https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-High-Gain-Reception-Directional/dp/B01DWE9I9O - $70 + tax on Amazon, free ship

4 element Yagi: Stellar Labs 30-2460 Four Element Directional Outdoor FM Antenna -says $44.99, have to check out for ship quote, then I would have to check to make sure really in stock.

Regardless of price, which one do you like best? Then, price to value, which one? I think the answer to the second question is the 4 element yagi from Stellar -- but I would have to check stock at that price.

7. allied333

allied333 TUBE AMPLIFIER REBUILDER - inquire Thread Starter

Did not realize the FM 2500HD was available with the nine elements. It will way outperform the others, needs a rotor, of course.